Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
It is 49 years between SCF appearances for the Blues.

You mean when this happened?
Image



would be truly amazing if Bergeron or Marchand gets to duplicate that pose with a clinching goal

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:31 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3229
Location: Greeneville, TN
Apologies, JM but I'm squarely in the Blues camp for this one. 0 titles after over 50 years in the league vs the ridiculous number of titles across all Boston teams in the last two decades - give me the Blues all the way.

That said, if the layoff didn't turn Rusk into rust then the Bruins will be tough to beat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:51 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Apologies, JM but I'm squarely in the Blues camp for this one. 0 titles after over 50 years in the league vs the ridiculous number of titles across all Boston teams in the last two decades - give me the Blues all the way.

That said, if the layoff didn't turn Rusk into rust then the Bruins will be tough to beat.


Bruins have a chance for the city to hold the last three major pro sports championships (winning them in succession), provided they hoist the Cup before the Warriors win the NBA title. I think that's pretty cool. I doubt it's ever happened before.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:03 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 3229
Location: Greeneville, TN
Johnny Mac wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Apologies, JM but I'm squarely in the Blues camp for this one. 0 titles after over 50 years in the league vs the ridiculous number of titles across all Boston teams in the last two decades - give me the Blues all the way.

That said, if the layoff didn't turn Rusk into rust then the Bruins will be tough to beat.


Bruins have a chance for the city to hold the last three major pro sports championships (winning them in succession), provided they hoist the Cup before the Warriors win the NBA title. I think that's pretty cool. I doubt it's ever happened before.


Even if they don't win before the Warriors/Raptors/Bucks, they will still hold 3/4 Big 4 titles with a Bruins victory. And you're correct, that's never happened. I was bored and decided to answer the question, so I compiled the champions into a google doc (below). I used the World Series as the starting point, so the year listed on the left is really the year before the other three sports. So for the most recent row, it lists the 2018 Red Sox as champs followed by the 2019 Patriots. I only included Super Bowl years for the NFL, 1927 and onward for the Stanley Cup, and no ABA champs for basketball.

2/4 titles has happened a number of times for several cities. As far as I can tell Boston came the closest to holding 3 titles at once with the Red Sox winning in 2007 and the Celtics in 2008 sandwiched around an unbeaten Patriots team narrowly losing in the Super Bowl. It's possible other cities have had teams in the title game/series with the opportunity for 3/4 but that seems like a particularly near miss. Anyway, a Bruins victory would put Boston in unprecedented territory.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1isZezh6NpaUTQSTX6jvKfTyuXekteVyeh56n97kg0n8/edit?usp=sharing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:11 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
the yeoman work of a CPA.. done by an attorney

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:33 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
I guess when your team gives up 4 powerplay goals, your first job as head coach is to whine about how many penalties his team has been called for. Berube whined that St. Louis was the least penalized team during the regular season.... but I have to say EVERY call the other night was legit... nothing on those four penalties was marginal.. especially the delay of game on him for challenging the Bruins' 3rd goal when it was pretty clear on the replay his own player brought the puck into the zone, negating offsides.

St. Louis has been pretty dirty all series. They have run Tuuka Rask on multiple occasions and tried to goad him into a fight the other night. The guy who knocked Gryzelcyk out of the series should have been suspended for the same amount of games Matt misses in the series.. not just 1 game. There have been countless other hits from behind that have gone without calls. Boston is a physical team as well and probably has gotten away with a few on their end.. but St. Louis has no business whining about the calls against them.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8662
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Watched the game last night. And wow what a game it was. Both teams were giving it 110% (or better) for the whole game. I am pulling for the Blues (almost as much as pulling against the Bruins) and so I enjoyed it thoroughly. But my thoughts after the game were this...If you happened to be in St Louis last night and had never been to a hockey game in your life, but someone had an extra ticket and offered it to you to go with them, so you decided to go. That game was so entertaining that after it was over, you would have been so enthralled that you had become a hockey fan for life. The only thing required from you after that would be to learn more about the game, and attend more games as time wore on.

Granted all hockey games are not as great as that game was. After all, they don't say "There's nothing like playoff hockey" for nothing.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Watched the game last night. And wow what a game it was. Both teams were giving it 110% (or better) for the whole game. I am pulling for the Blues (almost as much as pulling against the Bruins) and so I enjoyed it thoroughly. But my thoughts after the game were this...If you happened to be in St Louis last night and had never been to a hockey game in your life, but someone had an extra ticket and offered it to you to go with them, so you decided to go. That game was so entertaining that after it was over, you would have been so enthralled that you had become a hockey fan for life. The only thing required from you after that would be to learn more about the game, and attend more games as time wore on.

Granted all hockey games are not as great as that game was. After all, they don't say "There's nothing like playoff hockey" for nothing.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan


soo... imagine if Boston hadn't played their worst game of the series? They were so thoroughly outplayed all night.. maybe 5 or 6 minutes they carried the play. Once they went down to 5 defensemen, they were once again done in by fatigue. Binnington has been below pedestrian the whole series, but in games 2 and 4, Boston didn't test him. They over passed in game 2, trying to set up highlight goals.. last night, they just didn't possess the puck in dangerous areas to take quality shots.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:12 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8662
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Johnny Mac wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Watched the game last night. And wow what a game it was. Both teams were giving it 110% (or better) for the whole game. I am pulling for the Blues (almost as much as pulling against the Bruins) and so I enjoyed it thoroughly. But my thoughts after the game were this...If you happened to be in St Louis last night and had never been to a hockey game in your life, but someone had an extra ticket and offered it to you to go with them, so you decided to go. That game was so entertaining that after it was over, you would have been so enthralled that you had become a hockey fan for life. The only thing required from you after that would be to learn more about the game, and attend more games as time wore on.

Granted all hockey games are not as great as that game was. After all, they don't say "There's nothing like playoff hockey" for nothing.

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan


soo... imagine if Boston hadn't played their worst game of the series? They were so thoroughly outplayed all night.. maybe 5 or 6 minutes they carried the play. Once they went down to 5 defensemen, they were once again done in by fatigue. Binnington has been below pedestrian the whole series, but in games 2 and 4, Boston didn't test him. They over passed in game 2, trying to set up highlight goals.. last night, they just didn't possess the puck in dangerous areas to take quality shots.


All true dat. But that didn't mean that the game wasn't exciting. Both teams were "playing fast" and hitting hard, and in that type of game injuries can occur and there is a distinct possibility someone might leave the game not to return. And if Chara is out for the rest of the finals, it will be a tough chore replacing their Captain and leader.

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
Fan Since '54 wrote:
And if Chara is out for the rest of the finals, it will be a tough chore replacing their Captain and leader.

Fan since '54


I think the fact they admitted he has a broken jaw and not the vague "upper body injury" indicates he might be done.
NHL teams are intentionally vague about injuries to avoid the opposition targeting an injured player's soft spot... but again, St Louis won't have to think hard to figure out where Z is injured. I hope he plays because without Gryzcelcyk, they will have to play Steve Kampfer or one of two rookies.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:52 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8662
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Johnny Mac wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
And if Chara is out for the rest of the finals, it will be a tough chore replacing their Captain and leader.

Fan since '54


I think the fact they admitted he has a broken jaw and not the vague "upper body injury" indicates he might be done.
NHL teams are intentionally vague about injuries to avoid the opposition targeting an injured player's soft spot... but again, St Louis won't have to think hard to figure out where Z is injured. I hope he plays because without Gryzcelcyk, they will have to play Steve Kampfer or one of two rookies.


Definitely agree here. To let the cat out of the bag like that normally indicates it's long term, but in this case, done till '19-'20.

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:02 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
And if Chara is out for the rest of the finals, it will be a tough chore replacing their Captain and leader.

Fan since '54


I think the fact they admitted he has a broken jaw and not the vague "upper body injury" indicates he might be done.
NHL teams are intentionally vague about injuries to avoid the opposition targeting an injured player's soft spot... but again, St Louis won't have to think hard to figure out where Z is injured. I hope he plays because without Gryzcelcyk, they will have to play Steve Kampfer or one of two rookies.


Definitely agree here. To let the cat out of the bag like that normally indicates it's long term, but in this case, done till '19-'20.

Fan since '54


Bruins just posted a video of him taking the ice for the pregame skate.. along with Gryz... both are game time decisions. I have a game tonight, as well. I too, am a game time decision. I may go to the rink and see how many we have.. if we have 11, I am watching game 5 upstairs. We skated with 8 last week and beat the lone undefeated team in the league.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:47 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5846
Location: Wichita
This is some BS

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking - ESPECIALLY PUNTING!!!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:11 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8662
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
The St. Louis Blues are probably now the ultimate example of what you can do if you don't quit. Halfway through the season (on 01/02/19) they were in LAST place in the NHL. Yet they persevered and ended up winning the Stanley Cup. Kudos to the Blues for a job well done from the bottom to the top of that organization. :-)

And as they say in golf: "It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive".

Fan since '54
aka
Big Easy Pens Fan

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:20 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5846
Location: Wichita
Binnington won it himself last night. After game 5 it was all kah-kah anyway. Can't say I respect the cheap shot organization. But then that's probably just sore losing

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking - ESPECIALLY PUNTING!!!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:08 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
St. Louis played pretty dirty all series.. but that's their game and Boston failed to push back. Although the team got to the finals, I'm sure the lack of Adam Mcquaid (traded) and Kevan Miller (injured) crept into the back of Don Sweeney's mind as the team got continually bullied.

Bottom line is Boston's first line failed to show up for the playoffs on a consistent basis. The bulk of their goal scoring was on the man advantage. Last season, they were a deadly force regardless of the situation. I honestly think we read about Pastrnak having wrist surgery to fix the issue that's been bothering him since March. He was a shell of himself in the playoffs. I've never seen a kid with his skill fan on so many passes and shots.

Boston also missed Chris Wagner on the 4th line. In the first 3 series, nobody had an answer for them. Once Acciari took his spot, they kept getting hemmed into the defensive zone and failed to produce the scoring chances they had with Wagner on the line.

Boston has a great future. Lots of youth on that team and veterans locked up. The only impending unrestricted free agent they may lose will be Johansson.. whom I'd try to re-sign because of the way he played in the playoffs, but only at a decent price. Perhaps they can shed Backes' contract to pay him. Krug is due a pay raise and they may extend McAvoy. But other than that, they are solid for next year and beyond.

Keep an eye out for Jakub Lauko next season. He may be playing with Bergeron and Marchand while Pasta slides down to play with Krejci and Debrusk.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:41 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 5846
Location: Wichita
Pastrnak had a hole in his stick last night. Chara's gotta be retiring, no?

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking - ESPECIALLY PUNTING!!!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:14 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7548
Location: Charlotte
gerryb323 wrote:
Pastrnak had a hole in his stick last night. Chara's gotta be retiring, no?


extended 1 more year

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group