Coaching Carousel '18-'19

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel '18-'19

Unread post by sr »

PeteRasche wrote:The missing part of the equation is a hot coach at a P5 school who has such strong ties to Tulane that he always dreams of coming back. And it wouldn't hurt if said coach frequently "has c0cktails" with one of our billionaire boosters mentioned above (as with Holgerson and the Houston guy). One would think that if this situation existed, that coach would be coaching Tulane instead of Fritz (i.e., would have been hired back when Fritz was, cost-be-damned).

Nonetheless, I read read that story I linked (did y'all read it?) and none of our billionaire boosters seem to be in the same "situation" (with respect to their intent for successful athletics) that this guy is. Sure, they've given a lot of money towards facilities, I but never got the impression any of them have said "go hire {so and so}, we'll make sure he gets every cent required to bring him here"... know what I mean?
So they're not meddling or meddlers ...
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Right now, the Fertitta as boss of UH sports thing looks pretty good. Will it stay that way? Maybe. It should perhaps be mentioned in this “wow what a master of the universe is that Tilman Fertitta” spasm that an indispensable key to this move was Holgorsen’s WVU buyout falling off into affordability. It’s a million dollars but the cost was not damned.

Remember, before anyone throws dirt on our major donors for just getting us facilities, that the push to build us a new physical plant for athletics (with the football stadium leading the way, of course) was what got us out of CUSA and able to talk about having a future at all. And like sr I am glad they don’t dictate to our decision makers. Some meddling, like say telling Troy Dannen you have his back whatever he decides to do after basketball season (nudge, nudge, hint, hint) is good meddling.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I didn't mean to disparage our donors, please don't take it that way. As LG pointed out above, our moves got us out of CUSA, and for that we all shall be forever grateful.

I also remember living in Alabama and being aware of the Bobby Lowder cloud over Auburn athletics, and thinking that I was glad my school wasn't in that situation, so obviously there's a line to be drawn. Commitment to making your school good in a sport is one thing, expecting to be able to call all the shots because you donated a certain amount is another.
long green
Cornerstone

I didn’t think we were that far apart and now I know. Thanks. :thumbsup:
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

It's all relative as concerns "meddling." Try Pickens at Ok State or Knight at OU. Hey just look up the highway and ask Les Miles if the "meddlers" cost him his job at LSU or was it just Scott Rabelais? :wink:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:The missing part of the equation is a hot coach at a P5 school who has such strong ties to Tulane that he always dreams of coming back. And it wouldn't hurt if said coach frequently "has c0cktails" with one of our billionaire boosters mentioned above (as with Holgerson and the Houston guy). One would think that if this situation existed, that coach would be coaching Tulane instead of Fritz (i.e., would have been hired back when Fritz was, cost-be-damned).

Nonetheless, I read read that story I linked (did y'all read it?) and none of our billionaire boosters seem to be in the same "situation" (with respect to their intent for successful athletics) that this guy is. Sure, they've given a lot of money towards facilities, I but never got the impression any of them have said "go hire {so and so}, we'll make sure he gets every cent required to bring him here"... know what I mean?
Pete, We should assume our board members with background/expertise are advising University Athletics management on all these issues. For example, the past Board Chair started at UT in MBB and the current one gave the naming gift for the practice facility and is a minority owner of the Hawks. Boards provide advice and let management operate. Sure this can rise to "meddling" uncontrolled but I can't imagine that's an issue here. Meanwhile thank god for their wallets. We obviously are not self-funding our program from AAC media rights and ticket sales.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Looks like USC looking for an OC... Kingsbury to the AZ cardinals
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Tennessee finally fills it's OC spot. Jim Chaney, OC at Georgia.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote:Tennessee finally fills it's OC spot. Jim Chaney, OC at Georgia.
That seems like a strange move; Georgia's the better job at this stage, seems like.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

GretnaGrn wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Tennessee finally fills it's OC spot. Jim Chaney, OC at Georgia.
That seems like a strange move; Georgia's the better job at this stage, seems like.
It is, but some were dissatisfied with his offenses there. They were really good at times, but they struggled mightily in the red zone and got too conservative at times (see Alabama in the SEC title game). Maybe that had something to do with his departure.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

gerryb323 wrote:Texas State going with West Virginia offensive coordinator, Jake Spivital

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... ead-coach/
And now Kingsbury is looking at Spavital for his OC job with the Cardinals.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Texas State going with West Virginia offensive coordinator, Jake Spivital

If KK does pick Spavital, then AZ is looking to draft Grier at QB with their high draft pick. Rosen didn't exactly have a stellar season.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Freddie Kitchens, current Browns OC, promoted to HC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 7cbff75f2e

I don't get it but that may be just me.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

I lost track of Fat Freddie before this season. Look at him now.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

apparently the Browns Front Office searched to find who should get the credit for the Brown's turnaround season after they let Hugh Jackson go and the Fickle Finger of Fate pointed to this guy and not Williams.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

If KK does pick Spavital, then AZ is looking to draft Grier at QB with their high draft pick. Rosen didn't exactly have a stellar season.
I’d think that they brought in Kingsbury to develop Rosen.
From what I’ve seen, Grier is not projected to go in the 1st round.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Talk that Kingsbury loves Murray which would be pretty wild...trade Rosen?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Would have to I think. And that's after he had a bad year so his trade value will be down.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Would have to I think. And that's after he had a bad year so his trade value will be down.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Looks like Temple is going with NIU coach Rod Carey. He was there for seven years, winning the division four times and the conference title twice including this past year. His first couple of years, with Dave Doeren's recruits were his best (mainly Jordan Lynch). He never won more than eight games after his second full year on the job. I think some fans at NIU were getting frustrated he hadn't been able to return them to 10-win territory. He's also 0-6 in bowl games fwiw.

I bet we beat Temple this year.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Chip Lindsey to Troy
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Chip Lindsey to Troy
9 stops in 13 years, never anywhere more than 2 years, of coaching doesn't seem to matter. :?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Looks like Temple is going with NIU coach Rod Carey. He was there for seven years, winning the division four times and the conference title twice including this past year. His first couple of years, with Dave Doeren's recruits were his best (mainly Jordan Lynch). He never won more than eight games after his second full year on the job. I think some fans at NIU were getting frustrated he hadn't been able to return them to 10-win territory. He's also 0-6 in bowl games fwiw.

I bet we beat Temple this year.
Carey had multiple years with terrible injury luck at QB. They played a killer non-con schedule this year and we're on their way to a perfect league season when they dropped 2 winnable games at the end. He should be set up well for a good start. I guess he was hot to trot and Temple was not in a position to be real choosy. I'd have hired Greg Schiano in their shoes.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

is anybody else surprised Willie Friz's name hasn't come up in any of these coaching vacancies? After all he has an almost universally well respected reputation as a HC from people inside and outside the business, whether we like it or not, the Tulane job is perceived as almost impossible to succeed in and Fritz, while here, has shown steady progress and now a winning season and Bowl win.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

GreenieBacker wrote:is anybody else surprised Willie Friz's name hasn't come up in any of these coaching vacancies? After all he has an almost universally well respected reputation as a HC from people inside and outside the business, whether we like it or not, the Tulane job is perceived as almost impossible to succeed in and Fritz, while here, has shown steady progress and now a winning season and Bowl win.
He's 58 and won the Cure Bowl in year 3. Even with people thinking Tulane is "impossible" he hasn't done enough to be on anyone's radar. He needs to win 8 or 9 + OR take fifteen years off his age
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16