LSU's Wade talks $ for player says defense at hoops trial...

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
randymc
President's Circle

LSU's Wade talks $ for player says defense at hoops trial...

Post by randymc »

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 06280.html

see last 2-3 paragraphs of attached story
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: LSU's Wade talks $ for player says defense at hoops tria

Post by TUPF »

Shocked...shocked, I tell you! :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I look forward to Scott Rabalais's in depth column about this later in the week.

I'm sure it's a coincidence that LSU's recruiting shot through the ceiling for the 2018 class. I now look with interest to see where Balsa signs next year.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote: I now look with interest to see where Balsa signs next year.
sure as shinola won't be LSU!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

West Middle Tennessee Baptist Tech ia going to lose 5 scholarships over this news coming out.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:West Middle Tennessee Baptist Tech ia going to lose 5 scholarships over this news coming out.
Exactly my thought (intellectual property nod to Jerry Tarkanian).

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but how has LSU basketball not had major sanctions? Shaq publicly said he got paid. Ben Simmons publicly said he got paid. The NCAA has never been afraid to act on "old news" to open investigations. And then this, which is current news. Yet they continue to ignore LSU basketball.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:West Middle Tennessee Baptist Tech ia going to lose 5 scholarships over this news coming out.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but how has LSU basketball not had major sanctions? Shaq publicly said he got paid. Ben Simmons publicly said he got paid. The NCAA has never been afraid to act on "old news" to open investigations. And then this, which is current news. Yet they continue to ignore LSU basketball.
There are pictures
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:

They got paid? :mrgreen:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

The funny thing is that this is barely even news around here. There would be more discussion if Ed Orgeron belched. I dodn't think too many people really even care about LSU basketball.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82 wrote:The funny thing is that this is barely even news around here. There would be more discussion if Ed Orgeron belched. I dodn't think too many people really even care about LSU basketball.
Generally true of the SEC outside of Kentucky and sometimes Florida. I've told the story before of when Alabama knocked #1 Stanford out of the NCAA tournament and the Birmingham paper the next day relegated it to the bottom third of the sports section cover, below the top two-thirds coverage of the football spring game...
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Alleva's all in. Wade is secure for now.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 3cc87.html

It is a long story by an LSU beat reporter but at end of day, Wade issues a non sequitur of having "never, ever" done business with the miscreant while a taped conversation of Wade, well, doing business (while he closes the door) with the miscreant is played in federal court.

You don't need to be an English grammar scholar to parse that meaning. It is pure legalese and one of the best modifed limited hangouts I've seen in forty-plus years.

Wade's mantra now is simply, 'It's in my statement." That of course is one step removed from "No comment" and two steps from "See my lawyer."

If and until the high priest of the LSU cult, one Scott Rabalais, opines on this, Wade remains in the saved club. MLTN that will happen if and when LSU MBB starts losing. Firing Wade today for no cause will cost LSU eight figures and probably more than it paid Miles and staff with a Canada dollop to go away. Firing Wade for cause will cost it nothing and thus the potential need for assistance from the Rabalais pulpit. After all Wade just signed the number four ranked recruiting class in 2018; but it does look like he may now have to work harder to do the same in 2019.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Will Wade needs to come clean about recruiting allegations

by Jeff Duncan

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... clean.html

Maybe Wade is simply a recruiting wunderkind. Maybe he has convinced recruits that basketball once again can be relevant in Baton Rouge, that it will no longer trail baseball, spring football and even gymnastics in the consciousness of the school's fan base.

Or maybe there's more to the story.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I'm of the opinion that LSU basketball will never get good recruits without paying them, and their somewhat-regular "amazing and mysterious ability" to get national top 10 recruits (or assemble top ten classes) is, and always has been, nothing but a function of payments to said recruits.

I know, radical opinion, isn't it? :lol:

I do wonder how Shaq felt while filming "Blue Chips", all the while pretending that the exact same stuff didn't occur to get him to LSU.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:I'm of the opinion that LSU basketball will never get good recruits without paying them, and their somewhat-regular "amazing and mysterious ability" to get national top 10 recruits (or assemble top ten classes) is, and always has been, nothing but a function of payments to said recruits.

I do wonder how Shaq felt while filming "Blue Chips", all the while pretending that the exact same stuff didn't occur to get him to LSU.
Could it have been like a not-secret-secret confession? Like amends to cleanse his conscience?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:I'm of the opinion that LSU basketball will never get good recruits without paying them, and their somewhat-regular "amazing and mysterious ability" to get national top 10 recruits (or assemble top ten classes) is, and always has been, nothing but a function of payments to said recruits.

Could it have been like a not-secret-secret confession? Like amends to cleanse his conscience?
Along with Penny Hardaway, too.

Although I doubt Bobby Knight gave Matt Nover anything under the table to come to Indiana and be a designated screen-setter and rebounder for 4 years... certainly not a duffel bag full of cash and a new tractor for his daddy. :lol:
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

gerryb323 wrote:

Let me say this from 1st hand knowledge.....I know 3 people very well who worked on LSU's campus specifically sports related during Big Baby years. They said if they were ever called to testify about what went on illegally during basketball season they would plead the fifth. Someone with a name sounding like "shack" was def. involved heavily. It still amazes me how crappy they still are with all this known BS going on.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

BACONWAVE wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Let me say this from 1st hand knowledge.....I know 3 people very well who worked on LSU's campus specifically sports related during Big Baby years. They said if they were ever called to testify about what went on illegally during basketball season they would plead the fifth. Someone with a name sounding like "shack" was def. involved heavily. It still amazes me how crappy they still are with all this known BS going on.
Imagine what Kentucky must be doing
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Well it took a week and a breather before the Bama game for the fat reporter to sing but I'm not exactly sure this opera is over. Rabalais still maintains The Advocate's editorial tone on this by emphasizing Wade's legal opinions despite the sub-headline about this "earning scrutiny."

Money quote from Wade interview: "I agree with the judge not allowing it in (to evidence)…I'm confident in what we have done." Last week's beat reporter story was what Wade hadn't "done" but, hey, the arc of this saga has to advance somehow. (Meanwhile is Supreme Court in Wade's future after he takes LSU to Final Four?)

Again it might help if The Advocate's sports staff would simply act like good reporters and press Wade to define specifically what he was "doing" or had "done" in that phone call and any other interactions with the alleged miscreant. Instead we get true house organ journalism here parroting in an unquestioning manner the foxy legal expert Wade's mantra of "No one here but us chickens in the hen house."

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 4c207.html