Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 3151
Location: Baton Rouge
doncecco wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
doncecco wrote:
The Lakers might win 1-2 championships while LeBron has anything left, but they still literally need to fill in bodies around them and then all but assured post-LeBron will be a disaster.

The past is littered, in all sports, with teams who sold out for a title or two, knowing full well they'd be trash afterwards. Heck, remember the Florida Marlins of the 90s and early 00s? World title, suck for a bunch of years, world title, suck for a bunch of years... And for as horrid as they were most years, came out of it all with more rings than the dominant Bobby Cox-era Braves.

I'm sure they feel it's worth it.


It's the age old debate (other than for the Patriots). Do you want your team to be consistently good and relevant or do you want the title at all costs. That has been exactly the topic with the Saints lately, and I for one, will shamelessly admit that another ring is worth mortgaging the future.

That being said, it has been fun for the Saints to be mostly good the past 13 years, so I may have a different opinion in a couple years after Drew retires and the bill comes due.


In football, if managed decently, the fallout may only last 2-3 year after the time has past with the way free agency and roster turnover happens. Year 3-4 after the bottom falls out you could very close, if not jun in, the playoffs again. The trick seems to know when to go all in.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2686
Poseidon wrote:
The trick seems to know when to go all in.


and to some degree get lucky with a QB on a rookie contract.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6749
Brees is arguably the best FA signing in any sport ever. We Saints fans are spoiled. Let's hope lightning strikes again when Brees quits.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3505
Location: North Haven, CT
Baywave1 wrote:
Brees is arguably the best FA signing in any sport ever. We Saints fans are spoiled. Let's hope lightning strikes again when Brees quits.


I would settle for a static charge on the door handle, doesn't have to be as other wordly as Brees has been. I think Bridgewater can be a good enough QB to win consistently and with the right talent around him, a title. I do feel that SP and the system was a difference for Brees, albeit his work ethic, drive, and desire to work at it until perfect probably more so the reason for his success.

The trick will be what is the timing on #9 exit stage right for #5 to take over. If not after this season, then probably doesn't happen.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6749
This is the best summary I've seen describing what Griffin has done for Pelicans in trading Davis. If the draft picks pan up, it truly may be the greatest "superstar" trade ever for the departing team. It looks better than the Herschel Walker trade.

"This brings the Pelicans haul in the Anthony Davis trade up to Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, No.8, No. 17, No. 35, three future first round picks, a pick swap, and cap space from getting off of Solomon Hill’s contract. I don’t think any executive has ever done better when trading a superstar than David Griffin has this offseason. That is not an exaggeration. Genuinely, the Pelicans are set to be a major player in the future because of all of the assets they’ve acquired in the last week."

Sam Vecenie in the The Athletic. Behind a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1038397/2019/06 ... ft-expert/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:03 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7963
Location: Charlotte
Baywave1 wrote:
This is the best summary I've seen describing what Griffin has done for Pelicans in trading Davis. If the draft picks pan up, it truly may be the greatest "superstar" trade ever for the departing team. It looks better than the Herschel Walker trade.

"This brings the Pelicans haul in the Anthony Davis trade up to Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, No.8, No. 17, No. 35, three future first round picks, a pick swap, and cap space from getting off of Solomon Hill’s contract. I don’t think any executive has ever done better when trading a superstar than David Griffin has this offseason. That is not an exaggeration. Genuinely, the Pelicans are set to be a major player in the future because of all of the assets they’ve acquired in the last week."

Sam Vecenie in the The Athletic. Behind a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1038397/2019/06 ... ft-expert/


based on the fact the Lakers screwed themselves salary cap-wise by not working out finer details in the trade that would have saved them 9 mil, I think it was more of them fudging up than Griffin hitting a home run. The Lakers' GM is a fking moron

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:49 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10651
Johnny Mac wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
This is the best summary I've seen describing what Griffin has done for Pelicans in trading Davis. If the draft picks pan up, it truly may be the greatest "superstar" trade ever for the departing team. It looks better than the Herschel Walker trade.

"This brings the Pelicans haul in the Anthony Davis trade up to Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, No.8, No. 17, No. 35, three future first round picks, a pick swap, and cap space from getting off of Solomon Hill’s contract. I don’t think any executive has ever done better when trading a superstar than David Griffin has this offseason. That is not an exaggeration. Genuinely, the Pelicans are set to be a major player in the future because of all of the assets they’ve acquired in the last week."

Sam Vecenie in the The Athletic. Behind a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1038397/2019/06 ... ft-expert/


based on the fact the Lakers screwed themselves salary cap-wise by not working out finer details in the trade that would have saved them 9 mil, I think it was more of them fudging up than Griffin hitting a home run. The Lakers' GM is a fking moron

It's a zero sum game, better for the Pels to have the trade done 7/6, better for the Lakers to wait...Pels "won" that concession, it's not like Pelinka had no idea about the salary cap he just had no leverage in the negotiation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:53 am 
Online
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6206
Location: Wichita
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
This is the best summary I've seen describing what Griffin has done for Pelicans in trading Davis. If the draft picks pan up, it truly may be the greatest "superstar" trade ever for the departing team. It looks better than the Herschel Walker trade.

"This brings the Pelicans haul in the Anthony Davis trade up to Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, No.8, No. 17, No. 35, three future first round picks, a pick swap, and cap space from getting off of Solomon Hill’s contract. I don’t think any executive has ever done better when trading a superstar than David Griffin has this offseason. That is not an exaggeration. Genuinely, the Pelicans are set to be a major player in the future because of all of the assets they’ve acquired in the last week."

Sam Vecenie in the The Athletic. Behind a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1038397/2019/06 ... ft-expert/


based on the fact the Lakers screwed themselves salary cap-wise by not working out finer details in the trade that would have saved them 9 mil, I think it was more of them fudging up than Griffin hitting a home run. The Lakers' GM is a fking moron

It's a zero sum game, better for the Pels to have the trade done 7/6, better for the Lakers to wait...Pels "won" that concession, it's not like Pelinka had no idea about the salary cap he just had no leverage in the negotiation.

Actually the reports are that he didn't have an idea about that and they are now scrambling to try to get more space

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!
#freewindy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:08 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10651
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
This is the best summary I've seen describing what Griffin has done for Pelicans in trading Davis. If the draft picks pan up, it truly may be the greatest "superstar" trade ever for the departing team. It looks better than the Herschel Walker trade.

"This brings the Pelicans haul in the Anthony Davis trade up to Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, No.8, No. 17, No. 35, three future first round picks, a pick swap, and cap space from getting off of Solomon Hill’s contract. I don’t think any executive has ever done better when trading a superstar than David Griffin has this offseason. That is not an exaggeration. Genuinely, the Pelicans are set to be a major player in the future because of all of the assets they’ve acquired in the last week."

Sam Vecenie in the The Athletic. Behind a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1038397/2019/06 ... ft-expert/


based on the fact the Lakers screwed themselves salary cap-wise by not working out finer details in the trade that would have saved them 9 mil, I think it was more of them fudging up than Griffin hitting a home run. The Lakers' GM is a fking moron

It's a zero sum game, better for the Pels to have the trade done 7/6, better for the Lakers to wait...Pels "won" that concession, it's not like Pelinka had no idea about the salary cap he just had no leverage in the negotiation.

Actually the reports are that he didn't have an idea about that and they are now scrambling to try to get more space

I don't think those reports are true, and, even if they are, the cap space (and other ancillary benefits) from doing the trade immediately was important to the Pels so credit to Griffin for getting that locked down regardless of whether the Lakers were aware of them or no.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7963
Location: Charlotte
gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
This is the best summary I've seen describing what Griffin has done for Pelicans in trading Davis. If the draft picks pan up, it truly may be the greatest "superstar" trade ever for the departing team. It looks better than the Herschel Walker trade.

"This brings the Pelicans haul in the Anthony Davis trade up to Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, No.8, No. 17, No. 35, three future first round picks, a pick swap, and cap space from getting off of Solomon Hill’s contract. I don’t think any executive has ever done better when trading a superstar than David Griffin has this offseason. That is not an exaggeration. Genuinely, the Pelicans are set to be a major player in the future because of all of the assets they’ve acquired in the last week."

Sam Vecenie in the The Athletic. Behind a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/1038397/2019/06 ... ft-expert/


based on the fact the Lakers screwed themselves salary cap-wise by not working out finer details in the trade that would have saved them 9 mil, I think it was more of them fudging up than Griffin hitting a home run. The Lakers' GM is a fking moron

It's a zero sum game, better for the Pels to have the trade done 7/6, better for the Lakers to wait...Pels "won" that concession, it's not like Pelinka had no idea about the salary cap he just had no leverage in the negotiation.

Actually the reports are that he didn't have an idea about that and they are now scrambling to try to get more space


This..

I wasn't just making it up ml as it appears gerry read some of the same stories I saw.. but you aren't wrong about the Pels having a ton of leverage based on the desperation level of the Lakers and you aren't wrong that the Pels look like massive winners and admittedly. Griffin does deserve a lot of credit.. but he was helped a tiny bit by some west coast incompetence

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:21 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 3505
Location: North Haven, CT
Johnny Mac wrote:
This..

I wasn't just making it up ml as it appears gerry read some of the same stories I saw.. but you aren't wrong about the Pels having a ton of leverage based on the desperation level of the Lakers and you aren't wrong that the Pels look like massive winners and admittedly. Griffin does deserve a lot of credit.. but he was helped a tiny bit by some west coast incompetence


I don't see how the Pels had a ton of leverage. Boston was all but out of the deal, partly because they couldn't do anything until after July 6 (can't remember the technical detail, but had to do with Bird rights) and because Irving all but made it clear he's gone. The Knicks had reportedly bowed out, not wanting to give up #3.

LA knew Griffin had to do something before the draft, had no real other suitors at that point, and could have waited until draft day if they wanted to squeeze Griffin. Griffin must have put up one helluva smoke screen.

_________________
Bring home da Wave!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:46 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7963
Location: Charlotte
Celts don't need AD.. they just signed Tacko Fall to an "Exhibit 10" contract. I was surprised he wasn't drafted late in the 2nd round last night.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:21 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7963
Location: Charlotte
well, it appears the Lakers' GM is off the hook for "dumba88 of the year" with his fail with the AD trade... the Toronto Maple Leafs GM sent a veteran player, a 1st round draft pick and a 7 round draft pick for a 6th round pick JUST to shed 6 million for salary cap purposes... and even that won't be enough because he has a kid many think will generate a 10 million + dollar offer sheet plus 2 other restricted free agent studs he needs to re-sign.

Who the fk sends a 1st rounder to shed salary?

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:52 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7963
Location: Charlotte
the hot rumor is Al Horford to the Pels... not a bad guy to have mentoring Zion.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group