Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23482
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by PeteRasche »

In a QB battle through August, other guy named starter yesterday, today he announces he's transferring out instead of being second string.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

It will be interesting to see where he lands as many schools desperately need a QB, but that kind of move doesn't show much in the way of competitive drive (one setback and he quits).

User avatar
Ray
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7316
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by Ray »

Totally agree !!

Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by Poseidon »

I tend to agree. Something needs to be said about all these coaches bringing new toys and showing no faith to those they recruited.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

User avatar
MattK
President's Circle
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:In a QB battle through August, other guy named starter yesterday, today he announces he's transferring out instead of being second string.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

It will be interesting to see where he lands as many schools desperately need a QB, but that kind of move doesn't show much in the way of competitive drive (one setback and he quits).
Umm...isn’t this how we acquired our starter?

gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6937
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Wichita

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by gerryb323 »

MattK wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:In a QB battle through August, other guy named starter yesterday, today he announces he's transferring out instead of being second string.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

It will be interesting to see where he lands as many schools desperately need a QB, but that kind of move doesn't show much in the way of competitive drive (one setback and he quits).
Umm...isn’t this how we acquired our starter?
Yes, and backup? Also, former 4 star recruit from Landry-Walker Keytaon Thompson has entered the portal. Lost out on Mississippi State starting job.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

angrywavedad
Breaker Level
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by angrywavedad »

And don’t forget almost all of our basketball team.

User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 20247
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by TUPF »

Gives new meaning to “take my ball and go home”.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8696
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by Johnny Mac »

angrywavedad wrote:And don’t forget almost all of our basketball team.
huh? How are grad transfers showing a "millennial stereotype" mindset?

Hightower could be lumped into that category, but you honestly can't compare football QB to basketball. Generally 10-12 guys play in hoops and starters are interchangeable with bench guys throughout the game. Hightower's minutes diminished and he didn't fit in his coach's scheme, in his opinion. Not really a "millennial stereotype" if you can read the writing on the wall and things weren't going to improve for you.

This UW kid lost his job to a better player and quit rather than be the backup and wait for an opportunity.. like if Eason struggles or gets hurt.
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

Wavemania
President's Circle
Posts: 2956
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:02 pm
Location: metairie, La

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by Wavemania »

Sort of like Tanner Lee at Tulane :lol:

gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6937
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Wichita

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by gerryb323 »

Wavemania wrote:Sort of like Tanner Lee at Tulane :lol:
Catch up
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by Poseidon »

Johnny Mac wrote:
angrywavedad wrote:And don’t forget almost all of our basketball team.
huh? How are grad transfers showing a "millennial stereotype" mindset?

Hightower could be lumped into that category, but you honestly can't compare football QB to basketball. Generally 10-12 guys play in hoops and starters are interchangeable with bench guys throughout the game. Hightower's minutes diminished and he didn't fit in his coach's scheme, in his opinion. Not really a "millennial stereotype" if you can read the writing on the wall and things weren't going to improve for you.

This UW kid lost his job to a better player and quit rather than be the backup and wait for an opportunity.. like if Eason struggles or gets hurt.
I have too little faith in the "competitions" that go on during camps.

I have seen first hand player A be put in a position to succeed and player B put in a position to look just ok then it happens and the company line be player A won the competition. I would go as far to say players don't usually win competitions, other players just lose them or they play out just as the coach has planned.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11088
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:In a QB battle through August, other guy named starter yesterday, today he announces he's transferring out instead of being second string.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

It will be interesting to see where he lands as many schools desperately need a QB, but that kind of move doesn't show much in the way of competitive drive (one setback and he quits).
Serious question, outside of this specific instance: do you think someone can show competitive drive by transferring and trying to play at another school? Or is the only way to show competitive drive by trying to unseat the person who you lost the job to originally?

User avatar
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8696
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Charlotte

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:Serious question, outside of this specific instance: do you think someone can show competitive drive by transferring and trying to play at another school? Or is the only way to show competitive drive by trying to unseat the person who you lost the job to originally?
generally, the transfer is to a school where the kid feels they are going to walk in and be the starter... that's why Jacob Eason went to UW from UGA in the first place.. why Mark Fields went from UGA to Ohio State.. why Kelly Bryant bailed out on Clemson and went to Missouri... why Jalen Hurts went to Oklahoma. All of those QBs looked that the QB situations at those programs and saw an easy path to the starting job. You could argue Tate Martell going to Miami.. but we saw how that ended!
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11088
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:Serious question, outside of this specific instance: do you think someone can show competitive drive by transferring and trying to play at another school? Or is the only way to show competitive drive by trying to unseat the person who you lost the job to originally?
generally, the transfer is to a school where the kid feels they are going to walk in and be the starter... that's why Jacob Eason went to UW from UGA in the first place.. why Mark Fields went from UGA to Ohio State.. why Kelly Bryant bailed out on Clemson and went to Missouri... why Jalen Hurts went to Oklahoma. All of those QBs looked that the QB situations at those programs and saw an easy path to the starting job. You could argue Tate Martell going to Miami.. but we saw how that ended!
I'm sure when they're being recruited that is one of the things being sold to them. And it makes sense...if you've only got one year left of eligibility, you'd probably want to play. Which is kind of my point...aren't you showing competitive drive by wanting to actually play in games?

User avatar
MattK
President's Circle
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by MattK »

Poseidon wrote: I have too little faith in the "competitions" that go on during camps.
which was exactly the case with LSU last year. Burrow wasn't brought in during the summer to compete for the starting job. He was brought in as the starter.

Poseidon
President's Circle
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Washington QB lives up to the millennial stereotype

Post by Poseidon »

MattK wrote:
Poseidon wrote: I have too little faith in the "competitions" that go on during camps.
which was exactly the case with LSU last year. Burrow wasn't brought in during the summer to compete for the starting job. He was brought in as the starter.

Many would think the player evaluation process in college is more objective than high school. The truth is the vast majority of the time the talent difference between two players in high school is rather obvious. In college you are dealing with lots of talented players. Coaches act on hunches or impressions more than they do in high school. The subjective views are held in check by what they see happen on the field. The problem then is there are certain positions were game-level evaluation is very different than what goes on in practice. The fact that coaches are limiting the number scrimmages just makes it even tougher. This is one reason the preseason is so important to the Pros. You just can't replicate what happens in a game in practice very well in this sport. Coaches know all this, that is one reason why they are able to take transfers so readily. They see QB "Y" and say to themselves "I know the other coach and he really likes player Z a whole lot, I am willing to give player Y the chance with me he didn't get there." People like to think they see something in someone that others missed. Coaches egos can play into this as well. The summary is, as you said, LSU was acting on a hunch about Burrow and with limited or no actual game type evaluation on Brennan, McMillan or Narcisse. Burrow's '18 fall camp was closer to a staged coronation than an open competition.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

Post Reply