Coaching Carousel '18-'19

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel '18-'19

Post by GreenieBacker »

but if you factor an outsider's perception of how difficult the Tulane job is, wouldn't they see a winning season and minor Bowl win.......would they see this season as an equivalent 8-9 win season anywhere else?

and is age really a factor? Who sticks around for more than 5-6 years anymore?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Age clearly isn't a factor in some situations. Check out Les Miles and Mack Brown getting gigs. But WF going 7-6 isn't an eye opener. When we win 9 actual, not pro-rated, games, then people will start to notice and if somebody wants him bad enough they will overlook his age.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

GB I do think people thinkk 6 here is equal to 8 somewhere else. He'd need 10 somewhere else, 8 here. And yes, age is a factor.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

OK I'm going to try one more time :lol:

an outsider sees the massive dumpster fire that was Tulane Football for a VERY long time (have we forgotten how truly bad it was?) and here comes Willie Fritz who takes over, shows steady progress every year he's here culminating in a winning season and Bowl win...........and he's not worth an interview? Especially if he goes somewhere where maybe its easier to in and make progress more quickly?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

WaveProf wrote:GB I do think people thinkk 6 here is equal to 8 somewhere else. He'd need 10 somewhere else, 8 here. And yes, age is a factor.
Why? 11 here equaled 8 at Clemson.
Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GreenieBacker wrote:OK I'm going to try one more time :lol:

an outsider sees the massive dumpster fire that was Tulane Football for a VERY long time (have we forgotten how truly bad it was?) and here comes Willie Fritz who takes over, shows steady progress every year he's here culminating in a winning season and Bowl win...........and he's not worth an interview? Especially if he goes somewhere where maybe its easier to in and make progress more quickly?
I think the style of play he brings may be a hurdle as well. Parting with Ruse and getting a balanced(non-option perceived) attack may change that perception.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:OK I'm going to try one more time :lol:

I think the style of play he brings may be a hurdle as well. Parting with Ruse and getting a balanced(non-option perceived) attack may change that perception.
Agreed, and that will have to be shown on the field.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:
WaveProf wrote:GB I do think people thinkk 6 here is equal to 8 somewhere else. He'd need 10 somewhere else, 8 here. And yes, age is a factor.
Why? 11 here equaled 8 at Clemson.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Northern Illinois hires Baltimore Ravens RB coach. Good luck with that one.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Dallas Cowboys fired their OC
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Oregon hires Boise State DC.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
OGSB wrote:
OGSB wrote:Alabama OC Mike Locksley to Maryland as head coach.
I didn't read deep enough into the article. How happy are Maryland fans today? His career record is 3-31, including 1-5 at Martland as interim in 2015.
Everything I'm reading says very happy. He was the top choice of many of the players and is known as a big time recruiter in the DMV.

I agree the hire is dubious for two reasons. His head coaching record as you point as is bad and even his record as an OC isn't great if you take out time with Tua and Juice Williams. The other reason is he had all kinds of off the field issues at New Mexico as head coach. He punched an assistant coach and got into a scuffle in a bar with a student reporter. That's not a great look given what Maryland just went through.
I may have to reassess my assessment.
Victory is never permanent