24 Team Playoff Scheme -

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
sr
Regent's Circle

24 Team Playoff Scheme -

Post by sr »

First playoff games start Dec. 15th with last Championship game on Jan. 22nd

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: 24 Team Playoff Scheme -

Post by Baywave1 »

Variation of this is make the G5 champs play-in against each other first while P5'ers get the byes.
wave-em in
President's Circle

Post by wave-em in »

If you want more than 8 (plenty, imo) then go to 12.

1st Rd bye for 'Bama, Clemson, OSU and OU.

UF vs UCF, Mich vs Wash, OSU vs LSU and UGa vs PSU.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wave-em in wrote:If you want more than 8 (plenty, imo) then go to 12.

1st Rd bye for 'Bama, Clemson, OSU and OU.

UF vs UCF, Mich vs Wash, OSU vs LSU and UGa vs PSU.
I agree. I actually like the 12 because it does give some benefit to finishing top 4. (And you obviously meant ND instead of OSU in the top 4 there, I'm sure).
Would also work at 6, if you don't want to go all the way to 12. But I think 8 is inevitable, no?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Last Saturday and this Saturday would be like New Year's Day of old... 8 games each day. Not too bad.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

I think I like it — If it is P6 champs + G5 champs + 13 at-large?

I guess you could cut it to 16 with 5 at-large.
Argument against that, there would be much cannon fodder with 1 seeds beating up on weakest. Of the G5s. Whereas a 24 team play-off would weed out the weaker teams before they see he top seeds.

My primary belief is that, like in every NCAA championship, conference champs should get bids.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Heh, Notre Dame has so much power they moved the Liberty Bowl to Indianapolis.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Too many. Go to 8. P5 champs + one G5 champ + 2 at large

I MIGHT consider 12, but wouldn't like it. More than that ruins college football

The 24 number is coming from FCS 1) FBS isnt FCS 2) the FCS playoffs were more fun at 16
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

:king: Seriously I have the answer. :king: Seriously...

11 Team Playoff...it really works.

1) 5 P5 Champs get bye to the second round This highly incentivizes the conference championship games and the way P5 conferences declare champions. The bye, as we see in the NFL(did you know the Pats haven't won a superbowl when they didn't have a bye), is a clear advantage.

2) 2 G5 Automatic bids into first round. This will ensure the "little guys" a shot without valuing a G5 Conference championship as much as a P5 one.

3) 4 at large bids into first round. These will be the deserving P5 + ND non conference champs. If you didn't win your conference this is part of the disadvantage you have(That includes ND or BYU who don't have conferences to win.

1st Round or "Group Round" will be played the week after Championship games. The participants in include the the 4 at large bids plus two highest ranked G5 teams. It will be played at the home sites of the two highest ranked G5 teams and the highest ranked at large team. The losers can go on to play bowl games around new years if they desire.
2nd Round or "Power Round" will be played by the remaining 8 teams at traditional bowls or rotating bowls the the weekend closest to new years.
3rd Round or "Semifinal" will be played the next weekend. Bowls or sites TBA
4th Round or "Championship" played every MLK Monday making it a tradition.

PROS:
1. Power 5 retains the clear over G5
2. More Games, more money
3. While the P5 champs are automatic. The rankings will still select the at large teams and the best G5 teams. The writers/coaches still get to gave a say.
4. Now all FBS teams have a shot.
5. Teams like Alabama '17 who don't win their conference will now have to pay a price for that, but still get into playoff.
6. It doesn't get rid of bowls.
7. It doesn't leave out P5 conference champions.
8. It encourages conferences create formats that incentivize best teams get the bye.
9. The majority of the selections are clear and straightforward since they are automatic.

CONS:
1. It means some teams could play up to 17 games. (it is worth noting that in the current FCS set some teams can now play up to 16 games and that is with 20 less scholarship players.)
2. A team with a not great record could win the conference.

THINGS THE NCAA COULD DO TO HELP THE PROCESS:
1. Let red-shirting play in conference championship games without penalty.
2. Declare FBS vs FCS games exhibitions resulting in less wear on starters while not counting towards wins or losses.
3. Compensate players for extra games played beyond the 14th game.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy