Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Post by PeteRasche »

I'm not the least bit worried about Fritz going anywhere. Show me a P5 team who salivates over an older G5 coach who has barely skated above the .500 mark for several years. There would be a fanbase mutiny.

People here keep listening to the announcers who say "what a great job he's done rebuilding" and how "he's been a winner at every level" but stepping back and looking at results, are they going to hire Fritz or are they going to hire some 30-something guy who just took an SBC or CUSA team to a top 25 ranking and a 0-, 1-, or 2-loss season? I'm betting on the latter every time.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:19 am Back to the thread topic: If Hall leaves for USM, is he perhaps jumping too soon? As speculated above and elsewhere, if Harbaugh and/or Hermann are gone (and Franklin too?) with open SEC jobs and whatever is to come, we could see enormous migration among existing HCs. I know it's all relative but this year could have an extraordinary number of job openings.

I don't think Fritz leaves but extension buyout should give Dannen the coin to find a solid next coach.

If nothing else, it will keep this board active.
Bird in the hand, especially if being in MS is important to him.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:12 pm I'm not the least bit worried about Fritz going anywhere. Show me a P5 team who salivates over an older G5 coach who has barely skated above the .500 mark for several years. There would be a fanbase mutiny.

People here keep listening to the announcers who say "what a great job he's done rebuilding" and how "he's been a winner at every level" but stepping back and looking at results, are they going to hire Fritz or are they going to hire some 30-something guy who just took an SBC or CUSA team to a top 25 ranking and a 0-, 1-, or 2-loss season? I'm betting on the latter every time.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Is going 7-6 at Tulane in the AAC equivalent to 8-4 or 9-3 at most places. I think the answer is clearly yes. Especially when Tulane is doing this in the AAC. Kind of like James Franklin taking Vandy to bowl games. That may equate to 9 or 10 wins most anywhere else.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:19 am Back to the thread topic: If Hall leaves for USM, is he perhaps jumping too soon? As speculated above and elsewhere, if Harbaugh and/or Hermann are gone (and Franklin too?) with open SEC jobs and whatever is to come, we could see enormous migration among existing HCs. I know it's all relative but this year could have an extraordinary number of job openings.

I don't think Fritz leaves but extension buyout should give Dannen the coin to find a solid next coach.

If nothing else, it will keep this board active.
Bird in the hand, especially if being in MS is important to him.
Agree. It's an FBS job in his home territory. USM has existing talent and Hall can recruit anybody he wants there. Hall's a good coach. I bet he wins CUSA sooner rather than later.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Existing talent where? Not on their roster. They have been run into the ground. They look nothing like the USM teams of early CUSA. That is the good news/bad news for Hall. USM is so far down that he's going to look like a million bucks to them for any early good surprise results on the field/it's going to take time for him to have a roster as good as say, Marshall's.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:05 pm Existing talent where? Not on their roster. They have been run into the ground. They look nothing like the USM teams of early CUSA. That is the good news/bad news for Hall. USM is so far down that he's going to look like a million bucks to them for any early good surprise results on the field/it's going to take time for him to have a roster as good as say, Marshall's.
The good news for them is that the rest of CUSA looks nothing like the teams of early CUSA either.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Yes. But they have a ways to go until they are as talented as Marshall, the most consistent team in that league.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Well USM PTB disagree with you as Hopson's bizarre firing demonstrated. Let's just leave USM existing talent level at that.

Again Hall can recruit anyone he wants including 20 jucos from Last Chance U. He will be competitive in CUSA quickly whether talent is existing or replaced. Like Fritz, Hall is used to doing big things with modest budgets. That's the advantage of Hall's successful D2 background as USM clearly is only modestly resourced.

Hey he may channel his inner Sonny Dykes and bring the migratory Lindsey Scott JR over from NSU to replace the migratory Jack Abraham. Let's not forget Scott now has another year of eligibility just like Jack. (OK it's a joke but these are strange times....)

Good luck to you, Coach Hall!
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Back to Michigan. I hate COVID but it has provided some sublime moments including now the UM AD publicly calling Kirk Herbstreit a "fool" in a PR video released by the school not a chance misspeak in a drive by interview. It's one thing for Corso to degrade Herbstreit in the ESPN Clown Show but Warde Manuel being literally and ultimately professionally uncollegial??!!

This changes by the day but COVID may very well save Harbaugh's job regardless of whether UM plays OSU next week. Translating Manuel, "My kid may be ugly but only I can say that or see you outside. Understand??!!"

This is why rivalries matter. Man I miss playing LSU.....
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

South Carolina will hire Shane Beamer. Not a home run, more like trying for a bunt single.

South Alabama is firing their coach.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 pm South Carolina will hire Shane Beamer. Not a home run, more like trying for a bunt single.
That's because they have to pay $15M off to the "Big Sweater." Probably could not afford anyone else.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Rotorooter wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:36 pm
long green wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:19 pm South Carolina will hire Shane Beamer. Not a home run, more like trying for a bunt single.
That's because they have to pay $15M off to the "Big Sweater." Probably could not afford anyone else.
Sweater? The garment or the physical reaction? I ask because me and a friend have been referring to Muschamp as Big Pale Sweaty for years.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Urban Meyer reportedly tells Texas he's not interested.

ULM fires Matt Viator.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:37 am
Rotorooter wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:36 pm
Sweater? The garment or the physical reaction? I ask because me and a friend have been referring to Muschamp as Big Pale Sweaty for years.
The reaction. I must admit I like Big Pale Sweaty better.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If you watched ASU-Arizona tonight you have to wonder if Kevin Sumlin is next on the unemployed list.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Baywave1 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:16 am If you watched ASU-Arizona tonight you have to wonder if Kevin Sumlin is next on the unemployed list.
They're hemorrhaging coin and their hoops program is going to get nuked so he's probably safe
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Reported that South Alabama will be hiring Indiana DC Kane Wommack. His dad was a DC all over the South.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Sumlin out in Arizona
Be prepared to lose for what you might get
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Arkansas St. rumored to be hiring Butch Jones, with major applewhite at OC.

Vandy is reportedly interested in Jeff Monken of Army. Not sure if that means they would run the triple or if he would install something different there
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Seeing reports that Lovie Smith is out at Illinois
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Football Scoop reporting that Monken is also a target for the Illinois job.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Malzahn is out at Auburn
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

A lot of Auburn fans online are beating the drums for Mario Cristobal. Excellent recruiter but can't win the little one.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

gerryb323 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:27 pm Malzahn is out at Auburn
Just looked up his buyout...owed nearly $21.5 million with half to be paid within 30 days. Wish someone would cut me a $10 million check to go away
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Bring back Pat Dye (is he still alive?)