lsu basketball

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle
Posts: 3935
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Greeneville, TN

Re: lsu basketball

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The NCAA let UNC off without any sanctions at all after their whole fake classes scandal. It won't surprise me if LSU lawyers up, stonewalls, and two years down the road gets off without injury.

User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 20324
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD

Re: lsu basketball

Post by TUPF »

Maybe Aunt Becky has been doing consulting work for LSU with the NCAA. 8)
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11145
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: lsu basketball

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Pete, five players have declared for the draft. As you know, they are testing the waters. If not drafted, they head back to LSU, G-League, or Europe. Only one player is projected to go high in the draft, and possibly one more later in the draft.
I'm less curious about their players and much more curious to see if the NCAA actually does anything. I have a hard time seeing any way Wade returns to LSU but if the NCAA just lets them off with no sanction of any sort, there should be an investigation into that.
The NCAA just formally opened an investigation into Louisville yesterday. The Louisville stuff broke well before Wade's tape (the most recent one, anyway) so I'd guess there's quite some time before we hear anything.

User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: lsu basketball

Post by Johnny Mac »

LSU just reinstated Wade... just... wow.
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23626
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: lsu basketball

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:LSU just reinstated Wade... just... wow.
Step two will be the NCAA announcing they've found no wrongdoing and closing the case.

I'm telling you, Alleva has compromising photos of Emmert.

Baywave1
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7440
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: lsu basketball

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:LSU just reinstated Wade... just... wow.
Step two will be the NCAA announcing they've found no wrongdoing and closing the case.

I'm telling you, Alleva has compromising photos of Emmert.
we need ron burgundy to report this story.

Rabalais gave the heads up several weeks ago but even by LSU standards this is unbelievable.

gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6990
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Wichita

Re: lsu basketball

Post by gerryb323 »

It's pretty much exactly what happened in Arizona, so not really surprising
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

1401973
Navigator Level
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 am
Location: River Ridge

Re: lsu basketball

Post by 1401973 »

This looks, sounds, and feels nasty.
Not a surprise. Looking forward to the protests from the lsu fans . :roll: :roll:

User avatar
TU77CAL82
Coach Level
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Location: Broadmoor

Re: lsu basketball

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Mouton: LSU, Will Wade's statements tell different stories
https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nc ... 82494937b1
What Alleva didn’t say was, 'I welcome our coach back,' or 'we believe in our coach.' He stayed away from all those things. Instead, he said:
"...he answered all questions and denied any wrongdoing in connection with recently reported allegations of irregularities in college basketball recruiting."
Plus:
“Coach Wade's explanations and clarifications offered during the meeting, absent actual evidence of misconduct, satisfy his contractual obligation to LSU."

User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: lsu basketball

Post by Johnny Mac »

It would be interesting if the FBI decides to go full "Lori Loughlin" on guys like Self, Wade and Miller and indict them for wire fraud and money laundering.
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

AO Sig
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8037
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee

Re: lsu basketball

Post by AO Sig »

Johnny Mac wrote:It would be interesting if the FBI decides to go full "Lori Loughlin" on guys like Self, Wade and Miller and indict them for wire fraud and money laundering.
We can only wish. :twisted:
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

User avatar
djh
Coach Level
Posts: 2458
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:35 am

Re: lsu basketball

Post by djh »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Mouton: LSU, Will Wade's statements tell different stories
https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nc ... 82494937b1
What Alleva didn’t say was, 'I welcome our coach back,' or 'we believe in our coach.' He stayed away from all those things. Instead, he said:
"...he answered all questions and denied any wrongdoing in connection with recently reported allegations of irregularities in college basketball recruiting."
Plus:
“Coach Wade's explanations and clarifications offered during the meeting, absent actual evidence of misconduct, satisfy his contractual obligation to LSU."
Excuse me, 'ABSENT ACTUAL EVIDENCE OF MISCONDUCT'. The fact that the FBI has Wade saying something like 'I made a he** of an offer to the kid' is NOT actual evidence. Did I just fall down some cosmic bunny hole? What the heck is that? Same old same old from the boys up the river and the NCAA again does nothing. Oh, that's right they are in the $EC. What a sad joke.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'

Baywave1
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7440
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: lsu basketball

Post by Baywave1 »

Johnny Mac wrote:It would be interesting if the FBI decides to go full "Lori Loughlin" on guys like Self, Wade and Miller and indict them for wire fraud and money laundering.
Full FBI would be going after the players and their families. We'll see if Mr. Smart is calling his lawyer today.

If you believe today's WSJ reporting (behind a paywall), that's what FBI is doing in the Loughlin case as well as the extra charges like money laundering against the parents.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/students-g ... ge=1&pos=1


Meanwhile DJH's analysis is dead-on. Alleva's comments are bizarre and foreboding as concerns Mr. Wade's future with LSU. This story is far from finished.

User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: lsu basketball

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote: Meanwhile DJH's analysis is dead-on. Alleva's comments are bizarre and foreboding as concerns Mr. Wade's future with LSU. This story is far from finished.
that was indeed a good catch.. Alleva appears to have measured his words, wisely
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23626
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: lsu basketball

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:It's pretty much exactly what happened in Arizona, so not really surprising
Did they have Sean Miller on the phone directly talking about what he offered a recruit? I thought Arizona's was a third party or an assistant (I could be misremembering). In this case, it's the friggin head coach on the phone talking about paying a recruit. There's no plausible deniability of knowledge.

I would love to know what explanation Wade's attorney told him to give LSU that kept him within his "contractual obligations".

User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: lsu basketball

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:It's pretty much exactly what happened in Arizona, so not really surprising
Did they have Sean Miller on the phone directly talking about what he offered a recruit? I thought Arizona's was a third party or an assistant (I could be misremembering). In this case, it's the friggin head coach on the phone talking about paying a recruit. There's no plausible deniability of knowledge.

I would love to know what explanation Wade's attorney told him to give LSU that kept him within his "contractual obligations".
Miller was also recorded on a wiretap
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6990
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Wichita

Re: lsu basketball

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:It's pretty much exactly what happened in Arizona, so not really surprising
Did they have Sean Miller on the phone directly talking about what he offered a recruit? I thought Arizona's was a third party or an assistant (I could be misremembering). In this case, it's the friggin head coach on the phone talking about paying a recruit. There's no plausible deniability of knowledge.

I would love to know what explanation Wade's attorney told him to give LSU that kept him within his "contractual obligations".
Miller was also recorded on a wiretap
Yeah, what he said. Essentially the same
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

User avatar
CT Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Location: Naples, FL

Re: lsu basketball

Post by CT Wave »

My thought is that his "contractual obligation" is to meet and speak with the administration. He had been refusing to do even that.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11145
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: lsu basketball

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:It's pretty much exactly what happened in Arizona, so not really surprising
Did they have Sean Miller on the phone directly talking about what he offered a recruit? I thought Arizona's was a third party or an assistant (I could be misremembering). In this case, it's the friggin head coach on the phone talking about paying a recruit. There's no plausible deniability of knowledge.

I would love to know what explanation Wade's attorney told him to give LSU that kept him within his "contractual obligations".
Wade could either say that wasn't him, or (probably more likely), that it was him and he said those things but he didn't do them. If Alleva wants/has to get rid of him, he will want to do so in a way that doesn't involve paying him the rest of his contract. Without proof that the offer was actually made and/or accepted, simply saying you made a strong a** offer isn't going to meet that threshold so Alleva's hands are pretty tied at this point. If Wade meets the obligations of his contract (by meeting with the LSU administration) then Alleva will just have to wait (or fire a popular coach and eat the rest of his contract) until there's more proof.

User avatar
maddog
President's Circle
Posts: 4844
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:47 pm
Location: new orleans

Re: lsu basketball

Post by maddog »

I believe Will Wade has been subpoenaed to testify at a criminal trial. As I understand it, the defandant's counsel will seek to establish that under the table payments are business as usual and his client was not influencing behavior; instead his client was sort of being extorted. Under oath, Wade will get to explain that nasty wiretap conversation. I would expect Wade to be asked about illegal payments to the entire roster, one player at a time. He will be under oath. If he denies the payments, I would start calling parents to the stand.

User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6624
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: lsu basketball

Post by GretnaGrn »

maddog wrote:I believe Will Wade has been subpoenaed to testify at a criminal trial. As I understand it, the defandant's counsel will seek to establish that under the table payments are business as usual and his client was not influencing behavior; instead his client was sort of being extorted. Under oath, Wade will get to explain that nasty wiretap conversation. I would expect Wade to be asked about illegal payments to the entire roster, one player at a time. He will be under oath. If he denies the payments, I would start calling parents to the stand.

User avatar
OGSB
Emerald Circle
Posts: 16891
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm

Re: lsu basketball

Post by OGSB »

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23626
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: lsu basketball

Post by PeteRasche »

Judge’s ruling rocks college hoops world: 'I should have cheated my whole career'
This ruling increases the onus on the NCAA’s ability to enforce its rulebook without government assistance, and could be considered a significant setback to that organization in investigating both Arizona and LSU. The NCAA has a new rule allowing it to import evidence from such proceedings, and this ruling certainly eliminates the most obvious of those opportunities. The timing of the NCAA’s inquiry into the schools tied into the federal case is still unknown, since it cannot fully investigate until all of the federal investigations have ended.
Seriously, makes you think it's time for Tulane to start cheating again. Forget the "moral high road"... how can anyone win fairly when everyone else is cheating?

User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 20324
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD

Re: lsu basketball

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:Judge’s ruling rocks college hoops world: 'I should have cheated my whole career'
This ruling increases the onus on the NCAA’s ability to enforce its rulebook without government assistance, and could be considered a significant setback to that organization in investigating both Arizona and LSU. The NCAA has a new rule allowing it to import evidence from such proceedings, and this ruling certainly eliminates the most obvious of those opportunities. The timing of the NCAA’s inquiry into the schools tied into the federal case is still unknown, since it cannot fully investigate until all of the federal investigations have ended.
Seriously, makes you think it's time for Tulane to start cheating again. Forget the "moral high road"... how can anyone win fairly when everyone else is cheating?
Sometimes I wonder if it the times we are in or that it has always been that way and there are just more flashlights now flushing out the roaches. Boeing sleezes out on rigorous software qualification because the USG has too few assets and let’s the fox guard the henhouse. Would we have known unless two plane crashes had occurred? Did anyone actually go to prison for the 2007/8 financial meltdown? LSU seems like it’s just boys and locker room talk. 8)
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6990
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Wichita

Re: lsu basketball

Post by gerryb323 »

Another instance of a longer suspension than windy's
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

Post Reply