2018 Bowl Games

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: 2018 Bowl Games

Post by long green »

sr wrote:Oh boy, looks like Alabama & Clemson. Would love to see Oklahoma catch fire and make a game of this.
They have.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

long green wrote:
sr wrote:Oh boy, looks like Alabama & Clemson. Would love to see Oklahoma catch fire and make a game of this.
They have.
Yeah, but a stop here is huge.

Well, no stop.

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

sr wrote:
long green wrote:
They have.
Yeah, but a stop here is huge.

Well, no stop.
OK, they're back to 'They have' ...

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

With "no stop" waiting for its curtain call.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

OU can't stop Bama. Forget about any comebacks.

By the way, notice how many empty seats there are between the 40s? I hope either those are all "Glazer like" suites and the big wigs are back in the club, or those are seats sold to high rollers who are not necessarily fans of either team and they bailed, because the lower bowl of the stadium is less than half full.

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:OU can't stop Bama. Forget about any comebacks.
This one illustrates the importance of starting strong. Different game if OU doesn't fall behind 28-0.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

This article far better summarizes than I ever could how I felt about yesterday’s games. Not that I get involved with the annual $EC lovefest and whether Georgia should have been in instead of the other two pretenders. It’s just that it was boring. After Bama went ahead 28-0 I started watching a cable movie instead, only to check in later when the score showed up on my TV side screen as being a little more competitive. It really wasn’t. And of course the earlier Clemson thrashing of ND was beyond embarrassing for the Domers. The highlight of that game was a pregame bald eagle perching on a ND fan’s arm. We left to go to a neighbor’s get together at halftime.

https://apple.news/AZY7g9EqYS-OwXZHYm3WKiQ

I used to look forward to New Years games in my 20s and 30s when I was not deployed. Now, except for our own bowl, I’ve lost interest and this playoff format isn’t helping any.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Sun Bowl could be good. Pitt can finally get a little revenge for Stanford taking Walt Harris from them and Stanford can get revenge for Pitt giving them Walt Harris.

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Does Oregon not do offense anymore?

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Northwestern is good and will be good
Using big words is not a personal attack

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

windywave wrote:Northwestern is good and will be good
They might be good going forward, but they were extremely lucky this season. They caught many teams in down years and won many close games. Their record is far better than their underlying metrics. If anything I'd bet on regression next season

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
They might be good going forward, but they were extremely lucky this season. They caught many teams in down years and won many close games. Their record is far better than their underlying metrics. If anything I'd bet on regression next season
Agreed with outlaw. NW will be a 6/7/8 win team in the Big1G at best, on average. Which, for them, is pretty darn good. I hope we reach that level.
Plan your work, work your plan.

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Texas takes down Georgia - Texas Fight tonight.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:Texas takes down Georgia - Texas Fight tonight.
SEC...SEC...SEC...
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
And that assessment is based on how many games you watched? (I watch them more than anyone but Tulane)

The first OOC gsme they won was the bowl game. The running back is a frosh who played when their starter blew out his knee (they were garbage up to that point) and their QB next year is a Clemson transfer. I see them winning +/- 1 game next year, but they will be better.
Last edited by windywave on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Agreed with outlaw. NW will be a 6/7/8 win team in the Big1G at best, on average. Which, for them, is pretty darn good. I hope we reach that level.
It's NU

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:Texas takes down Georgia - Texas Fight tonight.
SEC...SEC...SEC...
Wasn't even close

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Best action from the Sugar Bowl - As the poster said who dresses a dog in red and parades him in front of a bull :razz:

https://twitter.com/Dmillzz32/status/10 ... 33024?s=20

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
And that assessment is based on how many games you watched? (I watch them more than anyone but Tulane)

The first OOC gsme they won was the bowl game. The running back is a frosh who played when their starter blew out his knee (they were garbage up to that point) and their QB next year is a Clemson transfer. I see them winning +/- 1 game next year, but they will be better.
I watched them play Purdue, Duke, and Iowa, but you don't really have to watch every game to get a sense for a team from statistics. Their best win on the year (pre-bowl) was beating Wisconsin by 14. Other than that they didn't beat anybody by more than 10 points all year. They beat Rutgers and Nebraska by only 3 and Iowa and Purdue by only 4. They beat Illinois by only 8. They lost to Duke and Akron. This was hardly a dominant team, but instead a team that caught lots of breaks in schedule and in luck.

I think they go 6-6 next year, maybe worse. Nebraska will be better. Wisconsin will be better. Iowa and Purdue will be fine. Minnesota seems to be improving. Michigan St. is no slouch. They play Stanford on the road as well. They record they had this year in close games is unsustainable. Regression to the mean seems very likely.

MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

sr wrote:Best action from the Sugar Bowl - As the poster said who dresses a dog in red and parades him in front of a bull :razz:

the number of people kneeling/bent over/backs turned to a bull is mind-blowing to me.

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

MattK wrote:
sr wrote:Best action from the Sugar Bowl - As the poster said who dresses a dog in red and parades him in front of a bull :razz:

the number of people kneeling/bent over/backs turned to a bull is mind-blowing to me.
As was to be expected, PETA now dropping their 0.02 worth. Something about these animals should be retired. Hell, Bevo's got a trust fund and lives like he's retired anyway.

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Clemson up 31 16 at half... SEC is the best conference, no?

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

This is starting to remind me of Brazil Germany in the world cup

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Honest question: what are the odds the ACC makes a play for UCF? I know obviously FSU and Miami would want to block that hard, but do they have the sway they once had? Adding UCF, at least in current public opinion, would be strengthening a football conference often thought "weakest of the power conferences" (since the Big East fell) but which appears (at least as I type) will once again produce a national champ that dominated Alabama. More than anything it would be making an obvious jab at the SEC, which you know they want to do. The conference would have the team that won 2 of the 3 last national titles (over Alabama no less), and a team that self-claims the title from last year after beating the team that beat both finalists. Bring Miami and FSU up to where they once were, keep Clemson and UCF where they are now, and you might have an argument that the ACC would be better and deeper than even the "almighty, all-powerful" SEC.

Just throwing it out there. I know it's a logistical mess (gives them an odd number, but they can't add another unless they were football-only since they already have 15 in basketball thanks to Notre Dame)

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

No chance. Setting aside FSU and Miami would veto it, UCF doesn't fit the profile for ACC schools and I don't see how that tweaks the SEC