2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote:Never quit. Never ever quit. Sharks are the best sports example for a certain team of green. Also a reminder how nothing matches the intensity of 7th game OT Stanley Cup hockey. Nothing.

I attended the Southeastern game last night and then watched the Sharks-Knights. If I were Jewett, I would just hold practice today in the video room and all I would do is show videos of last half of 3rd period and then OT. Best example of Never Ever Quit, I can recall in decades. I did not go to bed depressed for Tulane.
from what I read, Vegas got the Saints' pass interference "no call" level treatment which put San Jose back into the game... the referees invented a major penalty when one didn't occur.. after the game, the ref said the Golden Knight player cross checked Joe Pavelski in the face.. which absolutely, 100% did not happen. Pavelski fell to the ice and cut his head there, not from the stick contact, which was not to the face. That blown call cost a team their playoffs.

Yeah, the Sharks never quit, but a 5 minute gift power play is what gave them the opportunity.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Never quit. Never ever quit. Sharks are the best sports example for a certain team of green. Also a reminder how nothing matches the intensity of 7th game OT Stanley Cup hockey. Nothing.

I attended the Southeastern game last night and then watched the Sharks-Knights. If I were Jewett, I would just hold practice today in the video room and all I would do is show videos of last half of 3rd period and then OT. Best example of Never Ever Quit, I can recall in decades. I did not go to bed depressed for Tulane.
from what I read, Vegas got the Saints' pass interference "no call" level treatment which put San Jose back into the game... the referees invented a major penalty when one didn't occur.. after the game, the ref said the Golden Knight player cross checked Joe Pavelski in the face.. which absolutely, 100% did not happen. Pavelski fell to the ice and cut his head there, not from the stick contact, which was not to the face. That blown call cost a team their playoffs.

Yeah, the Sharks never quit, but a 5 minute gift power play is what gave them the opportunity.
Yeah, Eakin just popped him from the faceoff and caught him off balance. The fall hurt him more than anything. The major was ridiculous. If anything a 2 minute intereference penalty? But SJ was down 3-0 at the time and literally scored all 4 goals during that penalty. Robbed
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

correction.. it wasn't after the game when the ref said it was a cross check to the face, it was right after the call.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Guys, I think the refs treated it like the hit on Kemp should have been called in the Houston game. Pavelski was destined for major dental surgery after his injury earlier in the game where he caught a puck in the face. Whether right or wrong the ref viewed the third quarter cross check (on a face off no less) as a cheap shot on an already hurt player by a team easily coasting to victory. I'm glad the refs did not swallow their whistles and/or undercall it as the Kemp hit was lo these many years ago.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote:Guys, I think the refs treated it like the hit on Kemp should have been called in the Houston game. Pavelski was destined for major dental surgery after his injury earlier in the game where he caught a puck in the face. Whether right or wrong the ref viewed the third quarter cross check (on a face off no less) as a cheap shot on an already hurt player by a team easily coasting to victory. I'm glad the refs did not swallow their whistles and/or undercall it as the Kemp hit was lo these many years ago.
the ref skated over to Gerard Gallant and said "he hit him in the face with a cross check"... neither ref saw this happen.. neither linesman saw this happen.. because it didn't. The referee invented a penalty. After the game, the head of officials made up some bullshiat excuse that sounds like you described there.. enforcement of a perceived "cheap shot" that eventually resulted in injury. That was AFTER almost an hour to digest what happened and they spun the explanation of the call. You cannot erase the fact the referees DID NOT call it like it was described AFTER the game.. they called it a "cross check to the face"... which again, they did not see happen... because it didn't.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

NHL officiating is capricious. Loads of phantom calls this season, as well as intentional fouls ignored. The pavelski call wasnt the only mystery major I have seen. It's a wonder the players don't just start throwing crap at the officials.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Carolina just took out the Caps in double OT. I literally just turned it on as they passed and scored. Sad I missed the game.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:Carolina just took out the Caps in double OT. I literally just turned it on as they passed and scored. Sad I missed the game.
Capitals are just plain awful.. not sure how they won 3 games in this series... they were dominated throughout overtime. All 4 wild cards advance... no division winners remain
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

No division winners advancing is pretty historic. We wont see that again for some time.

Looking ahead, I like the Blues and the Sharks in the west and Bruins and Isles in the east. My heart says Blues Isles with the Blues taking the cup after years of disappointment. My head says Sharks Bruins, with Boston adding yet another title. That city has had all the luck for two decades now
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I wonder if Babe Ruth still feels it was a good idea to call out and pummel a kid who looked up to him in grammar school. It totally changed that series when Ovechkin was pulled off the ice for his fighting penalty. At least Harper is starting to feel some remorse about how unhelpful his ejections are to Phillies.

Hurricanes need Svechnikov back if they are to run deep into playoffs.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote:Hurricanes need Svechnikov back if they are to run deep into playoffs.
they essentially skated 2 lines in OT last night.. sure they dominated but had the Capitals pushed it to a 3rd OT, exhaustion would have been the downfall of the Hurricanes. They don't possess enough talented depth to beat a Columbus, Boston, and even possibly the Islanders... not sure if one guy back makes the difference, there.

The Capitals obviously missed Oshie, as their 2nd and 3rd lines were nearly invisible while actually playing in the 1.75 OTs. Truly amazing how few shots the Caps were able to generate in the extra time. I honestly don't care enough to look for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps fans are still whining about the hit the removed Oshie from the playoffs.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering Quaker wrote:NHL officiating is capricious. Loads of phantom calls this season, as well as intentional fouls ignored. The pavelski call wasnt the only mystery major I have seen. It's a wonder the players don't just start throwing crap at the officials.
Apparently the NHL apologized to the Knights for the penalty. The parallel to the saints non-call is a bit silly. More like the roughing-the-Brady penalty in the AFC championship
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:
Wandering Quaker wrote:NHL officiating is capricious. Loads of phantom calls this season, as well as intentional fouls ignored. The pavelski call wasnt the only mystery major I have seen. It's a wonder the players don't just start throwing crap at the officials.
Apparently the NHL apologized to the Knights for the penalty. The parallel to the saints non-call is a bit silly. More like the roughing-the-Brady penalty in the AFC championship
they also removed the 2 referees from the playoff rotation.. and one is a seasoned veteran. Too little, too late for the Golden Knights and their fans.. much like with the Saints.

BTW, if that was "roughing the passer" on Brady, where was the roughing the passer by the Rams on the ball Brees threw up for grabs in overtime? Dude clubbed Drew right across the face mask and there was no call. Everyone was so hyper focused on the blown pass interference/helmet to helmet hit that was missed that nobody has ever addressed that play. Saints should have still had the ball around midfield, 1st and 10.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
they also removed the 2 referees from the playoff rotation.. and one is a seasoned veteran. Too little, too late for the Golden Knights and their fans.. much like with the Saints.

BTW, if that was "roughing the passer" on Brady, where was the roughing the passer by the Rams on the ball Brees threw up for grabs in overtime? Dude clubbed Drew right across the face mask and there was no call. Everyone was so hyper focused on the blown pass interference/helmet to helmet hit that was missed that nobody has ever addressed that play. Saints should have still had the ball around midfield, 1st and 10.
Brees was on the wrong team! But obviously, as discussed ad nauseum, if the intereference gets called, the game is over
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

If one was to have filled out any "brackets" for the SCP, one would probably be out of the picture for winning any $ right now. :roll: Unless you may have been drunk when you filled them out. Or maybe just threw darts at a board. Either of those scenarios would have worked better than if you had put your knowledge of who might win any pairings in round one. None of the best teams in the 4 divisions of the NHL made it out of the 1st round. :thumbdown:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Fan Since '54 wrote:If one was to have filled out any "brackets" for the SCP, one would probably be out of the picture for winning any $ right now. :roll: Unless you may have been drunk when you filled them out. Or maybe just threw darts at a board. Either of those scenarios would have worked better than if you had put your knowledge of who might win any pairings in round one. None of the best teams in the 4 divisions of the NHL made it out of the 1st round. :thumbdown:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan

Little late to the game eh FS54? We were discussing this last week just a few posts up :lol:

Just giving you a hard time. While having upsets can be exciting I do generally prefer to see the teams that performed well over the season advance in the playoffs. My guess is, the upsets aren't over either.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Yea, late to the party as usual. But looking forward, with the 8 teams left, I think I'd like to see the Blues raise the cup. Way back when I used to listen to Dan Kelly announce the Blues over KMOX in St. Louis. It was a 50K watt flame thrower and back then it was just after the league expanded big time, and the Blues made the finals with Glen Hall in goal. And when we were on a cruise to NE and the Canadian Maritimes last year, we met some folks from MO who were Blues fans, so for now at least, I am a Blues fan.

Anyway, just about anyone left could win it and now whoever does wouldn't have been written in been on any bracket in early April to raise that big silver thingy.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

it's starting to shape up as a Carolina/Columbus Eastern Conference Final, unless the Bruins do a 180 tonight...

that would be bad for hockey. Nobody is going to watch that outside of Columbus, OH. People in Raleigh only half give a shiat about the team.. although they are notorious bandwagoneers... they'll fill up the barn, but TV ratings will be non existent
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Johnny Mac wrote:it's starting to shape up as a Carolina/Columbus Eastern Conference Final, unless the Bruins do a 180 tonight...

that would be bad for hockey. Nobody is going to watch that outside of Columbus, OH. People in Raleigh only half give a shiat about the team.. although they are notorious bandwagoneers... they'll fill up the barn, but TV ratings will be non existent
Counterpoint, maybe it will help expand hockey's fan base? Making the Stanley Cup final two years ago sure nudged a whole lot of folks into the Preds camp. I've seen way more Preds gear and stickers in the last couple of years than I ever did before. I'm sure ratings will be down, but I've always thought it was good for professional sports to have fresh faces win their titles every so often. Yes, the traditional powers will carry more weight, but how will the newer franchises get to build that tradition without getting some championships themselves? Long run it may turn out better for hockey.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Counterpoint, maybe it will help expand hockey's fan base? Making the Stanley Cup final two years ago sure nudged a whole lot of folks into the Preds camp. I've seen way more Preds gear and stickers in the last couple of years than I ever did before. I'm sure ratings will be down, but I've always thought it was good for professional sports to have fresh faces win their titles every so often. Yes, the traditional powers will carry more weight, but how will the newer franchises get to build that tradition without getting some championships themselves? Long run it may turn out better for hockey.
Carolina has been in the finals twice, won the cup once.. they are still struggling to fill their arena on most nights. As I said, Columbus and Ohio will be going nuts... Raleigh and the rest of the Carolinas will spend their days wondering why the Panthers drafted a QB and wondering if Roy can keep up in the arms race with Coach K. Ten years ago, you could have added "will Junior finally become a decent race car driver or continue to ride the coat tails of his deceased father?" but NASCAR is essentially dead, even here in Charlotte.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

I agree with both of you. Probably bad for ratings this year, but may help grow the fanbase. Nashville is a great example. Blue Jackets get no coverage here in Cincinnati. Perhaps a deep playoff run could change that. I'd like to see the Blue Jackets get support from the whole state the way Nashville does in Tennessee.

Regarding the Carolina team, it's interesting to note that the Whaler ownership originally wanted to move to Columbus. The ECHL team, the Chill, were very popular in the 90's and sold out just over 75% of their games, including 83 games in a row.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Boston Columbus is going 7
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Counterpoint, maybe it will help expand hockey's fan base? Making the Stanley Cup final two years ago sure nudged a whole lot of folks into the Preds camp. I've seen way more Preds gear and stickers in the last couple of years than I ever did before. I'm sure ratings will be down, but I've always thought it was good for professional sports to have fresh faces win their titles every so often. Yes, the traditional powers will carry more weight, but how will the newer franchises get to build that tradition without getting some championships themselves? Long run it may turn out better for hockey.
Carolina has been in the finals twice, won the cup once.. they are still struggling to fill their arena on most nights. As I said, Columbus and Ohio will be going nuts... Raleigh and the rest of the Carolinas will spend their days wondering why the Panthers drafted a QB and wondering if Roy can keep up in the arms race with Coach K. Ten years ago, you could have added "will Junior finally become a decent race car driver or continue to ride the coat tails of his deceased father?" but NASCAR is essentially dead, even here in Charlotte.
Is it sad that after living in Charlotte for 6 years I can't recall seeing or hearing anything about the Hurricanes but can remember the ads on ESPN 730 about the Charlotte Plott Hounds lacrosse team?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Nashville has been filling up their barn since they got to the city. They put on a great show in the arena above and beyond the hockey. They didn't really need a trip to the Cup finals to build their fan base as they've always had a very good one.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

My family and I went to a game in Nashville in fall of '14. Like the arena and their fans are rabid. First time I had been to Nashville. Liked the city and the atmosphere of the downtown area. Great place to visit and especially in the fall. As we passed through Birmingham on our way there, the leaves were changing and it was beautiful and even more so the closer we got to Nashville. Great time to visit that part of the USofA! :-D

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan