Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20782
Location: Cincinnati, OH
https://www3.forbes.com/business/colleg ... ball+Teams

Eye opening. TV contracts, bowl games, shoe/gear contracts, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7116
Location: Wisconsin
SEC, BIG, PAC & BIG 12 dominate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30898
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
Ray wrote:
SEC, BIG, PAC & BIG 12 dominate.
That's because they've formed an illegal trust, and have been allowed to get away with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7116
Location: Wisconsin
Roller wrote:
Ray wrote:
SEC, BIG, PAC & BIG 12 dominate.
That's because they've formed an illegal trust, and have been allowed to get away with it.

But those leagues go back well over 50 yrs. & mostly have done a good job even before widespread TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20782
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Ray wrote:
Roller wrote:
Ray wrote:
SEC, BIG, PAC & BIG 12 dominate.
That's because they've formed an illegal trust, and have been allowed to get away with it.

But those leagues go back well over 50 yrs. & mostly have done a good job even before widespread TV.

While I understand your point, even back in those days, "doing well" for most of them still meant losing money in athletics and having their department subsidized by the school. Now the TV contracts (of those leagues) are so big that some football programs subsidize the whole athletic department and still have enough to give money back to the school to keep the academicians quiet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:03 am 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Posts: 1444
Location: Naples, FL
Roller wrote:
Ray wrote:
SEC, BIG, PAC & BIG 12 dominate.
That's because they've formed an illegal trust, and have been allowed to get away with it.

I would say it is because of the number of eyeballs those leagues bring.

_________________
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7116
Location: Wisconsin
Yeah !!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group