Without comment

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Without comment

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Without comment

Unread post by PeteRasche »

The score was in violation of a "lopsided scores policy" for schools in Nassau County, which includes Plainedge, per the New York Post.
This entire article is is pointless without them explaining this policy (which they don't). We can bicker about whether a policy should be in place or whether or not good sportsmanship is legit or BS but unless we know the terms of the policy in question there's no real debate about this specific incident.

Poor/lazy reporting by the writer.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:
The score was in violation of a "lopsided scores policy" for schools in Nassau County, which includes Plainedge, per the New York Post.
This entire article is is pointless without them explaining this policy (which they don't). We can bicker about whether a policy should be in place or whether or not good sportsmanship is legit or BS but unless we know the terms of the policy in question there's no real debate about this specific incident.

Poor/lazy reporting by the writer.
You're right. Really didn't take me long to find it either.
Football scores with a final point differential more than 42 points or more will be defined as lopsided
https://www.nassauboces.org/cms/lib/NY0 ... L_2018.pdf
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Yeah, I definitely was not going to bother googling it. And the reader of a story (which has now gone viral nationally, I saw a link on my MSN homepage on my work computer) should not be expected to have to google it themselves, either (not beefing with you - just saying it's poor reporting).
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

In my association the rule is to run clock when the point differential is 35 or greater in the 3rd quarter onward. Only two things stop the clock: a called timeout or an injury. I remember one game that was 55-6 at the half and final was 55-18 with all 2nd team in for both teams. We have no other lopsided score policy other than running clock, which makes for a very quick game.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Postlude. Their league suspended the coach for a game. I think this is an example of unintended consequences. Even if you put in your seconds they tend to want to show their abilities and the score is even worse. Short of running a victory formation every play I don’t know what else you do.

https://apple.news/Ai7Hxs5mlT9uKS4AIRJhNMQ

Like I posted above my Association runs clock when the score is up by 35 in the 2nd half. It works just fine. It also makes for a 1.5 hour game. :-D . Heck I’ve even had an overmatched coach jokingly ask if we can run clock all game (we can if it’s agreed to by both coaches beforehand but that’s not happened). Even with a running clock I’ve done games that ended close to our ignominious 62 zip.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium