2019 NCAA Tournament thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

2019 NCAA Tournament thread

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Pretty boring day one. Nary a buzzer beater, bunch of underdogs kept it close until the last minute or two but fell apart. Auburn got lucky (NMSU dude will be shooting free throws in his sleep for the rest of his life). Disappointed in Yale not taking care of business against upriver (or the NCAA sanctions committee, for that matter). Glad to see Greg Gary and Purdue move on, but they rarely seem to play up to their season result once they get to the tournament. Ja Morant is the real deal, eh?

My 7 year old son filled out a bracket with me for fun, picking based on mascots, names, and logos. He's never watched a college basketball game before. He aced day one. 16/16. Per the CBS bracket site, that puts him in a group of 0.26% of the hundred-million-ish who submitted there. :shock: :shock: :shock:
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament thread

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Maybe Conroy and the fighting jr Pitinos can take care of business and end LSU's run.

The end of that Auburn NMSU game was nuts. The Aggies had 3 solid opportunities to win, plus their PG passed up a wide open lay up to tie and likely send it to OT. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. We still saw two 10s and a 12 win so it's not as chalky as it could've been

On edit LSU plays Maryland. Getting my M states mixed up
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

It seems that even when a 12 or a 13 wins, it's nowhere near as exciting as when they win close. Like, a 12 wins on a buzzer beater and it's the story of the day, but if they win by 15 it's "meh". It shouldn't be that way but it seems to be.

The only upset blowout I can think of that still seemed exciting was last year when a 16 finally beat a 1, and it was a 20+ point blowout. I watched the last 10 minutes of that and it was glorious. :lol:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:My 7 year old son filled out a bracket with me for fun, picking based on mascots, names, and logos. He's never watched a college basketball game before. He aced day one. 16/16. Per the CBS bracket site, that puts him in a group of 0.26% of the hundred-million-ish who submitted there. :shock: :shock: :shock:
A real life Diane Chambers from Cheers winning the bar football pool based on ferocity of the mascots. Well done, son.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:It seems that even when a 12 or a 13 wins, it's nowhere near as exciting as when they win close. Like, a 12 wins on a buzzer beater and it's the story of the day, but if they win by 15 it's "meh". It shouldn't be that way but it seems to be.

The only upset blowout I can think of that still seemed exciting was last year when a 16 finally beat a 1, and it was a 20+ point blowout. I watched the last 10 minutes of that and it was glorious. :lol:
The committee seeds for those upsets. A team like Murray State should never be a 12. And Marquette was a 4 solely based on membership in an (overrated) Big East. Plus you can watch all these teams all the time. 20 years ago you couldn't watch Yale basketball except in person. Takes away a lot of the mystique.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Cincinnati is absolutely choking this game away. They had a 13 point lead in the first half, and yet they continue to play right into Iowa's hands when they are on offense. For them to go out in the first round will be extremely, extremely disappointing for the conference. Once again 0 sweet 16 teams for the AAC since UConn in 2014. That's unacceptable if we want to be taken seriously as a basketball conference.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

And Cinci goes down. What a let down for the AAC, yet again. Cinci may be the biggest waste of space in the bracket the last few years. Now it's up to UCF and Houston. Hopefully one of them can put something together.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

That was friggin' pathetic. Great so two AAC teams go down in flames and we're not even finished with the First Round............
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Think we should probably win at least a conference game before we start downtalking teams that actually made the tournament.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

absolutely we're not allowed to offer an opinion on a topic about the tournament or feel discouragement that our conference mates are faring badly :roll:
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

Tulane has never lost to a 16 seed so go ahead on that one
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

1309th WAVE wrote:Tulane has never lost to a 16 seed so go ahead on that one
I will with pleasure. It's dejavu all over again for the Cavs if they don't wake up soon. (I assume they will.)

However this would be the most troubling back to back tank in any sport at any level that I can recall if G. Webb keeps it up.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Tenn. up by 12 over Colgate at the half, looks like they'll move on.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

GreenieBacker wrote:Tenn. up by 12 over Colgate at the half, looks like they'll move on.
Apparently TN stayed in the locker room at the half, down by 2 with 10:30 to go.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

:shock:

although it looks like Tenn. may be on a small run right now. And UVA only up by 6 against G-Webb
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

PeteRasche wrote:Pretty boring day one. Nary a buzzer beater, bunch of underdogs kept it close until the last minute or two but fell apart. Auburn got lucky (NMSU dude will be shooting free throws in his sleep for the rest of his life). Disappointed in Yale not taking care of business against upriver (or the NCAA sanctions committee, for that matter). Glad to see Greg Gary and Purdue move on, but they rarely seem to play up to their season result once they get to the tournament. Ja Morant is the real deal, eh?

My 7 year old son filled out a bracket with me for fun, picking based on mascots, names, and logos. He's never watched a college basketball game before. He aced day one. 16/16. Per the CBS bracket site, that puts him in a group of 0.26% of the hundred-million-ish who submitted there. :shock: :shock: :shock:
ALWAYS go with the Mascots !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Houston advances in flames, 84-55.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Liberty upsets Mississippi St. Along with Murray St. And Oregon that's 3 12 seeds advancing. And new Mexico st was a whisker from taking out Auburn
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Ray wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Pretty boring day one. Nary a buzzer beater, bunch of underdogs kept it close until the last minute or two but fell apart. Auburn got lucky (NMSU dude will be shooting free throws in his sleep for the rest of his life). Disappointed in Yale not taking care of business against upriver (or the NCAA sanctions committee, for that matter). Glad to see Greg Gary and Purdue move on, but they rarely seem to play up to their season result once they get to the tournament. Ja Morant is the real deal, eh?

ALWAYS go with the Mascots !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well......

My son's favorite food is cheese. So guess who he had winning the whole thing? The team that lost to Oregon in the first round. So much for that perfect bracket.... or winning our family pool.
(actually his perfect bracket ended after the first game today, he picked Cincinnati)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Note to self: go with the #12 seeds. Three of four #12 seeds advanced, and NM St. only lost by a point or it would have been 4 of 4.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:Note to self: go with the #12 seeds. Three of four #12 seeds advanced, and NM St. only lost by a point or it would have been 4 of 4.
After going 1-3 on free throws when fouled on a 3 down 2 with like 2 seconds left. They shoulda won
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

TUPF wrote:Note to self: go with the #12 seeds. Three of four #12 seeds advanced, and NM St. only lost by a point or it would have been 4 of 4.
YEP …… Amazing !!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Historically the pros always say that taking 12s over 5s is a fool's game because statistically the 5s win more. But I think that percentage is trending towards 12s in the past few years.

Meanwhile, Iona had everything falling in the first half and led #1 UNC by 5 at half. Sadly (for the excitement factor, not everyone's brackets) UNC has wasted no time taking control in the second half and leads by double digits already.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

UCF beats VCU by double digits.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

IMPRESSIVE !!