It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:52 pm 
Cornerstone

Reported by TMZ

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bry ... calabasas/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

Yup. Confirmed multiple other places. Stunning.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ko ... li=BBnb7Kz
His reputation will forever be tarnished by the "Colorado hotel scandal" back in the early 2000s but outside of that, all signs appear to point to him really being a classy guy who was very intelligent (despite skipping college!) 8) and who did lots of good things charity-wise. It will be interesting to see the public view of this over the next few days as it gets over-covered in the media. I suspect most sports sources (ESPN, etc.) won't mention the scandal much if at all, whereas social media and conservative news outlets will focus on nothing but that scandal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

only reason I never "liked" Kobe was the whole "Celtics/Lakers" thing.. but Pete, you summed it up right. He did something monumentally stupid in Colorado that night and I believe paid for it dearly (didn't he buy his wife like a million dollar ring after that?)... but other than that, he was a solid citizen. It's still a big shock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

There was a story done recently (on ESPN after Tulane's win over Cincinnati, I think?) about new NBA star Luka Doncic who is from Slovenia. In the story he mentioned he was taking the ball out of bounds and heard someone talk some trash to him from right behind him in the crowd, in his native language. He turned around and it was Kobe sitting right behind him. Kobe laughed and gave him five and then play continued as Doncic inbounded (as Doncic is telling the story, they actually showed video of the interchange occurring). Doncic talked about how amazed he was to have a legend like Bryant recognizing him like that. And of course Bryant, growing up in Italy and traveling a lot, knows multiple languages (I remember hearing about that while he was playing in the Olympics - how he was such an international figure and had so many more fans worldwide because he actually spoke their languages).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

the tragedy gets worse.. his 13 year old daughter was on board, as were a teammate of hers and her dad... they were on their way to the girls' basketball game

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:25 pm 
Emerald Circle

(If it's too small to read, click on it)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 am 
Emerald Circle

Big Philly connection since he jumped from Lower Merion, PA High School out on the Main Line directly to the pros. The outpouring is real although after Bill Cosby, a long time Philly promoter and Temple cheerleader showed his true colors, the Kobe legacy is definitely talked about with some reserve. This WSJ article is a pretty good summation of his legacy. https://apple.news/AoCsGrPnhTw2vxSBei_rqLw

By all accounts he flew straight after the notorious problem and was an involved, excellent father. He also left his wife with a 7 month old daughter. Nine people died on that helo all with families and heartache. Tough days ahead.

I’ve only been on two helo transits in my life and one almost ditched in the ocean. That’s a hard pass for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:29 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

(If it's too small to read, click on it)

among the things we share... not only taking our daughters to their games, coaching them... that hit me hardest... we got the news just hours after my daughter and I returned from our daddy/daughter excursion to Greenville to watch the Wave. Hugged her a little more tightly last night.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:47 am 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
I’ve only been on two helo transits in my life and one almost ditched in the ocean. That’s a hard pass for me.

initial reports are most choppers were grounded due to the fog in the morning... but this guy decided to make the trek... the pilot was instrument rated and the chopper he was flying I guess can handle that soup.. but I think there will be questions in the coming weeks asking "why did they fly in questionable conditions?" I realize they were going to a basketball game and they probably timed their trip so it would have been too late to try to drive there... but again, there will be questions as to why the pilot agreed to fly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:54 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
TUPF wrote:

initial reports are most choppers were grounded due to the fog in the morning... but this guy decided to make the trek... the pilot was instrument rated and the chopper he was flying I guess can handle that soup.. but I think there will be questions in the coming weeks asking "why did they fly in questionable conditions?" I realize they were going to a basketball game and they probably timed their trip so it would have been too late to try to drive there... but again, there will be questions as to why the pilot agreed to fly.
When I read that the local police helos were grounded for fog conditions yesterday morning that was the first thing that came to mind. When the NTSB reconstructs this one you can be sure it will lead the list.

It’s amazing what folks will do to override good sense in the name of schedules, time crunches, perceived deadlines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:11 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Yup. Confirmed multiple other places. Stunning.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ko ... li=BBnb7Kz
His reputation will forever be tarnished by the "Colorado hotel scandal" back in the early 2000s but outside of that, all signs appear to point to him really being a classy guy who was very intelligent (despite skipping college!) 8) and who did lots of good things charity-wise. It will be interesting to see the public view of this over the next few days as it gets over-covered in the media. I suspect most sports sources (ESPN, etc.) won't mention the scandal much if at all, whereas social media and conservative news outlets will focus on nothing but that scandal.

In this age of stone casting, it's been prominently mentioned in every regular news outlet I've seen. In all honesty, I didn't pay much attention at the time and had forgotten about it. I had to google to get a refresher.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

Kobe Bryant helicopter audio released

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

There were quotes from people (or at least one guy who appeared in multiple stories?) in the area that said they heard the engine "spluttering" and sounding like it was having serious trouble, and then a boom and fireball through the fog (there's no indication of issues in the audio linked above but there's just no audio at all). Of course, this could also be a guy trying to get his 15 minutes by inventing a story just so he appears in interview stories. I assume helicopters have "little black boxes" like planes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:33 pm 
President's Circle

There is a iPhone film of the crash. The chopper was spinning out of control and looked like the rear rotor was not working or out of control. The thing dropped like a stone and exploded in a fireball. Didn't look to me that fog was a factor. Did not look like a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:57 pm 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
There is a iPhone film of the crash. The chopper was spinning out of control and looked like the rear rotor was not working or out of control. The thing dropped like a stone and exploded in a fireball. Didn't look to me that fog was a factor. Did not look like a lot of fun.

video has been identified as a fake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Seriously, is nothing sacred? WTF!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:40 pm 
Coach Level

TUPF wrote:
Big Philly connection since he jumped from Lower Merion, PA High School out on the Main Line directly to the pr The outpouring is real although after Bill Cosby, a long time Philly promoter and Temple cheerleader showed his true colors, the Kobe legacy is definitely talked about with some reserve. This WSJ article is a pretty good summation of his legacy. https://apple.news/AoCsGrPnhTw2vxSBei_rqLw

By all accounts he flew straight after the notorious problem and was an involved, excellent father. He also left his wife with a 7 month old daughter. Nine people died on that helo all with families and heartache. Tough days ahead.

When he played at Lower Marion, I went to the prestigious high school Beach Ball Tournament in Myrtle Beach to watch my two nephews from Oklahoma play. Their first game was against Lower Merion. I had never heard of Lower Marion or Kobe at that point. After the game, I went back to my office in Washington and told everyone that I had just seen the best high school player in the country. He was a man among boys. RIP Kobe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:23 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

well... no... nothing is sacred.. remember this gem after 9/11?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Is the crash video circulating a fake or is it a real crash, just not Kobe Bryant?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:43 am 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

My coworker admitted when he first heard the news from TMZ, he thought it was fake and commented to his friends, "Waddaya know, Kobe finally passed. Ba-dum-chhh." He did admit feeling guilty about the comment after it turned out to be true.

Last edited by PeteRasche on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:04 am 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Is the crash video circulating a fake or is it a real crash, just not Kobe Bryant?

was a real crash, not Kobe's...showed a chopper spinning out of control then crashing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:45 am 
Emerald Circle

A lot more details are coming out, including ID of all on board, and details about the speeds of the copter and descent rate at the time of crash. This had to be terrifying for the last quarter-minute of their lives. And the rate of descent (when the pilot was trying to climb) says mechanical failure to me (a complete non-expert). Also note: no "black box" at all.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/th ... li=BBnbfcL

As mentioned above, as a parent, when you read who was in the helicopter and think about all the times you've driven your kid (and maybe other kids) to sports games, or had your kid ride with someone else... just breaks your heart. You never know when someone isn't coming back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:12 pm 
President's Circle

Pete, well said. You never know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:54 pm 
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Listening to the audio, it doesn't sound like visibility was that bad. The AT was vectoring them around the airports (the pilot had planned to follow Highway 101, south of the airports, but because of the wind direction, the airports were launching traffic toward the south) but ATC directed him north, to follow Highway 118 until he was west of Van Nuys airport. Throughout the entire process, the pilot repeatedly confirmed that he was in VFR conditions (he was instrument rated, though).

It was when he turned south, along the western edge of the Van Nuys airport, and ATC transferred him to the SoCal controller that things went awry. The passage through the Burbank and Van Nuys control was uneventful (other than a brief holding pattern east of Burbank to avoid other traffic). He was heading south, rapidly, toward U.S. 101, when SoCal lost contact. He asked for "flight following" assistance from SoCal, but the controller replied that he was too low for the radar to follow him. It was about that time that SoCal lost contact.

For all the initial reports about fog, it sounded like there was a lot of traffic that morning, so it mustn't have been as bad as the initial reports made it sound.