Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 am 
Regent's Circle

my friend's son was a Pelicans' season ticket holder for 17-18.. he received an email yesterday shortly after Anthony Davis asked for a trade asking if he would like to renew his Pels season tickets for the 19-20 season.

I guess you can file under "nice try"

Post subject: Re: pretty funny
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:29 am 
Emerald Circle

very nice article at the Advocate by Kushner on the trainwreck that is the Pelicans

Kushner: As Anthony Davis demands trade, the Pelicans are officially a failure -- at all levels

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 71e6c.html

don't know why Benson bothered to buy them if he wasn't going to get somebody that knew what he was doing to run things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:47 am 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
very nice article at the Advocate by Kushner on the trainwreck that is the Pelicans

Kushner: As Anthony Davis demands trade, the Pelicans are officially a failure -- at all levels

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 71e6c.html

don't know why Benson bothered to buy them if he wasn't going to get somebody that knew what he was doing to run things.

Benson bought the NBA team for the same reason he bought the Saints. It was a good investment and the state subsidies made him (and now her) richer than Croesus.

The Pelicans are now sellers. As Kushner notes, based on all post Davis personnel decisions, who has confidence this management crew will succeed in trading the Pels' All-Star?

Meanwhile if you like NBA games, I think you'll be able to go to Smoothie King quite economically for the next several months (and perhaps years.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:10 am 
President's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
my friend's son was a Pelicans' season ticket holder for 17-18.. he received an email yesterday shortly after Anthony Davis asked for a trade asking if he would like to renew his Pels season tickets for the 19-20 season.

Funny, I got a groupon email yesterday with pelicans tickets. They may wanna stick with that approach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 am 
President's Circle

MattK wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Funny, I got a groupon email yesterday with pelicans tickets. They may wanna stick with that approach.

reminds me of what the then bobcats did back when they didn't win the first pick in the draft to get Davis; next day they released an offer on groupon for buy one year of season tickets get a second year free (or something like that). local radio had a field day with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am 
Regent's Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
reminds me of what the then bobcats did back when they didn't win the first pick in the draft to get Davis; next day they released an offer on groupon for buy one year of season tickets get a second year free (or something like that). local radio had a field day with it.

a few years back, I checked stubhub for Bobcats ticket prices and they were offering tickets for $4.. I texted my buddy and told him he'd pay more for a combo meal at Wendy's than Bobcats tickets.. that team was a dumpster fire and it's still smoldering a bit now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:

a few years back, I checked stubhub for Bobcats ticket prices and they were offering tickets for $4.. I texted my buddy and told him he'd pay more for a combo meal at Wendy's than Bobcats tickets.. that team was a dumpster fire and it's still smoldering a bit now.

Sad thing is that the Bobcats/Hornets have won more games since that draft than the Hornets/Pels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 am 
Emerald Circle

"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... b8cec.html

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
"I'd rather have $120 (million) and live in LA than $240 (million in New Orleans)," he said.

Davis also went on in the show to say he doesn't see New Orleans as a basketball city and that the Pelicans organization hasn't given Anthony Davis the assets around him he needs to succeed.

interesting comment from a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise when he was here :-D

He's a homer from L.A. played at UCLA.

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Anthony Davis failed miserably.

Last edited by Poseidon on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am 
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Davis failed miserably.

Anthony Davis is from Chicago and played at Kentucky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:16 am 
Regent's Circle

And now that I read the link, for anyone else who doesn't want to click, the story is about BARON Davis talking about Anthony Davis. Not confusing at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 am 
Cornerstone

The Pelicans have been in worse shape than this since they’ve been here. If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis they can re-acquire a marketable future very quickly. Loomis has to go more for the sake of optics than anything else. A first-rate GM will want to report only to ownership.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 am 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

One side no one is mentioning is in an age where players have to recruit free agent talent to come play with them Davis failed miserably.

The quote is by Baron Davis.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am 
Emerald Circle

If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis...........

agree completely but do the Pelicans have the Owner who can see that, will aggressively move forward and is interested enough to actually get their hands dirty and do it? I've thought the Pelicans suffered through benign neglect from the top for years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
The Pelicans have been in worse shape than this since they’ve been here. If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis they can re-acquire a marketable future very quickly. Loomis has to go more for the sake of optics than anything else. A first-rate GM will want to report only to ownership.

There needs to be a President of basketball operations or some such title...most teams are structured this way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
If they get a real GM, get Loomis out of the picture, and get a good deal for Davis...........

agree completely but do the Pelicans have the Owner who can see that, will aggressively move forward and is interested enough to actually get their hands dirty and do it? I've thought the Pelicans suffered through benign neglect from the top for years.

No, unless the national scrutiny from all of this shames them into doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

One wouldn't know that from just the quote

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

You're cool I saw your second post after I posted this. Heck I even originally just wrote Davis in the second sentence talking about Anthony when the article was about Baron.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

You're cool I saw your second post after I posted this. Heck I even originally just wrote Davis in the second sentence talking about Anthony when the article was about Baron.

I thought it was odd Anthony Davis would give that kind of interview!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

but if you had bothered to actually read the article I posted...........

:wink: