Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:14 am 
Cornerstone

I think I might have picked Arizona last year but I know I singled out Arkansas as a possible surprise team so good job me.

This is a smidge early for this year but hey! Two weeks from tomorrow there is real college football on TV! Miami and Florida. It’s like having the Kickoff Classic back. That’s not the only game that day, either.

My favorite surprise pick for this year is Minnesota. That’s a vote of confidence in P.J. Fleck, who is starting his 3rd year there. They got better as last year went on (they did have some letdowns) and they were playing a lot of young guys late last year. This year they should have the traditional Gopher hot start but the league schedule gives them five home games with one of the four roadies being Rutgers, who Minny did not play last year. That’s a manageable division with Wisconsin receding from “national contender” status.

If I had to pick a runner-up I’d pick Washington. I think they may upgrade from their long-time QB with Jacob Eason and though they have to replace a lot of guys on defense Chris Peterson has his program going. They also get a slightly easier start to this year to get Eason and the new defenders going.

So bet heavily against both UMinn and UDub this year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:06 pm 
Coach Level

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... definitely

FYI, MN QB vying for starting spot out for possibly the season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:16 pm 
President's Circle

Baylor under Matt Rhule has quietly been building. They might surprise some folks.

Virginia is my pick to win that side of the ACC. Their QB Perkins is pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baylor is on the cusp, but may still be a year away. Rhule is a good fit for them though........

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:25 pm 
President's Circle

I have two picks for this year - Utah and Kentucky. Both should be very good defensively.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:21 am 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
I have two picks for this year - Utah and Kentucky. Both should be very good defensively.

Utah has been a media darling this offseason. I wouldn't really consider them a surprise as they are picked to win the Pac-12 South again this year, but I agree they could have a special season.

Kentucky was great last year, but they lost a ton including three of their best defenders to the draft. If they win big again it would be a big surprise to me and I would bet success comes from improved offense as much as their defense.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:23 pm 
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Baylor under Matt Rhule has quietly been building. They might surprise some folks.

Virginia is my pick to win that side of the ACC. Their QB Perkins is pretty good.

Baylor is a solid pick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:09 pm 
President's Circle

Tulane. Penn St. UVA.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:33 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
I think I might have picked Arizona last year but I know I singled out Arkansas as a possible surprise team so good job me.

This is a smidge early for this year but hey! Two weeks from tomorrow there is real college football on TV! Miami and Florida. It’s like having the Kickoff Classic back. That’s not the only game that day, either.

My favorite surprise pick for this year is Minnesota. That’s a vote of confidence in P.J. Fleck, who is starting his 3rd year there. They got better as last year went on (they did have some letdowns) and they were playing a lot of young guys late last year. This year they should have the traditional Gopher hot start but the league schedule gives them five home games with one of the four roadies being Rutgers, who Minny did not play last year. That’s a manageable division with Wisconsin receding from “national contender” status.

If I had to pick a runner-up I’d pick Washington. I think they may upgrade from their long-time QB with Jacob Eason and though they have to replace a lot of guys on defense Chris Peterson has his program going. They also get a slightly easier start to this year to get Eason and the new defenders going.

So bet heavily against both UMinn and UDub this year.

I think Wisconsin will at least surprise you !! :wink: :wink: Thinking ball control & men in trenches.