Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB postseason thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:22 am 
President's Circle

Playoffs kicked off last night with the Nationals coming from behind to beat the Brewers 4-3. Tonight is Rays at A's in the AL Wild Card.

If you want to know how deep the top of the AL is, the Rays won 96 games and were the last team in. All three AL division winners, Astros, Yankees, and Twins, won 101 or more games. By contrast the Dodgers are the only 100+ game winner from the NL. Dodgers and Astros are the favorites to reach the WS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:48 am 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Playoffs kicked off last night with the Nationals coming from behind to beat the Brewers 4-3. Tonight is Rays at A's in the AL Wild Card.

If you want to know how deep the top of the AL is, the Rays won 96 games and were the last team in. All three AL division winners, Astros, Yankees, and Twins, won 101 or more games. By contrast the Dodgers are the only 100+ game winner from the NL. Dodgers and Astros are the favorites to reach the WS.
The top-heavy nature is mostly due to the number of teams that are actively not trying to win...curious to see what MLB does to change those incentives, as they can't see this as a positive thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:24 am 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

The top-heavy nature is mostly due to the number of teams that are actively not trying to win...curious to see what MLB does to change those incentives, as they can't see this as a positive thing.

Absolutely. The teams at the top are good, but I'll admit there's a strong degree of tanking present in the final win-loss totals.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:43 pm 
President's Circle

I’m not so sure I agree that there’s a tanking problem. There just happen to be some teams that are poorly run and either unwilling or unable to spend.
The incentives for tanking in baseball are already not very good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:13 pm 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
I’m not so sure I agree that there’s a tanking problem. There just happen to be some teams that are poorly run and either unwilling or unable to spend.

The astros built their team through tanking.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:25 pm 
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

The astros built their team through tanking.

No they didn't

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:33 pm 
President's Circle

I guess there’s some truth to that, but it’s not why the Astros are so good today. They missed on Appel, screwed up with the Aiken pick and had it turn in to Bregman. Safe to say they had a bunch of good luck.
and the Orioles/Marlins seem to be tanking and as bad as the Tigers are they have to be tanking, but as poorly run as those organizations are I don’t see it working out. It worked for the Astros because they are far ahead of most teams in player development.
I wouldn’t be happy as a fan of those teams, but I’m not sure what can be done to stop it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:45 pm 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
I guess there’s some truth to that, but it’s not why the Astros are so good today. They missed on Appel, screwed up with the Aiken pick and had it turn in to Bregman. Safe to say they had a bunch of good luck.
and the Orioles/Marlins seem to be tanking and as bad as the Tigers are they have to be tanking, but as poorly run as those organizations are I don’t see it working out. It worked for the Astros because they are far ahead of most teams in player development.
I wouldn’t be happy as a fan of those teams, but I’m not sure what can be done to stop it.

Yup. Correa and Bregman are really all they got from all that tanking. Marginally Springer. Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Keuchel, Altuve, etc were not a result of all that losing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:16 pm 
President's Circle

Ok. Their intent was to tank to rebuild. They missed on a lot of players, as any baseball team will.

And they ‘only’ got 2 mvp contending players out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 pm 
Regent's Circle

MattK wrote:
Ok. Their intent was to tank to rebuild. They missed on a lot of players, as any baseball team will.

It's just how different baseball is from basketball (or football to a lesser extent). You can have Mike Trout or Harper and Strasburg, but 1 or 2 players can't make a team. That and the added development time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:57 am 
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
MattK wrote:

It's just how different baseball is from basketball (or football to a lesser extent). You can have Mike Trout or Harper and Strasburg, but 1 or 2 players can't make a team. That and the added development time.

The rookie contract scale changed football. Now, if you draft a great young QB and can have him cheap for 4-5 years, you can afford to build a team around him. If you miss, you're in the abyss for a long time.

But the Saints and Pats are the exceptions, because they have drafted well (and Belicheck can turn doody into shinola).

I the near future, the Rams, Falcons, and Panthers are about to go into the abyss. Exorbitant contracts for QBs that aren't good enough to win a championship.

It will be very interesting to see how the Dolphins' process plays out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:39 am 
President's Circle

Rays take out the A's. Kind of wish the A's would mess around and win a title one of these days.

Division series set. Cardinals-Braves in the early game today, Nats-Dodgers late.

ALDS will be Rays-Astros and Twins-Yankees starting tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:33 am 
Emerald Circle

MattK wrote:

Cubs tanked, Padres tanked...the incentives in baseball are wildly towards tanking as it's not just about the top of the draft, you also get more signing bonus money for both the draft and international.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:17 am 
President's Circle

Cardinals and Nationals win to take those series to 5 games. Rays also extend their series with the Astros

Yankees sweep the Twins. That's 16 straight postseason losses for Minnesota. Very hard to do in any sport, especially baseball. I don't think anybody but Yankees fans wants to see them have success, but they looked good in the ALDS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:16 am 
Regent's Circle

a friend in Atlanta has been posting on FB non stop in the playoffs like he's physically connected to the team... like, every inning he's biatching about something... one of his comments was about how awful the announcers were... I chimed back "wow, coming from a fan of a team that employs Chip Caray, they must REALLY suck balls.. and if there are announcers that are worse than Chip Caray out there, perhaps we should just cancel baseball".... he did not respond.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:54 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
a friend in Atlanta has been posting on FB non stop in the playoffs like he's physically connected to the team... like, every inning he's biatching about something... one of his comments was about how awful the announcers were... I chimed back "wow, coming from a fan of a team that employs Chip Caray, they must REALLY suck balls.. and if there are announcers that are worse than Chip Caray out there, perhaps we should just cancel baseball".... he did not respond.
I love Atlanta and all their bandwagon fans. I remember back at Tulane when the Braves were early in their Bobby Cox run, and suddenly every southerner who otherwise didn't care about MLB had a Braves T-shirt. I used to root against them just for the fun of it. My favorite memory was watching a playoff game in my Aron apartment on one of those wonderful-but-rare New Orleans October nights when it was like 60 and breezy with no humidity, and we opened the apartment windows... whoever was playing the Braves scored a late go-ahead run or did something good and I yelled "yes!" and someone across the courtyard responded with a grumpy "shut up!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Made my night.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:19 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
I love Atlanta and all their bandwagon fans. I remember back at Tulane when the Braves were early in their Bobby Cox run, and suddenly every southerner who otherwise didn't care about MLB had a Braves T-shirt. I used to root against them just for the fun of it. My favorite memory was watching a playoff game in my Aron apartment on one of those wonderful-but-rare New Orleans October nights when it was like 60 and breezy with no humidity, and we opened the apartment windows... whoever was playing the Braves scored a late go-ahead run or did something good and I yelled "yes!" and someone across the courtyard responded with a grumpy "shut up!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Made my night.

I went to high school in St. Louis, grew up in Springfield, Ill. Despite the fact that St Louis Cardinals are in one of the smaller markets, their fan support has remained among the top every year. They have had 1 or 2 small communities "honored" at every home game; on Litchfield, Ill night the mayor got to throw out the first pitch, and the town had buses and tickets for the local townsfolk come to the game. Built an incredible base that has stayed with them through thick and thin.

I remember seeing the Braves playing in an empty stadium when I was in Augusta, and when the team was more than a few games below .500. Fair weather fans certainly describes them. Saw a game in Shea when the mets and Phillies were battling for the cellar; I have seen little league games that were played better. Had the pick of the place for our seats.

Saints fans and Cardinal fans have stayed with the home team through thick and thin. They are the ones who are deserving of recognition when the team does well, IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Made my night.

I went to high school in St. Louis, grew up in Springfield, Ill. Despite the fact that St Louis Cardinals are in one of the smaller markets, their fan support has remained among the top every year. They have had 1 or 2 small communities "honored" at every home game; on Litchfield, Ill night the mayor got to throw out the first pitch, and the town had buses and tickets for the local townsfolk come to the game. Built an incredible base that has stayed with them through thick and thin.

I remember seeing the Braves playing in an empty stadium when I was in Augusta, and when the team was more than a few games below .500. Fair weather fans certainly describes them. Saw a game in Shea when the mets and Phillies were battling for the cellar; I have seen little league games that were played better. Had the pick of the place for our seats.

Saints fans and Cardinal fans have stayed with the home team through thick and thin. They are the ones who are deserving of recognition when the team does well, IMHO.

I asked in a group of Atlanta fans "how many thousand St Louis fans did it take to make it a sellout at SunTrust?" One guy responded "there weren't as many St Louis fans this time as there were in prior series". I remember in one choke season by the Braves, it felt like Cardinal homes game during the NLDS... it was a good thing for those fans too because St Louis swept them an only HAD 1 home game!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Wait, the Cardinals win like every year and have more WS titles than anyone (non-Yankee division)...what is this "thin" you're referring to?

added on edit: maybe you meant the Arizona Cardinals in which case, my bad, carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:34 pm 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
Wait, the Cardinals win like every year and have more WS titles than anyone (non-Yankee division)...what is this "thin" you're referring to?

added on edit: maybe you meant the Arizona Cardinals in which case, my bad, carry on.

Yeah I'm not a Braves fan for many of the reasons Pete mentioned, but I'm certainly not pulling for the Cardinals either. They've had more than their fair share of success the last two decades. And this business of their fans being some kind of superior baseball fan that is so knowledgeable about the game and so polite to other fans is baloney. Every time ESPN does one of their games you hear about how they are the best fan base in baseball, but there's no real substance to that. It's just a title they've claimed for themselves because they think they are wonderful.

I'm a Nats fan so as long as they are alive that's who I'm pulling for. After that, it would be the winner of the Astros-Rays series.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:39 pm 
Regent's Circle

Actually, I go back a lot farther than you would imagine; in the 70's I think that they did not win a pennant. They had three WS in the 1980's, but had two or three 10 year or so stretches when they did not make it to the playoffs twice in the 70's through 90's. Even when they were out of the race they still regularly were among the highest in attendance. If you consider the metro areas of New York to St. Louis, their attendance is very impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm 
Regent's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Actually, I go back a lot farther than you would imagine; in the 70's I think that they did not win a pennant. They had three WS in the 1980's, but had two or three 10 year or so stretches when they did not make it to the playoffs twice in the 70's through 90's. Even when they were out of the race they still regularly were among the highest in attendance. If you consider the metro areas of New York to St. Louis, their attendance is very impressive.

Probably also have to consider alternative entertainment options when evaluating how impressive that is

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Ah, truly a rough decade following the 3 WS in the 60's and then preceding 3 more as you mentioned in the 80's. A testament to the virtue of the fans that there weren't several lost generations in there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:03 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
Ah, truly a rough decade following the 3 WS in the 60's and then preceding 3 more as you mentioned in the 80's. A testament to the virtue of the fans that there weren't several lost generations in there.

I stuck with the Red Sox from '07 to '13. LET ME TELL YOU!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:17 pm 
Emerald Circle