Poor Tommy...

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Poor Tommy...

Post by Rotorooter »

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... 08-clemson

If he had stayed at Tulane, things may have been different...
Plan your work, work your plan.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Poor Tommy...

Post by Poseidon »

You have to give TB one thing... he was scary good judge of coaching talent.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

and he had an eye for talented Assistant Coaches, and not just RR. If he had stayed and we (Tulane) had supported him, we could have been a TCU, instead................
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

“You can’t lose to Wake Forest on Thursday night,” Tommy Bowden says. “You just can’t do it.”
Between all the 20th anniversary interviews and in-depth questioning that Bowden has been taking in the past few months, one might wonder if the bitterness and anger spewed at him by Tulane folks when he left started to become fresh again and he slipped this line in as a backdoor swipe to remind us that we're still small-time 20 years later.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

After pondering this question for a while, I don't think it was meant in any way to take a shot. It may have been as his way, 21 years later, to spur them in the same way he did after the Syracuse game in '97 when he told them (paraphrasing here), "Close isn't good enough". It worked then, but that was a different time and it was "his" team. And we here who were there 20 years ago, will ALWAYS wonder "What if" on two scenarios. I like to think that we would be somewhere in the "5" instead of the "6".

My dad used to say...for a long time in his life, "Tulane can't stand prosperity". And it was meant on a game basis back then, but sometimes I wonder now if that quote was meant to be more than just on a "single game" basis. :roll:

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

The irony of the line is jumping out at everyone here. It doesn't take a PhD in Psych to understand TB has not thought about Tulane one whit in twenty years. It was just a nice way spot where he truly worked hard for two years on his journey to "RVs in the parking lot on Wednesdays" or whatever the Clemson quote to Scotty was. The tell on this is that he didn't arrange his schedule to come to the reunion a few weeks ago. "My boss won't let me" for a very experienced exec with supreme negotiating skills is still only matched in lame-itude with "I couldn't come because I had a client meeting." His unsentimental all purpose backup if that didn't work was "I had to rearrange my sock drawer."