Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:35 am 
Emerald Circle

Not posting this for the content... posting this because "small school" is splashed in the headline across millions of folks' MSN.com homepage, and yes, it includes all non-P5 schools. I expected this to be an interesting list of FCS guys and such. Instead we get Memphis, UCF, Tulsa, Temple, Houston, and us (Darnell Mooney), along with fairly-respected G5s like Boise State, Appy State, FAU... even ULL (twice) .... all mixed in with a smattering of FCS guys. In other words, the media lumps the AAC together with FCS as "small schools".

People ask why the AAC isn't considered for the "P6", why people don't think we're as good when we have a better year overall than several P5 conferences, etc.... THIS is why. The media still thinks of every school outside the P5 label as small. "Aww, let's write a cute little human interest story and tell people about these little guys who, despite padding their stats for their careers against clearly inferior competition, might have a good combine and fool the scouts into drafting them."

I know this is a crap clickbait MSN listicle, but it just an example of the media wall we are up against. :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

P.S. They're calling UCF small... with all 59,000 of its undergrads...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:09 am 
Emerald Circle

it is a self fulfilling prophecy - all of that BCS money means schools in P-5 conferences that used to be totally off the radar - Baylor, for example, are now better in certain than former good teams (I am thinking UCONN in b-ball) for example.

Except for the pac 10 - they are terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:17 am 
Regent's Circle

Get an auto-bid for NY6 in next round of CFP negotiations and/or sue for antitrust. I like the latter because about 2030, Tulane will be part of settlement giving auto recognition and a bucket of money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:20 am 
Regent's Circle

BTW, UCF student "activity/athletic' fee (or whatever it's called) must now be over $10,000,000 and approaching $15,000,000. Size, like milking the wallets of 60,000 students or so, matters.