Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:59 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Pretty boring day one. Nary a buzzer beater, bunch of underdogs kept it close until the last minute or two but fell apart. Auburn got lucky (NMSU dude will be shooting free throws in his sleep for the rest of his life). Disappointed in Yale not taking care of business against upriver (or the NCAA sanctions committee, for that matter). Glad to see Greg Gary and Purdue move on, but they rarely seem to play up to their season result once they get to the tournament. Ja Morant is the real deal, eh?

My 7 year old son filled out a bracket with me for fun, picking based on mascots, names, and logos. He's never watched a college basketball game before. He aced day one. 16/16. Per the CBS bracket site, that puts him in a group of 0.26% of the hundred-million-ish who submitted there. :shock: :shock: :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:22 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3272
Location: Greeneville, TN
Maybe Conroy and the fighting jr Pitinos can take care of business and end LSU's run.

The end of that Auburn NMSU game was nuts. The Aggies had 3 solid opportunities to win, plus their PG passed up a wide open lay up to tie and likely send it to OT. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. We still saw two 10s and a 12 win so it's not as chalky as it could've been

On edit LSU plays Maryland. Getting my M states mixed up


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:09 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
It seems that even when a 12 or a 13 wins, it's nowhere near as exciting as when they win close. Like, a 12 wins on a buzzer beater and it's the story of the day, but if they win by 15 it's "meh". It shouldn't be that way but it seems to be.

The only upset blowout I can think of that still seemed exciting was last year when a 16 finally beat a 1, and it was a 20+ point blowout. I watched the last 10 minutes of that and it was glorious. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:28 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19123
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
PeteRasche wrote:
My 7 year old son filled out a bracket with me for fun, picking based on mascots, names, and logos. He's never watched a college basketball game before. He aced day one. 16/16. Per the CBS bracket site, that puts him in a group of 0.26% of the hundred-million-ish who submitted there. :shock: :shock: :shock:
A real life Diane Chambers from Cheers winning the bar football pool based on ferocity of the mascots. Well done, son.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:27 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5896
Location: Wichita
PeteRasche wrote:
It seems that even when a 12 or a 13 wins, it's nowhere near as exciting as when they win close. Like, a 12 wins on a buzzer beater and it's the story of the day, but if they win by 15 it's "meh". It shouldn't be that way but it seems to be.

The only upset blowout I can think of that still seemed exciting was last year when a 16 finally beat a 1, and it was a 20+ point blowout. I watched the last 10 minutes of that and it was glorious. :lol:

The committee seeds for those upsets. A team like Murray State should never be a 12. And Marquette was a 4 solely based on membership in an (overrated) Big East. Plus you can watch all these teams all the time. 20 years ago you couldn't watch Yale basketball except in person. Takes away a lot of the mystique.

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:09 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3272
Location: Greeneville, TN
Cincinnati is absolutely choking this game away. They had a 13 point lead in the first half, and yet they continue to play right into Iowa's hands when they are on offense. For them to go out in the first round will be extremely, extremely disappointing for the conference. Once again 0 sweet 16 teams for the AAC since UConn in 2014. That's unacceptable if we want to be taken seriously as a basketball conference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:35 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3272
Location: Greeneville, TN
And Cinci goes down. What a let down for the AAC, yet again. Cinci may be the biggest waste of space in the bracket the last few years. Now it's up to UCF and Houston. Hopefully one of them can put something together.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20625
Location: New Orleans
That was friggin' pathetic. Great so two AAC teams go down in flames and we're not even finished with the First Round............

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10407
Think we should probably win at least a conference game before we start downtalking teams that actually made the tournament.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20625
Location: New Orleans
absolutely we're not allowed to offer an opinion on a topic about the tournament or feel discouragement that our conference mates are faring badly :roll:

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:55 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 7225
Location: Omnipresent
Tulane has never lost to a 16 seed so go ahead on that one

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:01 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6608
1309th WAVE wrote:
Tulane has never lost to a 16 seed so go ahead on that one


I will with pleasure. It's dejavu all over again for the Cavs if they don't wake up soon. (I assume they will.)

However this would be the most troubling back to back tank in any sport at any level that I can recall if G. Webb keeps it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:10 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20625
Location: New Orleans
Tenn. up by 12 over Colgate at the half, looks like they'll move on.

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:29 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19123
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
GreenieBacker wrote:
Tenn. up by 12 over Colgate at the half, looks like they'll move on.

Apparently TN stayed in the locker room at the half, down by 2 with 10:30 to go.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20625
Location: New Orleans
:shock:

although it looks like Tenn. may be on a small run right now. And UVA only up by 6 against G-Webb

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:23 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7250
Location: Wisconsin
PeteRasche wrote:
Pretty boring day one. Nary a buzzer beater, bunch of underdogs kept it close until the last minute or two but fell apart. Auburn got lucky (NMSU dude will be shooting free throws in his sleep for the rest of his life). Disappointed in Yale not taking care of business against upriver (or the NCAA sanctions committee, for that matter). Glad to see Greg Gary and Purdue move on, but they rarely seem to play up to their season result once they get to the tournament. Ja Morant is the real deal, eh?

My 7 year old son filled out a bracket with me for fun, picking based on mascots, names, and logos. He's never watched a college basketball game before. He aced day one. 16/16. Per the CBS bracket site, that puts him in a group of 0.26% of the hundred-million-ish who submitted there. :shock: :shock: :shock:

ALWAYS go with the Mascots !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 25385
Location: New Orleans
Houston advances in flames, 84-55.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3272
Location: Greeneville, TN
Liberty upsets Mississippi St. Along with Murray St. And Oregon that's 3 12 seeds advancing. And new Mexico st was a whisker from taking out Auburn


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Ray wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Pretty boring day one. Nary a buzzer beater, bunch of underdogs kept it close until the last minute or two but fell apart. Auburn got lucky (NMSU dude will be shooting free throws in his sleep for the rest of his life). Disappointed in Yale not taking care of business against upriver (or the NCAA sanctions committee, for that matter). Glad to see Greg Gary and Purdue move on, but they rarely seem to play up to their season result once they get to the tournament. Ja Morant is the real deal, eh?

My 7 year old son filled out a bracket with me for fun, picking based on mascots, names, and logos. He's never watched a college basketball game before. He aced day one. 16/16. Per the CBS bracket site, that puts him in a group of 0.26% of the hundred-million-ish who submitted there. :shock: :shock: :shock:

ALWAYS go with the Mascots !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well......

My son's favorite food is cheese. So guess who he had winning the whole thing? The team that lost to Oregon in the first round. So much for that perfect bracket.... or winning our family pool.
(actually his perfect bracket ended after the first game today, he picked Cincinnati)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19123
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Note to self: go with the #12 seeds. Three of four #12 seeds advanced, and NM St. only lost by a point or it would have been 4 of 4.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5896
Location: Wichita
TUPF wrote:
Note to self: go with the #12 seeds. Three of four #12 seeds advanced, and NM St. only lost by a point or it would have been 4 of 4.

After going 1-3 on free throws when fouled on a 3 down 2 with like 2 seconds left. They shoulda won

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:34 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7250
Location: Wisconsin
TUPF wrote:
Note to self: go with the #12 seeds. Three of four #12 seeds advanced, and NM St. only lost by a point or it would have been 4 of 4.

YEP …… Amazing !!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:54 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 21509
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Historically the pros always say that taking 12s over 5s is a fool's game because statistically the 5s win more. But I think that percentage is trending towards 12s in the past few years.

Meanwhile, Iona had everything falling in the first half and led #1 UNC by 5 at half. Sadly (for the excitement factor, not everyone's brackets) UNC has wasted no time taking control in the second half and leads by double digits already.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:13 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 25385
Location: New Orleans
UCF beats VCU by double digits.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7250
Location: Wisconsin
IMPRESSIVE !!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group