Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:33 pm 
President's Circle

OGSB wrote:
OGSB wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
A game to keep an eye on this weekend - WKU at Arkansas. Arkansas is only a 1.5 point favorite and SP+ actually has WKU as the favorite. Arkansas has looked worse than awful this year, so if they lose this game I think it could be the end for Chad Morris. Even the "it's just year 2" excuse won't work - see Willie Taggart.

If it happens, Malzahn would likely be a top target. After that, it wouldn't surprise me if our own WF was in the mix, among others.

WKU up 28-7 mid 2nd

35-7 halftime. He may not last the season.

Oh no. He isn't surviving to next week

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
OGSB wrote:
OGSB wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
A game to keep an eye on this weekend - WKU at Arkansas. Arkansas is only a 1.5 point favorite and SP+ actually has WKU as the favorite. Arkansas has looked worse than awful this year, so if they lose this game I think it could be the end for Chad Morris. Even the "it's just year 2" excuse won't work - see Willie Taggart.

If it happens, Malzahn would likely be a top target. After that, it wouldn't surprise me if our own WF was in the mix, among others.

WKU up 28-7 mid 2nd

35-7 halftime. He may not last the season.

Oh no. He isn't surviving to next week

He didn’t set the world on fire at SMU but how many people expected.....this?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

45-17 final

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:00 pm 
President's Circle

And he's fired per Yahoo sports

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 pm 
President's Circle

I hope they get Malzahn. Otherwise I believe they will look hard at Fritz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I think they will go after Norvell before Fritz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:46 pm 
President's Circle

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I think they will go after Norvell before Fritz

And they should. But norvell has baggage which is why he hasn't been scooped already. WF doesn't. It's far from a done deal or anything, just a concern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:03 pm 
Regent's Circle

I used to think it was impossible that WF would be hired because of age. However he is such a good coach that I now just consider it unlikely. But looking at what Miles and Mack Brown have done this year and realizing that it is at least another few years for those programs to enjoy success maybe Arkansas and whoever will be scared away from hiring a 60 year old Fritz. (Or at least I hope so!)

Just my guess Arkansas will go all in after Norvell.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:42 pm 
Cornerstone

Age is a factor but working against Fritz is age, absence of any P5 experience, his clear preference for the run game, and still being under .500 in year four.

No mention of Fritz from any fan on the UA board I skimmed. Early days but still. Wait for someone to turn this job down before you pay close attention.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:06 pm 
Regent's Circle

Matt Campbell, Iowa State. There's your "young energetic up and comer". Jerry Jones spends more on Johnny Walker Blue every year than his 7 million buyout. He will be courted, and should.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:23 pm 
Regent's Circle

long green wrote:
Age is a factor but working against Fritz is age, absence of any P5 experience, his clear preference for the run game, and still being under .500 in year four.

No mention of Fritz from any fan on the UA board I skimmed. Early days but still. Wait for someone to turn this job down before you pay close attention.

Agree. If you made me make a spitballing bet, Dannen leaves before Fritz. Fitts just signed an extension so presumably no issue there. (I bring it up for those who don't recall that Fritz was able to leave GSU more easily because the President leaving there opened up much more friendly buyout terms for Dannen to recruit him.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:10 pm 
Regent's Circle

One other sidelight of Morris firing: his son Chandler is a highly recruited QB out of Dallas who had understandably committed to Arkansas months ago. Safe to assume that decision is now open again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:24 pm 
Coach Level

Chad Morris will be Saban’s next OC. Sark may not make it to December.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 pm 
Regent's Circle

LawGreenie wrote:
Chad Morris will be Saban’s next OC. Sark may not make it to December.

Good point. I bet Saban hires Morris as an "analyst" almost before I finish typing this.

Like many here, I actually have some sympathy for Sark and hope he doesn't have to pay for his USC idiotic behavior forever. I suspect though his next HC job will be at a Sunbelt/CUSA school like Kiffin did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:55 pm 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
If you made me make a spitballing bet, Dannen leaves before Fritz. Fitts just signed an extension so presumably no issue there. (I bring it up for those who don't recall that Fritz was able to leave GSU more easily because the President leaving there opened up much more friendly buyout terms for Dannen to recruit him.)

I totally agree with this statement. I got that impression when there for HC. For some reason, I just do not think that WF will go to Arkansas. Arkansas is a dead-end job until Saban retires and LSU comes back to normal. Even then, there is so much money going into the competitive landscape of the SECW, that it is a dogfight every season. If you're at Arky, most of the time you are the little dog. There just aren't that many recruits in the state to keep competitive year-after-year. Now, some might say that Fritz loves the competition of proving himself, he can accomplish that at Tulane a lot more easily now that he has begun, rather than another 4 year rebuilding job from scratch. Our competition is a lot more manageable than the SECW. If he keeps winning, we will take care of him in terms of salary. His next bump will be to $2.5M.

I project that Auburn will go 8-4 and will run Malzahn out of town. He will take Arky before getting the axe. Or they will give it Norvell, which seems to me to be a no-brainer.

In terms of Tulane, it will be interesting to watch what happens at Ole Miss. Not that Fritz will get the job, but Hall may be the candidate for OC no matter the HC. If Tulane does not fight for him i.e. give him a raise, he will take it. Even more food-for-thought, Ole Miss' OC is RichRod. Would we hire him as OC if this scenario works out? Would he take it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm 
Cornerstone

I was watching a cfb video pod and the announcer, who is a very conventionally minded Southern guy, was talking about the Arkansas job and jobs like it. He made the point that the gap between the top jobs in big conferences and the also rans in their own leagues is bigger than it has ever been. Can you win in Arkansas right now? Five years ago you’d say yes. I still think they can but I don’t think they are capable of being a consistent winner in their league. I would define consistent winning as being above .500 in league play over 8 or more years. They can’t do that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

An online sports book posted odds on who will be the next coach at Arkansas. FWIW, Fritz is not on the list.

Norvell leads the pack.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkan ... -2019/amp/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm 
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:
An online sports book posted odds on who will be the next coach at Arkansas. FWIW, Fritz is not on the list.

Norvell leads the pack.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkan ... -2019/amp/

I saw that, too. Probably always the best place to go.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:08 am 
Coach Level

long green wrote:

Surprised you would mention Coach Fritz's losing four year record at Tulane. Here is a paragraph on Morris:

"It seems obvious it needs someone who can recruit well, especially in Texas. Morris had those connections, but he wasn’t that established as a college head coach. He’d improved a dismal SMU program, but in three seasons he was only 14-22 and 8-16 in the American Athletic Conference."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:08 pm 
Cornerstone

CT Wave wrote:
long green wrote:

Surprised you would mention Coach Fritz's losing four year record at Tulane. Here is a paragraph on Morris:

"It seems obvious it needs someone who can recruit well, especially in Texas. Morris had those connections, but he wasn’t that established as a college head coach. He’d improved a dismal SMU program, but in three seasons he was only 14-22 and 8-16 in the American Athletic Conference."

Why wouldn't I mention it? Fritz is an AAC coach with a sub .500 record at his last and best job. You think that's not going to sound risky to some people in Fayetteville right now?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

I haven’t noticed much wild ass guessing about Urban to FSU now that USC is apparently off the table. Any chance Meyer goes Noling?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pm 
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:
I haven’t noticed much wild ass guessing about Urban to FSU now that USC is apparently off the table. Any chance Meyer goes Noling?

Last week I read something about USC’s prez crawfishing on the No Urban thing but of course that’s extremely anecdotal. If they can’t go get the best guy they’d be better off keeping Helton for another year. He’s not winning enough but he’s not awful awful.

Last edited by long green on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

I think I read somewhere that Mike Leach seriously considered the FSU job a few years ago. He may be ready to bail from Wash. St.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:40 pm 
Regent's Circle

CT Wave wrote:
long green wrote:

"It seems obvious it needs someone who can recruit well, especially in Texas. Morris had those connections, but he wasn’t that established as a college head coach. He’d improved a dismal SMU program, but in three seasons he was only 14-22 and 8-16 13-23 and 7 - 17 in the American Athletic Conference."

FTFY (Banks was in!!!!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:08 am 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
I think I read somewhere that Mike Leach seriously considered the FSU job a few years ago. He may be ready to bail from Wash. St.

As I said in another thread, I think he'll consider the Arkansas job first. But it will come down to money as to which of these he will take. Coaching in the SEC, even at Arkansas, is a powerful lure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next