2020 Football Season

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Re: 2020 Football Season

Unread post by Johnny4 »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:59 am
Johnny4 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 amWe definitely need a contingency plan. The city could suddenly decide to stop turning a blind eye and say no home game on the 19th.
While idiocy in New Orleans government would be far from the first (or last) time, the farthest anyone would logically go would be no fans. Tulane has enough alumni in places of power in the state that if Tulane had their games canceled, LSU would have to cancel too (with their 25,000 fans allowed) because the hypocrisy of canceling Tulane while not canceling LSU would be too much to overcome... and you know nobody would DARE suggesting canceling LSU's game.
Pete, my understanding is that New Orleans is in phase 2, but the rest of the state is in phase 3. That means different rules for Tulane and LSU :-/

I see in the other thread that Tulane announced that we have clearance from the city and state government, so I it sounds like we should be good to go!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Memphis has 20 plus positive players. 9/18 game with Houston in jeopardy
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Tulane doesn't have many in power. You need both the state and the city's approval. LSU has that in B.R.. Tulane has the state as does every other FBS team in the state. It's the mayor that is different. Fortunately we have found out now that she will not block Tulane from playing due to our protocols.
We deserve so much better
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm Memphis has 20 plus positive players. 9/18 game with Houston in jeopardy
Cancelled. Houston replaced them with a trip to Baylor (who lost a game due to La Tech having an outbreak)
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:15 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm Memphis has 20 plus positive players. 9/18 game with Houston in jeopardy
Cancelled. Houston replaced them with a trip to Baylor (who lost a game due to La Tech having an outbreak)
That's a bold strategy, Cotton
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

could be a nice win for UH and the conference if it pans out -
ALERT!!!

we have seen the Big 12 dominate this season

SARCASM!
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Yankeewave wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pm could be a nice win for UH and the conference if it pans out -
ALERT!!!

we have seen the Big 12 dominate this season

SARCASM!
They just can't handle that Sun Belt speed....
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Some reporter from Lafayette decided to write a scathing story about the "lack of honesty" at LSU and in our desperate-for-scandal COVID times, it made USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... NextModule

Nothing really surprising here... A bunch of players had it, they probably got it at bars, the curfew from bars isn't 24/7 so what can we do?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Southern Miss interim HC Scotty Walden is leaving to take Austin Peay HC job. Whoa
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:21 pm Southern Miss interim HC Scotty Walden is leaving to take Austin Peay HC job. Whoa
WOW. :shock:

I mean, I don't know how they are liking him considering what he was left with, but leaving without interviewing for the head job for Austin Peay??
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

They wouldn't have to be THAT upset with him to be honest and say they weren't going to consider him. And if that was the case, capitalize into a HC when you have the chance.......

I mean we all "liked" the Toledo interim, but would we have wanted to consider hiring him? I suppose if he ran the table he might have forced us to consider it, but it would have taken a LOT. And while USM hasn't rolled over like everyone thought they would, I wouldn't say they've met anywhere close to the threshold it'd take to make you consider keeping the in house guy if you went into all of this knowing full well that you didn't want to.

Speaking of Mark Hutson, btw, here is his resume post being our HC:

Oakland Raiders (2012–2014)
Tight ends
Eastern Illinois (2015)
Associate head coach / Offensive line
Cleveland Browns (2016–present)
Assistant offensive line coach
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Sooooooo... Trevor Lawrence is out with COVID.
Luckily for Clemson they have BC this week. Will be interesting to see if he's back for Notre Dame next week (though it seems like football players all magically heal in a week).
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:21 pm Southern Miss interim HC Scotty Walden is leaving to take Austin Peay HC job. Whoa

I mean, I don't know how they are liking him considering what he was left with, but leaving without interviewing for the head job for Austin Peay??
Through the rumor mill, he took the AP offer to USM and asked them to remove the interim tag. They said thanks but no thanks and Walden decided to take the bird in the hand.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:42 am

Through the rumor mill, he took the AP offer to USM and asked them to remove the interim tag. They said thanks but no thanks and Walden decided to take the bird in the hand.
Oof. That'll show you where you stand!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:28 am

Yup. That's the classic 'if you call your boss's bluff be prepared for the consequences'. He was.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:55 am
gerryb323 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:28 am

Yup. That's the classic 'if you call your boss's bluff be prepared for the consequences'. He was.
I don't think he was calling the boss's bluff. I think with how things are going at USM, he was like "they either need to pay me more and make me head or I'm out of here". It was probably more like USM wasn't that keen on keeping him and he was upset they didn't hand him the job so he went job shopping and it's mutually agreeable for him to be gone.
wave-em in
President's Circle

Unread post by wave-em in »

Going back and looking at some of these posts, makes is clear how we are currently in the COVID situation we are in now.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

So, um, I watched a movie with the family last night and didn't pay any attention to college football. The LSU/Florida shoe throw? WTF?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 pm So, um, I watched a movie with the family last night and didn't pay any attention to college football. The LSU/Florida shoe throw? WTF?
Missed two good football games....UF LSU and then USC UCLA
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 pm So, um, I watched a movie with the family last night and didn't pay any attention to college football. The LSU/Florida shoe throw? WTF?
Just another Florida Man story
Victory is never permanent