Urban Meyer leaving Ohio State

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Urban Meyer leaving Ohio State

Post by TUPF »

Color me shocked. :lol:

Snarky send up on the whole Urban Meyer ethos.

https://apple.news/Ae70o7DQwQ3uWpisGxCEfTw

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: Urban Meyer leaving Ohio State

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Dude is the Brett Favre of coach retirement
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I honest to God think Meyer was shocked to find out what people think of him. He shouldn't be, but I think he was.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Post by pearlriverwave »

he will be the highest paid retiree in ohio government, poor people of ohio has to foot his retirement
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Already talking about coming back in 2020...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz

I guess I've never experienced something like the so-called "drive" to coach that causes guys making millions in the booth watching football with no stress to jump back in and take on the pressure of having to win. But a large part of me wonders if "retiring for health reasons" isn't coach-speak for "we're about to get caught for doing something really bad and I need to be out of here before it goes public". Granted I don't recall Florida getting busted for stuff that occurred under Meyer after he left there and nothing has surfaced at OSU (yet). Last year they played the health card like Meyer was in really bad shape and I believe he even had an "episode" on the sidelines. Of course, Coach K once had to step away for health reasons and he's been back at it for a long time since... who knows?

BTW, in case you don't want to read the story, it mentions the potentially-looming job opening at USC as a possible future destination.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Florida didn't get busted for anything per se, but I believe they had more than their share of players having run-ins with the law. Aaron Hernandez was an Urban Meyer recruit.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

I could see him at Notre Dame
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Florida didn't get busted for anything per se, but I believe they had more than their share of players having run-ins with the law. Aaron Hernandez was an Urban Meyer recruit.
Miami Herald summarized it several years ago... Florida had more player arrests in Urban Meyer's coaching days there than Miami had under Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson, Davis and Coker... combined. Now, some could argue Miami PD looked "the other way", but there still would have been arrests... just swept under the carpet after it happened!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Florida didn't get busted for anything per se, but I believe they had more than their share of players having run-ins with the law. Aaron Hernandez was an Urban Meyer recruit.
Miami Herald summarized it several years ago... Florida had more player arrests in Urban Meyer's coaching days there than Miami had under Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson, Davis and Coker... combined. Now, some could argue Miami PD looked "the other way", but there still would have been arrests... just swept under the carpet after it happened!
There needs to be a 30 for 30 on those UF teams based on the players they had. Think about it, you had Tebow, Percy Harvin, Aaron Hernandez, the Pouncey twins, Riley Cooper, and even Can Newton for a couple seasons.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
There needs to be a 30 for 30 on those UF teams based on the players they had. Think about it, you had Tebow, Percy Harvin, Aaron Hernandez, the Pouncey twins, Riley Cooper, and even Can Newton for a couple seasons.
he left Florida after a laptop theft incident he was involved in and then transferred away right before he was expelled and charged with 3 counts of academic dishonesty
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:Cam Newton
he left Florida after a laptop theft incident he was involved in and then transferred away right before he was expelled and charged with 3 counts of academic dishonesty
And he's not even considered the dirty one of that bunch. Besides Tebow (who was listed for contradiction's sake), he's probably considered the "clean one" of the list. Yeah, he probably took money to go to Auburn, but people forget that stuff and nobody hears about the other things you mentioned.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
And he's not even considered the dirty one of that bunch. Besides Tebow (who was listed for contradiction's sake), he's probably considered the "clean one" of the list. Yeah, he probably took money to go to Auburn, but people forget that stuff and nobody hears about the other things you mentioned.
it was actually talked about a lot during the "Auburn paid his dad for him to come" discussion way back then. As much as a despise the petulant, self absorbed a88clown, he has "rehabilitated" that part of his image. He has kept on the correct side of the law his entire time in Charlotte.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
it was actually talked about a lot during the "Auburn paid his dad for him to come" discussion way back then. As much as a despise the petulant, self absorbed a88clown, he has "rehabilitated" that part of his image. He has kept on the correct side of the law his entire time in Charlotte.
Believe he's still referred to as Scam Newton in most of SEC country (probably $cam Newton when it's spelled out, now that I think about it).
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If you think about it, the stuff Newton got in trouble for at Florida (theft and academic fraud) are the kinds of things that are remedied by suddenly having tens of millions of dollars. So if he was stealing due to being poor and wishing he had "stuff", and if he was cheating academically because all he wanted to do is play football and not coursework, then all his problems are currently resolved.

He does still commit crimes weekly - by what he wears at the postgame press conferences... :lol:
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

PeteRasche wrote:I

He does still commit crimes weekly - by what he wears at the postgame press conferences... :lol:
+1
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:He does still commit crimes weekly - by what he wears at the postgame press conferences... :lol:
I honestly think his recent "foot injury" is actually him not wanting to play any more because of the ridicule he got from the hair thing he did last week... especially the Whitney Houston "Bodyguard" meme.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:He does still commit crimes weekly - by what he wears at the postgame press conferences... :lol:
I honestly think his recent "foot injury" is actually him not wanting to play any more because of the ridicule he got from the hair thing he did last week... especially the Whitney Houston "Bodyguard" meme.
He's not dressing the way he's dressing (didn't just start this year) to avoid attention/ridicule.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
He's not dressing the way he's dressing (didn't just start this year) to avoid attention/ridicule.
oh yes, he wants the attention.. but he hates the ridicule. there wasn't nearly as much push back on his stupid outfits as he got with the grandma look