Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:50 am 
Emerald Circle

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/nick-saban-responds-to-critics-of-alabamas-schedule/ar-AAF0wL2?li=BBnba9I&ocid=spartandhp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:44 pm 
President's Circle

What he advocates would be devastating to a lot of non-P5 schools. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm 
Cornerstone

He's not serious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
He's not serious.
What makes you think that? "I wish P5 only played P5" is just his way of saying what I think most P5 coaches feel, which is that they just want the P5 conferences to secede from the NCAA and have their own semi-pro league where they can have ALL the money.

I can totally believe that he can't get P5 teams to schedule Bama. P5 teams aren't desperate for payout games (they already have TV money) so they aren't going to stoop to a 1-game away deal to travel to Tuscaloosa. Plus those other P5 teams who maybe aren't as good do need to pad their schedules with some easy wins so they aren't scheduling Alabama. Alabama's certainly not going to take negative contracts (more away than home) either. Unless a TV network steps in and sets up a game, they probably do struggle to find any willing opponents.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:57 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:
He's not serious.
What makes you think that? "I wish P5 only played P5" is just his way of saying what I think most P5 coaches feel, which is that they just want the P5 conferences to secede from the NCAA and have their own semi-pro league where they can have ALL the money.

I can totally believe that he can't get P5 teams to schedule Bama. P5 teams aren't desperate for payout games (they already have TV money) so they aren't going to stoop to a 1-game away deal to travel to Tuscaloosa. Plus those other P5 teams who maybe aren't as good do need to pad their schedules with some easy wins so they aren't scheduling Alabama. Alabama's certainly not going to take negative contracts (more away than home) either. Unless a TV network steps in and sets up a game, they probably do struggle to find any willing opponents.

That's the only way he is serious about it.

but even if P5 only played P5, I don't think they'd be willing to only play 6 home games. and other P5s aren't going to settle for 5 home games. so they're still going to have issues getting opponenets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:10 pm 
Cornerstone

They already have all the money. Taking what everyone outside the club gets wont make their boat payments. He's on top of the heap and he's complaining about a small criticism. If he can't figure out why he's miserable he certainly has no workable ideas to fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:21 pm 
Regent's Circle

They just signed a big time home & home deal with The Badgers. Love to see more of this !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:51 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
He's not serious.

Yes, I think he is very serious. Have you ever seen Saban say anything that is not serious to him? If so, please cue us in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:14 pm 
Cornerstone

Including "to him" is giving the game away. You admit what he says is not serious to an observer. He's just bitching like he always does when things don't go his way, like the off-season conversation about Alabama's relatively soft schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 am 
President's Circle

So you are saying he is serious. Your initial comment was he’s not serious.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 am 
Cornerstone

He is not serious, as he does not really believe in the solution he "proposes." He mentions the alternative as a way of shaming these other programs. Simply put, he's changing the subject when he doesn't like the question.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:36 am 
Regent's Circle

LG is absolutely right. He is fundamentally not serious. To channel my inner Pete, $$$ solves anything. Either give OOC P5's home-and-homes or pay visiting P5 teams say four or five million dollars for one offs and they would be lined up at the gate of Bryant Denny Stadium. Pay six or seven million and the Browns would show up for an "exhibition." That would definitely boost Bama's "RPI or whatever it's called."

However to paraphrase the new LSU AD from yesterday, that's not how SEC athletic departments are run.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:20 pm 
President's Circle

I certainly understand what you’ll are saying. But I do think the P5’s would love to separate if possible. I just hope it never comes to that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:41 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
I certainly understand what you’ll are saying. But I do think the P5’s would love to separate if possible. I just hope it never comes to that.

The Blue Bloods of the P5 want to separate, but the majority P5s don't. They know it's a zero sum game. If P5s only played P5's then you would end up with a lot more P5's with losing records and more Rutgers types.