2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: 2019 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:My family and I went to a game in Nashville in fall of '14. Like the arena and their fans are rabid. First time I had been to Nashville. Liked the city and the atmosphere of the downtown area. Great place to visit and especially in the fall. As we passed through Birmingham on our way there, the leaves were changing and it was beautiful and even more so the closer we got to Nashville. Great time to visit that part of the USofA! :-D

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
I've been to Nashvegas twice.. both times for a Preds game... love that area of town and the vibe on the street before and after the game.

Boston put themselves in the driver's seat last night... 8 goals past Bobrovsky in the past two games... they should have had 20.. but they finally got the first line cranking.. hopefully it ends tomorrow night.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Well the Bruins finished off a feisty Blue Jackets team. They are now my pick to win the whole thing. Both series in the West have gone the distance so we will see who emerges from that side. Bruins-Blues would be a rematch of the 1970 series, so that might be fun.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Well the Bruins finished off a feisty Blue Jackets team. They are now my pick to win the whole thing. Both series in the West have gone the distance so we will see who emerges from that side. Bruins-Blues would be a rematch of the 1970 series, so that might be fun.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Well the Bruins finished off a feisty Blue Jackets team. They are now my pick to win the whole thing. Both series in the West have gone the distance so we will see who emerges from that side. Bruins-Blues would be a rematch of the 1970 series, so that might be fun.
I just love the fact that none of those guys has a helmet on.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Didn't see the Bruins shutting them down. If Tuukka keeps getting lucky with the pipes like last night, will be tough to beat. Bruins top line has really come alive the last couple games too.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

IMO, I think the Bruins are the best team remaining in the playoffs. But I also think that the Canes are playing REALLY well right now. So I'm guessing that the Canes will win that matchup. Not so confident about what team comes out of the West.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
That's because Teddy Green wasn't on the ice when the goal was scored (he missed the season). Ironically, he was out because a guy on that St Louis team crushed his skull with a stick earlier in the season. Teddy played with a helmet starting the next year.

My mom and dad were at that game. I wanted to go (having no idea it was game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, just that it was a Sunday afternoon Bruins game), I was told "no". They arrived home very inebriated after the celebration. My dad's pants were on the ice (he lost a bet with my grandfather that year and had to throw them on the ice if the Bruins won the Cup) while Johnny Bucyk skated around with the Cup.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
That's because Teddy Green wasn't on the ice when the goal was scored (he missed the season). Ironically, he was out because a guy on that St Louis team crushed his skull with a stick earlier in the season. Teddy played with a helmet starting the next year.

My mom and dad were at that game. I wanted to go (having no idea it was game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, just that it was a Sunday afternoon Bruins game), I was told "no". They arrived home very inebriated after the celebration. My dad's pants were on the ice (he lost a bet with my grandfather that year and had to throw them on the ice if the Bruins won the Cup) while Johnny Bucyk skated around with the Cup.
I, like 3/4 of New Englanders aged 30-40ish (rough estimate), have a personalized autographed print of this picture. Bobby did a lot of personal appearances for BayBank back in the day. I even got to skate with him! #coolstorybro
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:IMO, I think the Bruins are the best team remaining in the playoffs. But I also think that the Canes are playing REALLY well right now. So I'm guessing that the Canes will win that matchup. Not so confident about what team comes out of the West.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
So now we know the Canes are out. Stay away from the Bruins with your juju!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I was passively watching the Avs/Sharks last night. Saw a great game tying goal by the Avs about midway through the second period. Flipped to whatever else it was I was watching. Later I checked on the ESPN app to see the score and it was 3-1... I wondered how the Avs lost their goal. Didn't stay long enough to see the challenge. That overturned goal was a back breaker, as the Sharks went up 3-1 shortly thereafter and just held on the rest of the way.

So, turns out zero wild card teams in the west and just 1 in the east... far cry from the "four potential wild cards in the conference finals" that were possible just three days ago.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:I was passively watching the Avs/Sharks last night. Saw a great game tying goal by the Avs about midway through the second period. Flipped to whatever else it was I was watching. Later I checked on the ESPN app to see the score and it was 3-1... I wondered how the Avs lost their goal. Didn't stay long enough to see the challenge. That overturned goal was a back breaker, as the Sharks went up 3-1 shortly thereafter and just held on the rest of the way.

So, turns out zero wild card teams in the west and just 1 in the east... far cry from the "four potential wild cards in the conference finals" that were possible just three days ago.
https://deadspin.com/the-avalanche-were ... 1834635783
So the Sharks are now 2-2 in poorly applied rules benefiting them. Can't be good karma for next round
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Where is Hot Rod Hundley and "No Harm. No Foul." ??

I'm impressed someone on the Sharks caught it and alerted the team coach to appeal the play.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote:Where is Hot Rod Hundley and "No Harm. No Foul." ??

I'm impressed someone on the Sharks caught it and alerted the team coach to appeal the play.
every team has a "video coach" whose sole job is to look for opportunities to challenge

he was clearly offsides... there is no dispute and Landeskog has taken the full blame. He actually risked a "too many men on the ice" call by being so slow to get off the ice.. fortunately, Colorado didn't take full possession of the puck and the penalty did not apply. Not sure why Deadspin is making an issue of this. BOTH skates are on the ice, in the zone when the puck crosses back in.. he didn't start to climb the boards until the puck was well past the blue line. A couple of seasons ago, my team got a "too many men" call because the guy coming off the ice decided to stand in front of the bench and chit chat instead of getting off right away. Gotta get off the ice if your man has hopped over the boards, whether you're offside or not.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:IMO, I think the Bruins are the best team remaining in the playoffs. But I also think that the Canes are playing REALLY well right now. So I'm guessing that the Canes will win that matchup. Not so confident about what team comes out of the West.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
So now we know the Canes are out. Stay away from the Bruins with your juju!
Okay, let me see. The only mention of the "j" word comes from "gerryb323". So, therefore it is you that brought it into the conversation. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
THE iconic photo of a Stanley Cup winning goal!

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Saw this on FB a little while ago: Carolina Hurricanes...Downgraded to a tropical depression. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Saw this on FB a little while ago: Carolina Hurricanes...Downgraded to a tropical depression. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Justin Williams after game 2 "we ate a poop sandwich"... low hanging fruit smarta99 response to that: "I didn't realize Subway was a sponsor of the Hurricanes"
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

After two games, it definitely feels like the long layoff has killed any momentum the Hurricanes had. I know the Bruins would've liked the extra rest, but going longer in the second round has definitely led to them looking sharper and it's not been close so far.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:After two games, it definitely feels like the long layoff has killed any momentum the Hurricanes had. I know the Bruins would've liked the extra rest, but going longer in the second round has definitely led to them looking sharper and it's not been close so far.
the difference has been Tuuka Rask. Boston was outskated in game 1, but Rask kept shutting the door until Carolina took some questionable 3rd period penalties that Boston capitalized on. In game 2, Carolina was thumping the crap out of Boston while also outskating and outshooting them, but a soft goal deflated the team a bit and Debrusk scored that PP goal late to send Carolina to the room wonder just how the fk they can score when they dominated the first 17 minutes of the period. Their crowd will energize them tonight, but Boston won 2 in Toronto and 2 in Columbus with both teams having raucous home crowds.. so they won't be fazed in the least. Bruins have scored on 4 consecutive power plays. Carolina has whiffed on every one except the very first.. and has struggled all post season. Special teams may be their doom.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

this may be the first season where a referee wins the Conn Smythe

it seems the NHL can't go three or four playoff games without a total game changing blown call
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Since the Blues/Sharks series has at least 2 more games in their series while the Bruins have some time off, who has the advantage when the SCF begin? The Bruins can rest up, or get stale, while injuries could pile up for the winner of the West, but then that winner has momentum on their side. :roll:

Probably too early to decide really.

BTW, whatever happens in the west, the SCF game one will be in Boston on May 27th, so Boston would have home ice to begin the series.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Since the Blues/Sharks series has at least 2 more games in their series while the Bruins have some time off, who has the advantage when the SCF begin? The Bruins can rest up, or get stale, while injuries could pile up for the winner of the West, but then that winner has momentum on their side. :roll:

Probably too early to decide really.

BTW, whatever happens in the west, the SCF game one will be in Boston on May 27th, so Boston would have home ice to begin the series.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
Chara can get healthy, so that will help Boston. They'll go as Tuukka goes.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

the scary omen is no team that swept a round has won their subsequent round... Boston dispatched Columbus and Carolina after they had sweeps.... as Gerry says, Rask is the key. I honestly have never seen him as dialed in as he is now.. even in 2013 when they got to the Cup Finals against the Blackhawks.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Blues move on to the Stanley Cup Finals via a 5-1 win over an injury depleted Sharks roster, and will face the Bruins on Monday May 27th at the TD Garden in Boston. Both teams should be healthy by that time. It is 49 years between SCF appearances for the Blues. Long time not playing on ice with "Stanley Cup Finals" written on the ice. :roll:

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:It is 49 years between SCF appearances for the Blues.
You mean when this happened?