2020 Football Season

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Post Reply
windywave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22365
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by windywave »

Marathon Wave wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
pearlriverwave wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm
so you use 1 example out of thousands and turn our country upside down.
I could tell you about my son's teacher's wife who was a perfectly healthy early 50s woman with no underlying conditions and how his teacher will miss the next two weeks or more of school because tomorrow is the day they have to make the call to remove life support since her lungs are filled with blood clots and there's nothing more they can do. I know, I know, "but the teacher himself and their kids all got it too and they were fine.". Sure, what's one death per every few households? Pick somebody, as long as it ain't you, right?
Just asking: Do you actually, personally, know your son's teacher's wife? I've rad several instances where "someone died with no underlying problems" only to later find out, oops, there were diabetic, or had heart problems, or were a pack-a-day smoker, or something else. I do have a suppressed immune system, but I feel this virus isn't as "deadly" as the press, and some people, make it out to be.
What about math? Do you trust math? Infectious disease doctors? Trust them? What are you basing your feelings on?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

windywave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22365
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 am
Marathon Wave wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
pearlriverwave wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm
so you use 1 example out of thousands and turn our country upside down.
I could tell you about my son's teacher's wife who was a perfectly healthy early 50s woman with no underlying conditions and how his teacher will miss the next two weeks or more of school because tomorrow is the day they have to make the call to remove life support since her lungs are filled with blood clots and there's nothing more they can do. I know, I know, "but the teacher himself and their kids all got it too and they were fine.". Sure, what's one death per every few households? Pick somebody, as long as it ain't you, right?
Just asking: Do you actually, personally, know your son's teacher's wife? I've rad several instances where "someone died with no underlying problems" only to later find out, oops, there were diabetic, or had heart problems, or were a pack-a-day smoker, or something else. I do have a suppressed immune system, but I feel this virus isn't as "deadly" as the press, and some people, make it out to be.
Since that misleading “6%” article came out I’ve heard a couple different doctors try to explain the data. It sounds like most people, including doctors, are misreading the data in thinking the virus is making those conditions worse, when in fact, it’s the underlying conditions that are making the virus worse. Meaning the virus, as you say, isn’t as deadly, but some people with severe underlying conditions are more susceptible to having complications from the virus. Basically what most have felt all along, healthy people will feel bad a few days and recover with no problems.
Citation to your nonsense please. Preferably something legitimate.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22735
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by waverider »

TUPF wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:47 pm
waverider wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 am
Marathon Wave wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
pearlriverwave wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 pm
so you use 1 example out of thousands and turn our country upside down.
I could tell you about my son's teacher's wife who was a perfectly healthy early 50s woman with no underlying conditions and how his teacher will miss the next two weeks or more of school because tomorrow is the day they have to make the call to remove life support since her lungs are filled with blood clots and there's nothing more they can do. I know, I know, "but the teacher himself and their kids all got it too and they were fine.". Sure, what's one death per every few households? Pick somebody, as long as it ain't you, right?
Just asking: Do you actually, personally, know your son's teacher's wife? I've rad several instances where "someone died with no underlying problems" only to later find out, oops, there were diabetic, or had heart problems, or were a pack-a-day smoker, or something else. I do have a suppressed immune system, but I feel this virus isn't as "deadly" as the press, and some people, make it out to be.
Since that misleading “6%” article came out I’ve heard a couple different doctors try to explain the data. It sounds like most people, including doctors, are misreading the data in thinking the virus is making those conditions worse, when in fact, it’s the underlying conditions that are making the virus worse. Meaning the virus, as you say, isn’t as deadly, but some people with severe underlying conditions are more susceptible to having complications from the virus. Basically what most have felt all along, healthy people will feel bad a few days and recover with no problems.
Can we agree on one thing? That is, when you are dead you are dead.

For my last physical exam with a new GP he was surprised when reviewing my records that I do not take any prescription drugs. Outside of the occasional Advil for overdoing it, that’s it. I asked him why and he said that the average American over the age of 50 takes four prescriptions and twice that are not uncommon. I am 64.

The point is that it’s pretty common for Americans to have underlying medical conditions. We are a fat nation. We eat and drink too much. We have sedentary lifestyles. Diabetes is everywhere and getting worse. Asthma is not uncommon. Heart disease still is our number one killer. Smokers know the risks and do it anyway. Cancer killed my youngest sister last year despite excellent health beforehand. From my totally unscientific view underlying conditions are more normal than a rarity. So if you want to say the virus exacerbated an underlying condition or the underlying condition exacerbated the virus, either way you might get pretty sick and maybe take a dirt nap. Dead is dead. And that does not even address the long haulers with problematic symptoms long after “recovery”.

A good chunk of American 18 year olds who apply cannot pass the military entrance physical exam even though they self select. College athletes are a small cohort of young people in the best physical condition and is why there are valid discussions of whether they can take the gamble with lesser consequences. For the rest of us it’s disingenuous to split hairs on whether it is ‘underlying+COVID=dead‘ or ‘COVID+underlying=dead‘. And sometimes, just plain ‘COVID=dead‘. Dead is dead.
I was telling someone at work the other day that the reason Louisiana seems to have a higher death rate than some states is because we usually rank in the bottom 3, if not last, most years in health. And you are right. Dead is dead and when it comes to COVID, there’s a 98% chance you won’t die if you catch it.

While it’s a long shot of happening, I’d like the NCAA to follow CDC guidance and only test symptomatic players.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23903
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:06 pm
While it’s a long shot of happening, I’d like the NCAA to follow CDC guidance and only test symptomatic players.
Explain to me why for anything other than a political reason.

They have the money and the access set up to test everyone. Testing everyone catches asymptomatic players so they don't spread it to someone else. As I've noted before, people are all caught up in the healthy 21 year old players but forget we have an older coach, or maybe someone like a trainer has an underlying condition... are they not people too? Or do they not matter because the game can happen without them? Months ago I mentioned how I guess you wouldn't care if "Jerry the water boy" died, I guess he would be an "unfortunate casualty" that was necessary to have football be played, and we can all wear a black patch on our helmets and say "what a shame but the game must go on"... right? Seriously.

I know, I know... if we test everyone, we catch asymptomatic people who might end up not showing any effects otherwise and, OH NO, that "skews the numbers up" and hurts the arguments of you and all the non-epidemiologist doctors you choose to follow who are being paid by PACs to say we shouldn't be worried about this disease. And heaven forbid we have real data showing how many people are infected, because that might force you to have to wear a mask to the store for a little while longer.

User avatar
WaveProf
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22406
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:12 am

I know, I know... if we test everyone, we catch asymptomatic people who might end up not showing any effects otherwise and, OH NO, that "skews the numbers up" and hurts the arguments of you and all the non-epidemiologist doctors you choose to follow who are being paid by PACs to say we shouldn't be worried about this disease. And heaven forbid we have real data showing how many people are infected, because that might force you to have to wear a mask to the store for a little while longer.
I've known since Spring that people wanted to act like this wasn't real, to make the kind of blind arguments Rider et al have made over and over. It bothered me, but I was used to it, not shocked by it. But being abroad this summer when the whole "test less" arguments started popping up on social media, it just seemed impossible that anyone actually thought that we should test less--surely that couldn't be anything more than a tiny fringe of lunatics. And then I came back stateside and was like, wowzas, people really want less testing? Why would anyone, ranging from the biggest COVID freak out person to the biggest "live our life" etc etc NOT want accurate numbers? Not want to at least stop the spread in the one way that doesn't impact others (by isolating those who hav it)?? These issues aren't political in almost any other country, yet this thread is walking on political eggshells here. Why? How? How could a human being want less testing?!? My faith in humanity is truly shaken.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23903
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:45 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:12 am

I know, I know... if we test everyone, we catch asymptomatic people who might end up not showing any effects otherwise and, OH NO, that "skews the numbers up" and hurts the arguments of you and all the non-epidemiologist doctors you choose to follow who are being paid by PACs to say we shouldn't be worried about this disease. And heaven forbid we have real data showing how many people are infected, because that might force you to have to wear a mask to the store for a little while longer.
I've known since Spring that people wanted to act like this wasn't real, to make the kind of blind arguments Rider et al have made over and over. It bothered me, but I was used to it, not shocked by it. But being abroad this summer when the whole "test less" arguments started popping up on social media, it just seemed impossible that anyone actually thought that we should test less--surely that couldn't be anything more than a tiny fringe of lunatics. And then I came back stateside and was like, wowzas, people really want less testing? Why would anyone, ranging from the biggest COVID freak out person to the biggest "live our life" etc etc NOT want accurate numbers? Not want to at least stop the spread in the one way that doesn't impact others (by isolating those who hav it)?? These issues aren't political in almost any other country, yet this thread is walking on political eggshells here. Why? How? How could a human being want less testing?!? My faith in humanity is truly shaken.
You know the answer. Their leader told them so. Period.

User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 20472
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by TUPF »

waverider wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:06 pm
Dead is dead and when it comes to COVID, there’s a 98% chance you won’t die if you catch it...While it’s a long shot of happening, I’d like the NCAA to follow CDC guidance and only test symptomatic players.
I am reminded of the recent cartoon, paraphrasing here, where there are 100 people on a beach with a very prominent shark fin about 20 feet offshore and the guy says ‘Everybody in the water! Only two of you will die.”
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11227
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by ml wave »

At the risk of repeating/paraphrasing myself, a complete and utter indictment of our educational system.

ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 11227
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:12 am
waverider wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:06 pm
While it’s a long shot of happening, I’d like the NCAA to follow CDC guidance and only test symptomatic players.
Explain to me why for anything other than a political reason.

They have the money and the access set up to test everyone. Testing everyone catches asymptomatic players so they don't spread it to someone else. As I've noted before, people are all caught up in the healthy 21 year old players but forget we have an older coach, or maybe someone like a trainer has an underlying condition... are they not people too? Or do they not matter because the game can happen without them? Months ago I mentioned how I guess you wouldn't care if "Jerry the water boy" died, I guess he would be an "unfortunate casualty" that was necessary to have football be played, and we can all wear a black patch on our helmets and say "what a shame but the game must go on"... right? Seriously.
Not to mention, a pretty significant % of CFB players are not exactly svelte.

User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6656
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by GretnaGrn »

Louisiana Tech just cancelled this week's game with Baylor due to a COVID outbreak blamed on Hurricane Laura

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 7e7d7.html

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23903
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by PeteRasche »

GretnaGrn wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Louisiana Tech just cancelled this week's game with Baylor due to a COVID outbreak blamed on Hurricane Laura
That's a very 2020 sentence right there. ^^^^

User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 6656
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:48 pm
GretnaGrn wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Louisiana Tech just cancelled this week's game with Baylor due to a COVID outbreak blamed on Hurricane Laura
That's a very 2020 sentence right there. ^^^^
Almost. Needs more murder hornets or wildfires or something....

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23903
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by PeteRasche »

GretnaGrn wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:16 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:48 pm
GretnaGrn wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Louisiana Tech just cancelled this week's game with Baylor due to a COVID outbreak blamed on Hurricane Laura
That's a very 2020 sentence right there. ^^^^
Almost. Needs more murder hornets or wildfires or something....
And double-barrelled tropical storms, and snowstorms in September, and... I dunno, did Carole Baskin have anything to do with it?

User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 20472
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 am
GretnaGrn wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:16 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:48 pm
GretnaGrn wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:58 pm
Louisiana Tech just cancelled this week's game with Baylor due to a COVID outbreak blamed on Hurricane Laura
That's a very 2020 sentence right there. ^^^^
Almost. Needs more murder hornets or wildfires or something....
And double-barrelled tropical storms, and snowstorms in September, and... I dunno, did Carole Baskin have anything to do with it?
All on Zoom while getting hacked by QAnon.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22735
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by waverider »

Latoya the Destroya won’t answer question about HS football being allowed and claims they had no idea Tulane was playing football.

Per Travers Mackle:
UPDATE: @mayorcantrell would not answer a simple yes or no question on if high schools can play football, saying phase 2 says no. Her top medical official says the @Saints have applied to the state to play Sunday and she had no idea @GreenWaveFB was playing football in #Nola. @wdsu
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

User avatar
long green
Cornerstone
Posts: 26298
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by long green »

Fitts needs to call every college within two hours of here and ask them if we can use their stadium.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

gerryb323
Regent's Circle
Posts: 7149
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Location: We're not in Kansas anymore

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by gerryb323 »

No idea we were playing football in NOLA ever?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

User avatar
long green
Cornerstone
Posts: 26298
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by long green »

waverider wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Latoya the Destroya won’t answer question about HS football being allowed and claims they had no idea Tulane was playing football.

Per Travers Mackle:
UPDATE: @mayorcantrell would not answer a simple yes or no question on if high schools can play football, saying phase 2 says no. Her top medical official says the @Saints have applied to the state to play Sunday and she had no idea @GreenWaveFB was playing football in #Nola. @wdsu
Nm
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

User avatar
TU77CAL82
Coach Level
Posts: 2254
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Location: Broadmoor

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by TU77CAL82 »

A lot of false narratives going on around here. The Mayor did not participate in the discussion about football. Dr. Avegno did, and she absolutely did answer the question about high school football. She said that the LHSAA had not provided, nor determined, what their virus protocols were, and that the City could not make a determination about high schools until they had that information. A reporter (I'm assuming Mr. Mackerel) pressed the issue about Tulane and the Saints. While she was evasive about Tulane, she did not say that they had no idea that Tulane was practicing. If anything, I thought we were getting cover.

User avatar
waverider
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22735
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: North Kenner

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by waverider »

long green wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Fitts needs to call every college within two hours of here and ask them if we can use their stadium.
A lot of NOLA schools have reached out to Jeff Parish schools and vice versa about using their fields.


I finally saw a clip of the press conference. Dr. Avengo sounded like she was backtracking some in a way to hide that she knows we are practicing. In the clip I saw, she first says “Tulane isn’t governed by the LHSAA” then when asked again why Tulane could hold full contact practice she said “I don’t know about Tulane’s practices” which to me, sounded like she didn’t know if they were tackling or not.

The thing that I think most people are complaining about is that she (the mayor) won’t, or can’t, say what her guidelines are for going to phase 3. She just keeps saying “follow the data” but likely doesn’t know what the data is that she wants to follow and certainly can’t explain it.

Dr Stewart, btw, is not only on the AAC advisory board, he’s also on the LHSAA advisory board.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

windywave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 22365
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by windywave »

long green wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Fitts needs to call every college within two hours of here and ask them if we can use their stadium.
F that.... there's a stadium in Evanston not in use
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23903
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by PeteRasche »

Go Illini!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-uni ... li=BBnb7Kz
A University Had a Great Coronavirus Plan, but Students Partied On
This is one of the most comprehensive plans by a major college to keep the virus under control. University scientists developed a quick, inexpensive saliva test. Other researchers put together a detailed computer model that suggested these measures would work, and that in-person instruction could go forward this fall.

But the predictive model included an oversight: It assumed that all of the students would do all of the things that they were told to.

Enough students continued to go to parties even after testing positive, showing how even the best thought-out plans to keep college education moving can fail when humans do not heed common sense or the commands from public health officials.

User avatar
TUPF
Emerald Circle
Posts: 20472
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by TUPF »

My buddy, with twin daughters—juniors at Tulane and Hope College—have this discussion repeatedly. The Hope College kid got infected in August at a gathering of her friends off campus and was SHOCKED. Came home and put Mom and Dad through the whole quarantine and testing mambo. Of course she was contrite. I suspect this has played out many times throughout the country. Tulane daughter has an apartment in New Orleans and moved back there in July because her roommates were gone and she felt she had more breathing room.

My buddy and I both agree: see you in 2021 because they can’t help themselves.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

Johnny4
Breaker Level
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:13 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by Johnny4 »

long green wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Fitts needs to call every college within two hours of here and ask them if we can use their stadium.
We definitely need a contingency plan. The city could suddenly decide to stop turning a blind eye and say no home game on the 19th.

User avatar
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle
Posts: 23903
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: 2020 Football Season

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny4 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 am
We definitely need a contingency plan. The city could suddenly decide to stop turning a blind eye and say no home game on the 19th.
While idiocy in New Orleans government would be far from the first (or last) time, the farthest anyone would logically go would be no fans. Tulane has enough alumni in places of power in the state that if Tulane had their games canceled, LSU would have to cancel too (with their 25,000 fans allowed) because the hypocrisy of canceling Tulane while not canceling LSU would be too much to overcome... and you know nobody would DARE suggesting canceling LSU's game.

Post Reply