Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Go Saints!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:46 am 
President's Circle

And I remember SP getting criticism last week for running Kamara on 3rd down which led to the missed Lutz FG. We can't have it both ways.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 am 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Man in Green wrote:
Horrible call aside, it should never have come down to that. Saints had the ball in easy FG range. All Payton had to do is call 3 running plays and kick the FG. The Rams would be out of time outs with barely any time left. But no, Payton has to get cute and pass the ball - hello Dan Quinn. Also, getting burned by a fake punt when McVay loves to call fakes.He ran one against us earlier in the year. That gave them new life. I knew that was coming, how the hell does Payton let that happen? How does he let The Vikings pull off that win last year? How does he lest Vernon Davis burn us for that huge play a few years back? I know SP is the best thing that ever happened to the Saints, but we seem to be on more than our fair share of epic losses under him.

Sean Payton called a high percentage pass play for a HOF QB to his stud WR, it was open and Brees made a very rare poor throw. Payton can’t be blamed for trusting his QB.

The Rams would have had a minute left with no timeouts to get a FG if the Saints run it 3 times and take the FG.
To end the 1st half LA went 81 yards for a TD with 1 Timeout and it took 1:29.
In the AFC Championship game the Chiefs went 48 yards in 24 seconds with 1 timeout to get a FG and send it to OT.
Just before that Brady took the Pats 65 yards in 1:18 for a TD to take the lead. I think they might have used 1 timeout. Point being, you’re wrong if you think being aggressive was not smart.

I’d also like to add that putting the loss to Minnesota last year on Sean Payton is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 am 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Man in Green wrote:
Horrible call aside, it should never have come down to that. Saints had the ball in easy FG range. All Payton had to do is call 3 running plays and kick the FG. The Rams would be out of time outs with barely any time left. But no, Payton has to get cute and pass the ball - hello Dan Quinn. Also, getting burned by a fake punt when McVay loves to call fakes.He ran one against us earlier in the year. That gave them new life. I knew that was coming, how the hell does Payton let that happen? How does he let The Vikings pull off that win last year? How does he lest Vernon Davis burn us for that huge play a few years back? I know SP is the best thing that ever happened to the Saints, but we seem to be on more than our fair share of epic losses under him.

Sean Payton called a high percentage pass play for a HOF QB to his stud WR, it was open and Brees made a very rare poor throw. Payton can’t be blamed for trusting his QB.

The Rams would have had a minute left with no timeouts to get a FG if the Saints run it 3 times and take the FG.
In the AFC Championship game the Chiefs went 48 yards in 24 seconds with 1 timeout to get a FG and send it to OT.
Just before that Brady took the Pats 65 yards in 1:18 for a TD to take the lead. I think they might have used 1 timeout. Point being, you’re wrong if you think being aggressive was not smart.

I’d also like to add that putting the loss to Minnesota last year on Sean Payton is ridiculous.

And the linebackers seemed pretty aware the fake punt was coming. So he had them prepared for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 am 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Of course my favorite team is the Eagles, who overachieved last season and put a scare into the Saints last weekend. With the Eagles out, now it’s the Saints.

Whenever I’m asked, my second favorite team is anyone who plays the Cowboys.

Hey TUPF, if you actually like the Saints, can you stop starting “Go Saints!” threads before they play games you want them to win?
You did the same thing before the cowboys game they lost. http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51754

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. At least I didn’t use a faux Cajun spelling. :oops:

:twisted: too late. You’re worse than whoever it is that starts the ju-ju threads in my book
Are you seriously trolling me from two months ago? KMA.

Jesus Christ, it’s obviously a joke
You have a point, but in fairness to TUPF, he's only now been made aware of the situation. If he defiantly continues these threads next year in the face of all opposition, that would definitely be worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm 
Regent's Circle

Billboards going up …..

https://twitter.com/A_kamara6/status/1087754887801249798?s=20
… and this from last year's loss -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:48 pm 
President's Circle

Clearly the legal action and other noise will go nowhere and die down in short time. But passionate as we Saints fans are, we will put up a fight and are creating a PR nightmare for the NFL. Whether the rule needs to be changed or not, I don't know, not like I want more lengthy booth reviews. But the hassle here will likely force the NFL to do something, and don't be surprised if some sort of monetary exchange or other bone is thrown the Saints' or their fans way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:32 pm 
Regent's Circle

The NFL will probably come out and fine the defender for the helmet on helmet contact; the fine will be a fraction of the money he will earn for going to the Super bowl. Travesty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 pm 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Man in Green wrote:

OK, so the coach is not responsible for the play on the field. I'll try to remember that next time you are ripping into Jewett.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 pm 
President's Circle

Man in Green wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Man in Green wrote:

OK, so the coach is not responsible for the play on the field. I'll try to remember that next time you are ripping into Jewett.

The coach is not responsible for a fluke missed tackle, no. The Saints coaches put Marcus Williams in position to make the play, that’s all the coach can do.

If Jewett has his team winning in the 9th inning of a regional game and his center fielder,who had been good all year, drops a pop fly, I’m not going to blame Jewett.

It’s really an apples to oranges comparison here for a million different reasons . Jewett’s teams haven’t been losing on fluke plays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:43 am 
Breaker Level

visualmagic wrote:
Man in Green wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Man in Green wrote:

The coach is not responsible for a fluke missed tackle, no. The Saints coaches put Marcus Williams in position to make the play, that’s all the coach can do.

If Jewett has his team winning in the 9th inning of a regional game and his center fielder,who had been good all year, drops a pop fly, I’m not going to blame Jewett.

It’s really an apples to oranges comparison here for a million different reasons . Jewett’s teams haven’t been losing on fluke plays.

I don't like the argument that he takes full blame for Minnesota.. but he did have a ROOKIE Safety as only deep man?
Also...for the passing play...why take a chance for an incomplete 4 yard pass???? If you are not going for another 1st down...which he wasn't since ran ball next two downs...then you have no upside with running a 4 yard cross with defenders everywhere up the middle. I liked being aggressive...but run the same damn screen to Hill you scored TD on to make sure complete.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:10 am 
President's Circle

Quote:
Also...for the passing play...why take a chance for an incomplete 4 yard pass????

Go watch the play again, it was going to be a good gain. 6-7 yards at worst.

Quote:
which he wasn't since ran ball next two downs.

They ran on 2nd down and threw on 3rd. They missed an egregious penalty on the 3rd down pass.

Quote:
but run the same damn screen to Hill you scored TD on to make sure complete.

Slant to Thomas was a layup. It’s a completion 99% of the time.

Quote:
but he did have a ROOKIE Safety as only deep man?

Who do you expect back there? Take out the guy because he’s a rookie? He’s your best Safety. A FG would have won it for Minnesota right there. Can’t exactly go into prevent defense

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:21 am 
Regent's Circle

Again, the play call was a run and Brees checked to the slant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am 
President's Circle

He should have never checked out of the play. Even with zero coverage. The play calling sucked in that series. Rams get the ball back with about a minute to play and no time outs if we play for the field goal and not a first down.

And this crap with a lawsuit on a sporting event and billboards in Atlanta is so friggin petty. Yes, the call was terrible, but there is nothing that can be done right now. Address this at the proper time and try to get PI on the list of replayable items, but drop all the other shenanigans.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 am 
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
He should have never checked out of the play. Even with zero coverage. The play calling sucked in that series. Rams get the ball back with about a minute to play and no time outs if we play for the field goal and not a first down.

And this crap with a lawsuit on a sporting event and billboards in Atlanta is so friggin petty. Yes, the call was terrible, but there is nothing that can be done right now. Address this at the proper time and try to get PI on the list of replayable items, but drop all the other shenanigans.

Agree on checking out of the call. But that's not on Payton.
As to the rest, there is something that could be done, but it won't be due to Pandora's box potential.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:28 am 
President's Circle

He checked into a call that sent them to the Super Bowl but for getting jobbed by the refs. Hard to fault him for that.

As for fixing it, adding PI to the list of things that can't be reviewed isn't the fix. There's no reason it couldn't have been an equally egregious holding call/non-call or something else that resulted in the wrong outcome. Just give Riveron the authority to fix egregious errors from the office. He's watching every game now anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:26 am 
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
He checked into a call that sent them to the Super Bowl but for getting jobbed by the refs. Hard to fault him for that.

As for fixing it, adding PI to the list of things that can't be reviewed isn't the fix. There's no reason it couldn't have been an equally egregious holding call/non-call or something else that resulted in the wrong outcome. Just give Riveron the authority to fix egregious errors from the office. He's watching every game now anyway.

Not the third down call, the first down slant to Thomas.

Also, don't they already have the ability to call helmet to helmet on review? Or is that just college?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 am 
Crest Level

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:

Getting the ball at the 25 with a minute left and no timeouts, I'd like the Rams odds of kicking a FG. Especially given what we saw from their kicker. I don't have a problem with the play calling/audible...the Saints haven't been a run the ball into the line 3 times team for the entirety of Brees/Payton, why start now?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Getting the ball at the 25 with a minute left and no timeouts, I'd like the Rams odds of kicking a FG. Especially given what we saw from their kicker. I don't have a problem with the play calling/audible...the Saints haven't been a run the ball into the line 3 times team for the entirety of Brees/Payton, why start now?

People saying they should have run 3 times in a row, are basing that on the results rather than the process.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 pm 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

People saying they should have run 3 times in a row, are basing that on the results rather than the process.

Agree - probably would have left about 1 min, still too much time to let the Rams score.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:34 pm 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
MattK wrote:

Not the third down call, the first down slant to Thomas.

Also, don't they already have the ability to call helmet to helmet on review? Or is that just college?

Only College

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:37 pm 
President's Circle

MattK wrote:

Best idea I have heard yet. I would add only for the playoffs. Regular season, the calls should even out and if you get screwed once, you have 15 weeks to make up for it.

But in the playoffs, especially in the context of this moment in the NFC Champ game, NY should be able to buzz in and say - we're changing this call when it's egregious and clear. I don't think anyone outside of LA (and probably within LA for the amount of them who care) would have had a problem with it in this case.

If nothing else, there was nothing that was a judgment call about the helmet to helmet aspect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:41 pm 
President's Circle

doncecco wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Agree - probably would have left about 1 min, still too much time to let the Rams score.

Right, 1 minute is plenty of time to go 35 yards and get a FG. Zeurlein wasn't missing anything under 60 yards. Offenses seem to have a big advantage in those end of half situations for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:50 am 
Emerald Circle

Speaking of Zeurlein, wtf was up with that fade/draw on the tying FG? And how do I incorporate that into my golf swing?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am 
Emerald Circle

all sorts of rumors floating around this morning: that the Ram's DB will be fined for his blatant head shot (which will revive the controversy after all the head shot, hitting a defenseless player and pass interference are all handmaidens on that non-call), that the NFL will award a First Round pick to the Saints as compensation for the missed call..............

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next