2020 Football Season

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tjtlja
President's Circle

2020 Football Season

Post by tjtlja »

Just wondering what you’ll think the odds are we have any football in 2020.

Dr. Fauci saying we will have a second wave in the fall. I am starting to think the chances are getting lower and lower as we learn more each day.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by TUPF »

I was thinking about the high school football season because us officials had already been given our meeting schedules back in January. First officials meeting for my association is July 27, and every week thereafter. So far the schedule hasn’t changed but if I were a bettor I’d say the chances are less and less each week.

Odds? 50/50 right now, dropping 5% every week.

Unless there’s some unforeseen huge drop in infections I think everything gets canceled: NFL, NCAA, HS.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Past performance is no guarantee of future results

MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Too early to say.

Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

Worse case scenario for the NFL is that they will play in empty stadiums. No way they will give up their Billions in television revenue and the ratings will be an all time high if people are still being told to stay home.

College football will only happen if the students are back on campus. Can't see college Presidents allowing athletes to compete if the rest of the student body isn't allowed on campus. The question, if and when the students are allowed to return, what kind of shape will the athletes be in and how well will they execute the playbook.

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

it's only March 31.. there is still plenty of time before any decisions need to be made
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

As of April 1, I don't think they will. I do believe then NFL has a much better shot.
As much as we all want it to happen if there is a second wave then it will be hard to stop players from getting it from a classmate, dorm mate, etc. All it will take is one team to have a guy get it then the doody hits the fan with the administration and the NCAA.
The NFL has fewer people involved they wont be mingling with tons of other people in classes and their union simply has to agree to it.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Anonymous FBS AD: “If there is no season, we will be f***ed”

Lots of factoids to digest in a brief article should the 2020 season not fo forward, particularly the cascading effects on every non-revenue sport.

https://apple.news/Ave5zNillQGW9Obybr8y0Ww

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:Anonymous FBS AD: “If there is no season, we will be f***ed”
Anyone wanna bet that anonymous AD was named David Benedict? :lol: :lol: :lol:

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Too early to decide, and rushing such conversations leads to rushed cancelations that may not be necessary.

That said, if I were betting, I'd bet there will be no NCAA football in 2020, and only 1-2 NFL games played (at most) before they wake up.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Is it suspicious that it was "posted" the day before it was "written"?

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:Too early to decide, and rushing such conversations leads to rushed cancelations that may not be necessary.

That said, if I were betting, I'd bet there will be no NCAA football in 2020, and only 1-2 NFL games played (at most) before they wake up.
I'll take that bet.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Apparently, there's at least some talk among Presidents about making football a spring sport for the next academic year.

DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

NOT

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

DCGreenie wrote:NOT

Why Not? People will be desperate for live entertainment. So what that it's out of season.
Last edited by wavedom on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here we come!

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I think the vote is pretty easy if it's spring football vs no football. It would be a packed sports calendar though for Wave and all sports fans.

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

spring is obviously better than none, easy choice.

But I'll say this, it'll have an impact on a lot of people. Me, for instance. The only thing that even MIGHT take precedent in any given fall for me is Halloween IF it falls on a home Saturday, and only then because my son is in the wheelhouse age for that holiday.

In Spring, for me, it'd fall behind in precedence 3 weekends of Carnival, Easter, Spring break Texas road trip, Jazz Fest, my son's birthday, and maybe even French Quarter Fest.

I'm not everybody, by any stretch, but I do think I'm not alone in that there are more things in Spring to compete with for butts in seats.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I think it might be kind of cool to have high school and NCAA games in the spring. Once.

Especially if it’s a choice between not at all and spring.

doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

I think Winter/spring is a bigger risk than fall. The latest today (qualify, the latest seems to change often these days), is that heat and sunlight do kill the virus. I think there's a better chance that fall starts with football - pro and college, with either no fans or SD in the stands (25-50% of capacity), and most of the regular seasons get played. CFB has a good chance of finishing the season and maybe the bowls, but they may consider moving the bowls and playoffs all into December.

NFL will be prepared to run an abbreviated schedule with early playoffs too, although they could try to ride it out and flex their muscle to play empty stadium January.

Of course, this is all contingent on no major stars or a significant percentage (10%) of a team getting hit. If that happens, at either level, all bets are off.

Football has the biggest risk with 200+ involved on any game day as opposed to baseball with maybe 100 and basketball even less. But of all the sports that can weather a reduced or no crowd season, it's football because of their TV contracts, lower number of events, and all the side revenue from licensing, fantasy, etc. Basketball and baseball are more dependent on in stadium revenue.
Bring home da Wave!

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

doncecco wrote:I think Winter/spring is a bigger risk than fall. The latest today (qualify, the latest seems to change often these days), is that heat and sunlight do kill the virus. I think there's a better chance that fall starts with football - pro and college, with either no fans or SD in the stands (25-50% of capacity), and most of the regular seasons get played. CFB has a good chance of finishing the season and maybe the bowls, but they may consider moving the bowls and playoffs all into December.

NFL will be prepared to run an abbreviated schedule with early playoffs too, although they could try to ride it out and flex their muscle to play empty stadium January.

Of course, this is all contingent on no major stars or a significant percentage (10%) of a team getting hit. If that happens, at either level, all bets are off.

Football has the biggest risk with 200+ involved on any game day as opposed to baseball with maybe 100 and basketball even less. But of all the sports that can weather a reduced or no crowd season, it's football because of their TV contracts, lower number of events, and all the side revenue from licensing, fantasy, etc. Basketball and baseball are more dependent on in stadium revenue.
Thanks. I’m thinking let’s come down from the 30,000 foot level and big plans to say 50 feet over the football field. How do we have games where we ensure every player is vaccinated (not going to happen in the next 4 months), or has herd immunity (we’d have to test everyone involved), including all coaches and officials? And if they are 100% OK, how do we maintain that over the course of the season? How do we ensure that older coaches and officials are not risking their lives being amidst sweating, spitting, snot flying, heavy exhaling players who may be asymptomatic? I know as things stand today I probably would not officiate any high school football game today—and 5 guys in my association, all over the age of 60 do NCAA football games. Is it worth risking your well being for what is at most a few hundred dollar payday?

These are the deck plate problems that have to be solved before thousands of high school games and hundreds of college games can go forward. I’ll just assume that the NFL has so much money that they could actually test everyone and control contact to make a go of it.

Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

And the article immediately following:
MIT professor believes arenas can be 'as safe as public parks'
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight

Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Right now, if I had to guess, I would say that college football for the 2020 season is, at best, highly doubtful. Lots of dominoes would have to fall into place in uncharted territory. Plus how do actually put (hundreds of thousands) of people's lives at risk? Would you be one of those to actually attend games (any sport) and take that risk? Would you want your son or daughter who is a player on that field/court/diamond putting themselves in harm's way? Priorities folks.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"