Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2020-21 (Special COVID edition!)

Post by Rotorooter »

FW wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:05 pm Bring back Pat Dye (is he still alive?)
Nope.

I think they will target Napier or the coach at Coastal Carolina. Perhaps Venables, but he has not shown a predilection to be a HC or leave Clemson. To think about it, if Hall had a couple of successful years under his belt at USM, I would think he would be a serious candidate for them.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I know these coach search lists are generally 99% spitballing and only slightly less sourced than the bowl assignment ones. However even at blimp level it surprises me how few folks throw in UC's Fickell as a candidate. So far I've seen him mentioned by one or two for Illinois but that's about it.

Maybe this is all based on real reporting and Fickell is immovable except for say OSU or the like but still. Meanwhile it only helps AAC if he stays so we can root for that even if it's unlikely at some point.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:34 pm I know these coach search lists are generally 99% spitballing and only slightly less sourced than the bowl assignment ones. However even at blimp level it surprises me how few folks throw in UC's Fickell as a candidate. So far I've seen him mentioned by one or two for Illinois but that's about it.

Maybe this is all based on real reporting and Fickell is immovable except for say OSU or the like but still. Meanwhile it only helps AAC if he stays so we can root for that even if it's unlikely at some point.
He's got a large family and is 100% a midwest guy. Anybody serious won't be listing for jobs outside the Midwest except maybe Alabama or Clemson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:41 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:34 pm I know these coach search lists are generally 99% spitballing and only slightly less sourced than the bowl assignment ones. However even at blimp level it surprises me how few folks throw in UC's Fickell as a candidate. So far I've seen him mentioned by one or two for Illinois but that's about it.

He's got a large family and is 100% a midwest guy. Anybody serious won't be listing for jobs outside the Midwest except maybe Alabama or Clemson
If Fitz takes the Bears job I could see Fickell being enticed. He'd have Cincy job security but B1G salary
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Fickell on this guy's Illinois list:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... vie-smith/
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Rotorooter wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:26 pm
Nope.

I think they will target Napier or the coach at Coastal Carolina. Perhaps Venables, but he has not shown a predilection to be a HC or leave Clemson. To think about it, if Hall had a couple of successful years under his belt at USM, I would think he would be a serious candidate for them.
Was seeing Freeze come up last night, too.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Sophandros wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:17 am
Rotorooter wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:26 pm
Nope.

Was seeing Freeze come up last night, too.

Freeze + Auburn= NCAA setting up an investigation office in Auburn the day of the hiring.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Freeze + Auburn = NCAA puts Ole Miss or Arky or Mizzou on probation. They wont touch Auburn, Alabama, LSU, etc. These days. Cam Newtons tenure proved that.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I am hoping someone Snags Heupel or Ficknell..
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It appears Vanderbilt is hiring VU alum and Notre Dame DC Clark Lea.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:07 pm It appears Vanderbilt is hiring VU alum and Notre Dame DC Clark Lea.
ALERT!!!

Whew, they didn't steal Fritz!

SARCASM!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Yes, Pete, I came close to posting something a lot like that. : )
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Art Briles has resigned his HS coaching position. Is this precursor to some program's big heel turn?
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:45 pm Yes, Pete, I came close to posting something a lot like that. : )
Based on some people here's irrational fears, you could post it after every single job is filled. :lol:
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:03 pm Art Briles has resigned his HS coaching position. Is this precursor to some program's big heel turn?
The rumor is Hugh Freeze leaves Liberty for the Auburn job, and then Briles takes the Liberty job, reuniting with his former Baylor AD (and former Tulanian) Ian McCaw...
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Another version has Freeze going to Tennessee, with Briles then replacing him.

Auburn seems to be targeting Mario Cristobal, whose current team got COVIDed into the PAC 12 title game. That has delayed things and given Oregon time to sweeten his deal. The Auburn 247 site runners say that DC Kevin Steele is a serious candidate. That has to be a smokescreen; Steele went 1-31 in league play at Baylor.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:59 pm
long green wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:03 pm Art Briles has resigned his HS coaching position. Is this precursor to some program's big heel turn?
The rumor is Hugh Freeze leaves Liberty for the Auburn job, and then Briles takes the Liberty job, reuniting with his former Baylor AD (and former Tulanian) Ian McCaw...
The information that has come out recently shows the Baylor Admins and higher ups to have been far more of the problem than Briles. They sacrificed Briles to the NCAA because they didnt do crap to enforce title ix guidelines and tried to dave their asses. I have no like or dislike of Briles and don't think he deserves anything good or bad because I dont know what happend behind closed doors and I refuse to infantilized grown men and hold their their coaches accountable for what they do off of the playing field. On the surface most to of then neglegamce is on the universities end.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Be prepared to lose for what you might get
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

He was last time too until their QB voiced displeasure about the triple. If hired, I would bet money they won't even run the triple, but they might have recruiting impacts anyway just like happened to fritz his first couple of seasons
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:32 am Another version has Freeze going to Tennessee, with Briles then replacing him.

Auburn seems to be targeting Mario Cristobal, whose current team got COVIDed into the PAC 12 title game. That has delayed things and given Oregon time to sweeten his deal. The Auburn 247 site runners say that DC Kevin Steele is a serious candidate. That has to be a smokescreen; Steele went 1-31 in league play at Baylor.
Cristobal has now been massively extended so he is out. Steele was the guy all along, but now the anti Steele crowd is pushing back. Tbd where Auburn looks next and it may still come back around to Steele
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Cristobal was extended but at a level Auburn could easily top, if he's signed it.

Steele if hired is an interim. Two years and they're doing this again.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:17 pm Cristobal was extended but at a level Auburn could easily top, if he's signed it.

Steele if hired is an interim. Two years and they're doing this again.
That would be hard to fathom. They'd be paying 10.5 to Gus now, plus the remaining 11 million over the next few years. Then they'd be paying the 9 million buyout on Cristobal's extension plus I assume they'd have to offer more annually than the 4.3 million Oregon is bumping him to. I guess it's possible, but that would be quite a bit of coin to lay down up front in a pandemic.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Yeah but they can tell you if it doesn't work out, you can retire to the US Senate!
PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:58 am Yeah but they can tell you if it doesn't work out, you can retire to the US Senate!
Not until you've won a national championship and beaten Alabama. You have to do that to gain enough respect that the Bama fans will hold their noses and vote for you along with the Auburn half of the state! :lol:
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Be prepared to lose for what you might get