SEC Commissioner is a tool.

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

SEC Commissioner is a tool.

Post by PeteRasche »

Blames UCF's exclusion from the playoffs on them and their scheduling. Says they, "need to look inward."

Yeah, because they could just call Nick Saban and ask for a game next year and get it, no problem. :roll:

Thankfully Michael White was interviewed and refuted everything the smarmy weasel said.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... atform=amp
Ray
Regent's Circle

Re: SEC Commissioner is a tool.

Post by Ray »

Has anyone in the 'power 5' scheduled them in the next yr. or two ??
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I am convinced (as a conspiracy theorist) that the entire "Georgia should be in the playoff" kerfuffle was staged to suppress any extended talk about UCF leading up to and during the playoff selection show. It's not they were ever getting in, it's that the junta didn't want them talked about beyond a nod or two.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:Blames UCF's exclusion from the playoffs on them and their scheduling. Says they, "need to look inward."

Yeah, because they could just call Nick Saban and ask for a game next year and get it, no problem. :roll:

Thankfully Michael White was interviewed and refuted everything the smarmy weasel said.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... atform=amp
Its complete doody. Even if they were willing to agree to play at a top 10 team with no return it wouldn't be possible. There aren't enough top ten teams( hmmm only say...10) to go around and play every possible non-cartel contender. You think Alabama would play two much less three or four of these schools. The answer is they play none. UCF is stuck with the Pittsburgs' of the world and gets no respect when they clobber them.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Ray wrote:Has anyone in the 'power 5' scheduled them in the next yr. or two ??
They whooped upon this year on ACC divisional winner Pitt, but that doesn't count.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Poseidon wrote:
They whooped upon this year on ACC divisional winner Pitt, but that doesn't count.
OK, :lol: :lol: Thanks !!
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Ray wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Next year they play Pitt and Stanford
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Poseidon wrote:
Ray wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
That's as good as anyone in pre-season that I can think of.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Poseidon wrote:
Ray wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
It won't matter once we hand them a big L next season
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

There's even another level to this. The last two years, UCF had games scheduled against additional P5 opponents, Georgia Tech and North Carolina in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Those games were lost to hurricanes.

The SEC commish would probably say, oh but those teams had losing records and weren't any good. The only problem with that is that UCF scheduled them when they were top caliber teams in their league. UCF scheduled GT in April of 2015. The season prior GT went 11-3 and beat the snot out of Mississippi St. in the Orange Bowl. The series against UNC was scheduled in 2016. All 2015 UNC did was go 11-3 and play for the ACC title. UCF tried to schedule the very best teams they possibly could. It's not their fault that weather took those games away. It's not their fault that those teams got worse in the years between scheduling them and actually playing them.

Meanwhile, let's look at Notre Dame from this year. The Fighting Irish played a typical schedule for them and yet several of the traditionally good squads they played this year were very much down. Stanford won fewer than nine games for just the second time since 2010. Virginia Tech needed a last minute make up game against Marshall to reach a bowl. Florida St. and USC aren't even bowling this year at all. Best of all, ND beat Pitt 19-14 at home. UCF beat them 45-14. Yet no one ever questioned ND's strength of schedule.

I wish someone would point this out to Sankey and the entire national sports media so they could shut up about UCF not playing anybody. Better yet, how about helping UCF get some games against top SEC programs since you're so worried about who their SOS? Rant over.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

You can’t be in our country club because you are not one of us. And you are one of us only when you are in our country club. Simple as that.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I looked at out of conference games- Clemson played The Citadel, Kent State, Georgia Southern and Furman; three of the four are not what I consider national football powerhouses (giving some deference to Georgia Southern). Oklahoma had Florida Atlantic and UCLA; the latter has not done well this year, including losing a game to Cincinnati. Alabama played perennial powerhouses Arkansas State, Mercer and the Citadel.

The "strength of schedule" is based on the perception that they are in a conference that contains other schools that also do a lot of cherry-picking to boost their W-L records, on the premise that their conference is sooooooo tough, they need "warm-up" games to prepare for those other schools in their conference. U. of Tennessee played ETSU this year, decisively beat a team that did not even exist 5 years ago, and even with their out of conference schedule with UNC charlotte and UTEP, and beating ranked teams Auburn and Kentucky (which should make one question just how powerful the SEC is when two of their ranked teams lose to a team that could not reach bowl eligibility)

I mentioned to a local SEC apologist that UCF is in a conference who has had 4 teams in the top 25; he asked "how many are now," and I pointed out that several dropped out when they lost to UCF. Even my brother, whose father in-law is a retired UT prof, admits that schools such as Alabama and Georgia would never schedule an out of conference school that they expect to be a challenging game. his father in law was in town for Thanksgiving, started the mantra, and both me and my brother got him to admit that what we said was true. Nice to be able to make statements when you can overlook the facts...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Seriously guys, why waste the electrons? We all know the game they are playing. It's self-promotion BS. And because they pack the stands with more people, it doesn't matter what is said to dispute it. In other words, what happens on the field accounts for about 10% of the logic of things.

I'm through with the CFB Playoff system. Haven't watched a game in 15 years. CFB is THE most unfair system in sports--even MLB's antitrust system lets smaller market teams win more than CFB. Think about it--CFB has over 125 teams in FBS, but realistically only 25-30 are eligible to win the "championship." Thank you ESPN, CBS, FOX, and ABC.

Yet the myth is perpetrated on, and perpetuated by, athletes like he-who-shall-not-be-named-because-he-stiffed-Tulane-twice-to-go-to-an-SEC-school-but-will-never-see-the-field.
Plan your work, work your plan.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... cf-knights
UF AD would be willing to schedule a 2-for-1, UCF AD says they deserve better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

As posted by others, what would Alabama, Clemson and ND status in CFP be if they played UCF's schedule?

I think we know the answer. No change.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:As posted by others, what would Alabama, Clemson and ND status in CFP be if they played UCF's schedule?
I think we know the answer. No change.
Playing their schedule would mean they were in the AAC so none of them would make the playoff because "their schedule didn't prove they were good".

Or are you imagining some scenario where those schools still had their name cache while only playing teams like ECU and UConn and little old Tulane? You can't have it both ways.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'm not having it both ways. It's good to be Bama, ND or Clemson.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Matt Moscona (LSU tool) spent yesterday screaming into the microphone at the UCF AD for "whining". Says if he wants to be taken seriously he should agree to play 4 road games a year against "good" P5 teams (and not expect a return game because no one would agree to go play in his "mickey mouse 20,000 seat stadium"), and then if they win those games AND "beat joke teams like Temple and Tulane" then "we can talk."
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Matt Moscona (LSU tool) spent yesterday screaming into the microphone at the UCF AD for "whining". Says if he wants to be taken seriously he should agree to play 4 road games a year against "good" P5 teams (and not expect a return game because no one would agree to go play in his "mickey mouse 20,000 seat stadium"), and then if they win those games AND "beat joke teams like Temple and Tulane" then "we can talk."
You can replace LSU with "any P5 fan". They are pretty much all of that opinion. Last year's win by UCF over Auburn was considered a fluke, just like Boise State over Oklahoma. Most of them believe their cellar dwellers would stomp our conference champs every year.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Pete—- sure. What surprised me about this was the combination:

1) he expects UCF to play a super close game with LSU

2) he believes in an 8 team playoff, thinks LSU should be in it
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Matt Moscona (LSU tool) spent yesterday screaming into the microphone at the UCF AD for "whining". Says if he wants to be taken seriously he should agree to play 4 road games a year against "good" P5 teams (and not expect a return game because no one would agree to go play in his "mickey mouse 20,000 seat stadium"), and then if they win those games AND "beat joke teams like Temple and Tulane" then "we can talk."
You can replace LSU with "any P5 fan". They are pretty much all of that opinion. Last year's win by UCF over Auburn was considered a fluke, just like Boise State over Oklahoma. Most of them believe their cellar dwellers would stomp our conference champs every year.
I read somewhere the other day that UCF only won because Auburn was "unmotivated" due to losing in the $EC championship game
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I read somewhere the other day that UCF only won because Auburn was "unmotivated" due to losing in the $EC championship game
My buddy at work fell back on the “they won but only because they don’t have to face that kind of competition every week” excuse. That was still moving the goalposts since before the game he said they didn’t have a chance.

Sadly, he passed away this year. UCF vs LSU would have been interesting if not predictable conversation.
Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Yeah, the SEC teams that lose bowl games never have anything to play for.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Holy crap. Every time I think I'm a well adjusted human being, I read something like this and am reminded how much and how violently I hate those yellow-and-purple bastards.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Wandering Quaker wrote:
Holy crap. Every time I think I'm a well adjusted human being, I read something like this and am reminded how much and how violently I hate those yellow-and-purple bastards.
You ARE the well adjusted one
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count