Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:49 pm 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
WKU hiring Tennessee OC.

Wow. Did WKU watch the Vandy game? Let's see - Tennessee. passed 13/33 for 139 yds and ran for 103 yds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:01 pm 
President's Circle

sr wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
WKU hiring Tennessee OC.

Wow. Did WKU watch the Vandy game? Let's see - Tennessee. passed 13/33 for 139 yds and ran for 103 yds.

Tennessee has been poor on offense much of the year, but that has a lot more to do with the pieces at hand than the OC. Helton should be able to step in and win right away at WKU. He was the OC on Brohm's 2014-2015 teams.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:33 pm 
President's Circle

Paul Johnson steps down as Georgia Tech's head coach
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... ead-coach/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 pm 
President's Circle

Texas State going with West Virginia offensive coordinator, Jake Spivital

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... ead-coach/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
windywave wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Just got a notification from Yahoo sports that Louisville fired petrino

These delusional idiots think Brohm is going to leave the B1G for the Louisville dumpster fire. They will have to back up the truck.... oh wait Petrino has a 14MM buyout

It's reportedly Brohm's dream job. If they can find the money, and I suspect they can, he's gone.

He could replace Urban Meyer the way he's going.

Maybe, but Louisville has a head start since their job is already open. More importantly, Brohm went 7-6 at Purdue last year and is 5-5 this year so trending the same way. I'm not sure that's the kind of record OSU will go for, even if it is at Purdue.

That record at Purdue is outstanding and more impressive than anything one else in the conference. I think he gets coach of the year.
Brohm to Louisville reported by ESPN

Just whistling as i walk on by

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
windywave wrote:

These delusional idiots think Brohm is going to leave the B1G for the Louisville dumpster fire. They will have to back up the truck.... oh wait Petrino has a 14MM buyout

It's reportedly Brohm's dream job. If they can find the money, and I suspect they can, he's gone.

Maybe, but Louisville has a head start since their job is already open. More importantly, Brohm went 7-6 at Purdue last year and is 5-5 this year so trending the same way. I'm not sure that's the kind of record OSU will go for, even if it is at Purdue.

That record at Purdue is outstanding and more impressive than anything one else in the conference. I think he gets coach of the year.

I assume that's because he said no?
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 136604002/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
windywave wrote:

I assume that's because he said no?
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 136604002/

Bingo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 am 
President's Circle

I can certainly admit when I'm wrong. All the signs pointed toward Brohm and Louisville being a match, and the fact that he was willing to hear them out means there was some possibility there. It would have been an interesting play for sure.

He must be hoping for a bigger job. I've heard his name mentioned for Auburn which I think is ludicrous, but he could just stick at Purdue one more year in the hopes of having a big season. I think they've got a really nice recruiting class for next year lined up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 am 
President's Circle

I can certainly admit when I'm wrong. All the signs pointed toward Brohm and Louisville being a match, and the fact that he was willing to hear them out means there was some possibility there. It would have been an interesting play for sure.

He must be hoping for a bigger job. I've heard his name mentioned for Auburn which I think is ludicrous, but he could just stick at Purdue one more year in the hopes of having a big season. I think they've got a really nice recruiting class for next year lined up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 am 
Emerald Circle

I was whistling because of the dick response when I asked for the ESPN link

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 am 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I think Louisville is reeling right now and is not the plum job it has been in the past. It will be really interesting to see who lands that job. Clearly, whoever it is, has a big rebuilding on his hands.

Couldn't happen to a "nicer" bunch.

As for Auburn, it wouldn't surprise me to see Malzahn gone or at least on his way out. If they lose their bowl game, I think the Aubies will pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:51 am 
Regent's Circle

Most of us probably would have bet on Brohm returning home to UL like Roy Williams did to UNC. However once UL showed it was willing to push God, Jr. (one Rick Pitino) through the door maybe it then became not quite the cush landing spot it was previously.

Egos are such in Louisville, my SWAG is they do an A&M and throw so much swag at an established P5 coach to get a "name," UL finds someone with a Jimbo-like resume. Thanks to UL, agents of every successful P5 HC will shortly be renegotiating nice raises and extensions just like Brohm got from Purdue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 am 
President's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I think Louisville is reeling right now and is not the plum job it has been in the past. It will be really interesting to see who lands that job. Clearly, whoever it is, has a big rebuilding on his hands.

As for Auburn, it wouldn't surprise me to see Malzahn gone or at least on his way out. If they lose their bowl game, I think the Aubies will pull the trigger.

If Malzahn gets fired, then Auburn is officially a madhouse (if they weren't already). His buyout is $30 million and by some estimates it would take another $30 million to hire a big time coach. I'm not sure what coach would want to take on a job where you win the SEC and then get fired the next year for going 7-5. I'm betting Malzahn is around next year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 am 
President's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

If Malzahn gets fired, then Auburn is officially a madhouse (if they weren't already). His buyout is $30 million and by some estimates it would take another $30 million to hire a big time coach. I'm not sure what coach would want to take on a job where you win the SEC and then get fired the next year for going 7-5. I'm betting Malzahn is around next year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Hey outlaw, news flash, they ARE crazy at Auburn. They are currently negotiating down GM's buyout. You don't do that unless something is up.

If the totally unexpected were to happen next year and we upset them, what do you think will happen then? Hell, when we played them last time, they won 38-13 and we're p!ssed they let some guy rush for 138 yards against their defense (Forte). Irrational is the name of the game in the SEC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 am 
Emerald Circle

Auburn has been that way for decades and has a bevy of donors to buy out contracts as needed. They are and will always be a mess. They just gloss it over with cash. I honestly think coaches who take the job do it because they know they'll get big bank regardless of whether they last 10 years or two. Seriously, the money you'd take in from a single gig there is enough to retire on, and if you got bored, go be an ESPN commentator.

Louisville might look like a mess but they're spending Yum! money to gloss that over. If you think hiring a football coach would be hard, how hard SHOULD their basketball hire have been? Yet they dropped big money and got a great one as if nothing bad had ever happened. And his recruiting hasn't even suffered a bit from it. Remember, it's always only about money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am 
Emerald Circle

I would happily take 30MM as a buyout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 am 
President's Circle

Why in the world would Malzahn agree to lower his buyout? That makes no sense to me.

Yeah Auburn is crazy, but ~60 mil or whatever reduction it ends up being isn't chump change. A lot of that would need to be paid up front and that kind of money doesn't grow on trees, even at Auburn. I bet they keep him at least one more year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

And then there's this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 79cdb34487
Brohm's high school in Louisville had to cancel classes because of a threat related to him turning them down.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:40 pm 
President's Circle

Montgomery supposedly out at ECU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

The Boneyard is celebrating so I’m going to say it’s true.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Why in the world would Malzahn agree to lower his buyout? That makes no sense to me.

Yeah Auburn is crazy, but ~60 mil or whatever reduction it ends up being isn't chump change. A lot of that would need to be paid up front and that kind of money doesn't grow on trees, even at Auburn. I bet they keep him at least one more year.

Better terms for him? Following are hypotheticals. I'm sure there are many more.

Reduced buyout is in place even if he is fired for cause. He can do a Pitino and they still have to pay.

Reduced buyout is front loaded. Most contracts have buyout paid over a term like a salary. (Miles just did this with LSU.)

Reduced buyout does not require offsets from next job as coach or commentator.

Reduced buyout does not require him even to look for a job. (That is a standard T&C of these things.)

Pre/extra funding of typical fringes like country clubs, cars, retirement plans, etc.

School will pay coach's legal and agent costs instead of the coach.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

OGSB wrote:

The Boneyard is celebrating so I’m going to say it’s true.

Yup, it’s out on the wires now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Huge opportunity for ECU. Kansas & UNC jumping on very old retreads gives ECU a shot at any number of good coaches at the SBC & CUSA level and I think ECU would be a great opportunity for some of them. I’d look at Blake Anderson from Ark St. They are said to be looking at Mike Houston of James Madison (NC native).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:43 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Huge opportunity for ECU. Kansas & UNC jumping on very old retreads gives ECU a shot at any number of good coaches at the SBC & CUSA level and I think ECU would be a great opportunity for some of them. I’d look at Blake Anderson from Ark St. They are said to be looking at Mike Houston of James Madison (NC native).

You'd think they would look to App. St. for their hire. Montgomery, fwiw, was in over his head. Houston would not be a bad hire, IMO, but a risk because JMU tends to lose games it should win, and win games it should lose.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next