Iowa State beer sign kid

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Iowa State beer sign kid

Post by Johnny Mac »

quick rundown of story if you are unaware.. Iowa State student held up sign during Game Day a week ago that said "Busch Lite Supply Needs Replenished" with his Venmo account under it. Before Game Day was over, people had Venmo'ed him $600. It kept getting bigger and he went public early in the week saying he would donate all proceeds to the children's hospital that overlook's rival Iowa's stadium. AMBEV said they would match the donation... which has now grown to $900,000.

Additionally, AMBEV is making special busch lite cans with this kid's face on it.. and giving him a free one year supply.

Pretty cool story
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Re: Iowa State beer sign kid

Post by PeteRasche »

Well, that's excellent.

Now about crowd sourcing that British guy to come to our bowl game...

Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Americans are very generous people for all kinds of needs. I see it all the time. My small church just donated $6000 to two missionary families in the Bahamas who lost everything.
Thank you, America.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

so now the Des Moines Register decided to dig up tweets the kid made when he was 16 when he parroted a quasi racist comment from Tosh.0 on his twitter feed and Anheuser Busch will still make their donation, but will distance themselves from the Iowa State kid

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:so now the Des Moines Register decided to dig up tweets the kid made when he was 16 when he parroted a quasi racist comment from Tosh.0 on his twitter feed and Anheuser Busch will still make their donation, but will distance themselves from the Iowa State kid
I taught my now 33 YO daughter then, and I teach my 15 YO kids I mentor in high school now: nothing you write in social media ever goes away. Ever. Don’t be photographed with a drink in your hand, really think about anything you post—especially in anger—and think about if you’ll be happy with what you wrote publicly ten years from now.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

If you invested in glass houses a few years ago, you're probably making a killing.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:so now the Des Moines Register decided to dig up tweets the kid made when he was 16 when he parroted a quasi racist comment from Tosh.0 on his twitter feed and Anheuser Busch will still make their donation, but will distance themselves from the Iowa State kid
I taught my now 33 YO daughter then, and I teach my 15 YO kids I mentor in high school now: nothing you write in social media ever goes away. Ever. Don’t be photographed with a drink in your hand, really think about anything you post—especially in anger—and think about if you’ll be happy with what you wrote publicly ten years from now.
I have a now-30-ish nephew who got into the modeling biz out of high school. Once he moved off to NYC I kind of begrudgingly friended him on Facebook. His posts were typical stupid 19 year old stuff but he also liked to randomly just post song lyrics if he felt inclined. Unfortunately said lyrics were often rap lyrics and often included lots of vulgarity, and plenty of the N word. As he had always thought of me as "cool uncle Pete", I sent him a private message trying my best to not get preachy but saying what you said above, that companies looking to hire him are looking at social media and nothing ever went away. He gave no response and appeared to rein in his posting... until I realized I wasn't seeing posts because he'd simply unfriended me. Teenagers always know best, right? :wink: Unsurprisingly, after a very, very bright start, his career (and life in general) have not gone well.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Not to defend what the kid did, but he didn't ask to be famous and doesn't have any responsibility to be a spotless Saint. He got famous by making a poster asking for beer, for Pete's sake. The fact it inadvertently turned into raising a bunch of money for a charity and thus bringing him celebrity is not his fault. It's not like someone would think, "I'd love to go down to college football gameday and make a funny sign, but I once {did something to have a skeleton in the closet} so I better not in case I happen to get internet famous."

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Just coincidentally I had a couple of hours listening to NPR tonight driving home after a game on the Virginia Shore about a real life story abut brutal social media consequences. If you haven’t heard the story it was about a high school kid from rural PA who was a rising star and was admitted, early action, to Harvard in 2017. He and some like minded admittees started using increasingly more borderline memes in a chat group which apparently filtered back to Harvard. He admits that the memes were over the line but that in the heat of the moment of trying to impress and outdo one another they just didn’t think of the consequences. Harvard pulled their admissions and by then it was too late to apply to anywhere else. The following year every Ivy rejected him along with 9 other top tier schools. The article talked extensively about “losing the Golden Ticket”.

The kid eventually got into an unnamed school but regrets the opportunity lost. He took full responsibility but understood too late what social media misdeeds can do to your life.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

OGSB wrote:If you invested in glass houses a few years ago, you're probably making a killing.
Us old guys are just glad there was no Interweb when we were in our teens.

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

And now apparently the reporter who dug up the past tweets on the guy was outed for having racist and homophobic tweets in his past
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

The torpedoes they fired off are circling back on them

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:And now apparently the reporter who dug up the past tweets on the guy was outed for having racist and homophobic tweets in his past
back to the post above about glass houses!!!

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

OGSB wrote:The torpedoes they fired off are circling back on them
Well done. :wink:

Although there are now safeguards against that happening..it did happen long ago.

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

How is it relevant what he posted at 16 to the current story now? If he did it last week. Or if the current story was about how race-friendly he was. Then it'd be relevant. As it stands, it isn't.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

If everyone adhered to the principle of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone," there would never be any stones cast.

But "sinners" exist, so we really need to just shrug off the stuff that doesn't hurt us and get on with our lives.

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:If everyone adhered to the principle of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone," there would never be any stones cast.

But "sinners" exist, so we really need to just shrug off the stuff that doesn't hurt us and get on with our lives.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

And now the reporter is out of a job.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »