Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: Charlotte
my friend's son was a Pelicans' season ticket holder for 17-18.. he received an email yesterday shortly after Anthony Davis asked for a trade asking if he would like to renew his Pels season tickets for the 19-20 season.

I guess you can file under "nice try"

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20687
Location: New Orleans
very nice article at the Advocate by Kushner on the trainwreck that is the Pelicans

Kushner: As Anthony Davis demands trade, the Pelicans are officially a failure -- at all levels

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 71e6c.html

don't know why Benson bothered to buy them if he wasn't going to get somebody that knew what he was doing to run things.

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6651
GreenieBacker wrote:
very nice article at the Advocate by Kushner on the trainwreck that is the Pelicans

Kushner: As Anthony Davis demands trade, the Pelicans are officially a failure -- at all levels

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 71e6c.html

don't know why Benson bothered to buy them if he wasn't going to get somebody that knew what he was doing to run things.


Benson bought the NBA team for the same reason he bought the Saints. It was a good investment and the state subsidies made him (and now her) richer than Croesus.


The Pelicans are now sellers. As Kushner notes, based on all post Davis personnel decisions, who has confidence this management crew will succeed in trading the Pels' All-Star?


Meanwhile if you like NBA games, I think you'll be able to go to Smoothie King quite economically for the next several months (and perhaps years.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:10 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2638
Johnny Mac wrote:
my friend's son was a Pelicans' season ticket holder for 17-18.. he received an email yesterday shortly after Anthony Davis asked for a trade asking if he would like to renew his Pels season tickets for the 19-20 season.

I guess you can file under "nice try"


Funny, I got a groupon email yesterday with pelicans tickets. They may wanna stick with that approach.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3617
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
MattK wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
my friend's son was a Pelicans' season ticket holder for 17-18.. he received an email yesterday shortly after Anthony Davis asked for a trade asking if he would like to renew his Pels season tickets for the 19-20 season.

I guess you can file under "nice try"


Funny, I got a groupon email yesterday with pelicans tickets. They may wanna stick with that approach.

reminds me of what the then bobcats did back when they didn't win the first pick in the draft to get Davis; next day they released an offer on groupon for buy one year of season tickets get a second year free (or something like that). local radio had a field day with it.

_________________
Tulane BSCE & Army ROTC class of 2004


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7673
Location: Charlotte
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
reminds me of what the then bobcats did back when they didn't win the first pick in the draft to get Davis; next day they released an offer on groupon for buy one year of season tickets get a second year free (or something like that). local radio had a field day with it.


a few years back, I checked stubhub for Bobcats ticket prices and they were offering tickets for $4.. I texted my buddy and told him he'd pay more for a combo meal at Wendy's than Bobcats tickets.. that team was a dumpster fire and it's still smoldering a bit now.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:14 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10472
Johnny Mac wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
reminds me of what the then bobcats did back when they didn't win the first pick in the draft to get Davis; next day they released an offer on groupon for buy one year of season tickets get a second year free (or something like that). local radio had a field day with it.


a few years back, I checked stubhub for Bobcats ticket prices and they were offering tickets for $4.. I texted my buddy and told him he'd pay more for a combo meal at Wendy's than Bobcats tickets.. that team was a dumpster fire and it's still smoldering a bit now.

Sad thing is that the Bobcats/Hornets have won more games since that draft than the Hornets/Pels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20687
Location: New Orleans
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.


https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Baton Rouge
GreenieBacker wrote:
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.


https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D


He's a homer from L.A. played at UCLA.

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Anthony Davis failed miserably.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Last edited by Poseidon on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5967
Location: Wichita
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.


https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D


He's a homer from L.A. played at UCLA.

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Davis failed miserably.

Anthony Davis is from Chicago and played at Kentucky

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5967
Location: Wichita
And now that I read the link, for anyone else who doesn't want to click, the story is about BARON Davis talking about Anthony Davis. Not confusing at all.

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 25513
Location: New Orleans
The Pelicans have been in worse shape than this since they’ve been here. If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis they can re-acquire a marketable future very quickly. Loomis has to go more for the sake of optics than anything else. A first-rate GM will want to report only to ownership.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Baton Rouge
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.


https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D


He's a homer from L.A. played at UCLA.

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Davis failed miserably.

Anthony Davis is from Chicago and played at Kentucky


The quote is by Baron Davis.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20687
Location: New Orleans
If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis...........

agree completely but do the Pelicans have the Owner who can see that, will aggressively move forward and is interested enough to actually get their hands dirty and do it? I've thought the Pelicans suffered through benign neglect from the top for years.

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:28 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10472
long green wrote:
The Pelicans have been in worse shape than this since they’ve been here. If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis they can re-acquire a marketable future very quickly. Loomis has to go more for the sake of optics than anything else. A first-rate GM will want to report only to ownership.

There needs to be a President of basketball operations or some such title...most teams are structured this way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10472
GreenieBacker wrote:
If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis...........

agree completely but do the Pelicans have the Owner who can see that, will aggressively move forward and is interested enough to actually get their hands dirty and do it? I've thought the Pelicans suffered through benign neglect from the top for years.

No, unless the national scrutiny from all of this shames them into doing so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5967
Location: Wichita
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.


https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D


He's a homer from L.A. played at UCLA.

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Davis failed miserably.

Anthony Davis is from Chicago and played at Kentucky


The quote is by Baron Davis.

One wouldn't know that from just the quote

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 3011
Location: Baton Rouge
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.


https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D


He's a homer from L.A. played at UCLA.

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Davis failed miserably.

Anthony Davis is from Chicago and played at Kentucky


The quote is by Baron Davis.

One wouldn't know that from just the quote


You're cool I saw your second post after I posted this. Heck I even originally just wrote Davis in the second sentence talking about Anthony when the article was about Baron.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5967
Location: Wichita
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.


https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D


He's a homer from L.A. played at UCLA.

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Davis failed miserably.

Anthony Davis is from Chicago and played at Kentucky


The quote is by Baron Davis.

One wouldn't know that from just the quote


You're cool I saw your second post after I posted this. Heck I even originally just wrote Davis in the second sentence talking about Anthony when the article was about Baron.

I thought it was odd Anthony Davis would give that kind of interview!

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20687
Location: New Orleans
but if you had bothered to actually read the article I posted...........

:wink:

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group