Eagles fire Doug Pederson 3 years after SB win

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Eagles fire Doug Pederson 3 years after SB win

Post by TUPF »

Terrible season? Yes. Devastating injuries? Yes. Matador OL? Assuredly. QB honeymoon over? You betcha.

It's a tough business I know but I think owner Jeffrey Lurie was premature here. The Big Cheeseburger, Andy Reid, is probably enjoying this one.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Re: Eagles fire Doug Pederson 3 years after SB win

Post by Baywave1 »

His decision to yank Hurts was an incredibly uncompetitive move. You always have to at least make it look like you're trying to win. No one will mention it on the record but I wonder if he lost much of his team over that and Lurie figured that after only winning four games this year, it was just easier replacing the coach.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

TUPF wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:50 pm The Big Cheeseburger, Andy Reid, is probably enjoying this one.
I suspect he's focused on something else
Be prepared to lose for what you might get
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:17 pm His decision to yank Hurts was an incredibly uncompetitive move. You always have to at least make it look like you're trying to win. No one will mention it on the record but I wonder if he lost much of his team over that and Lurie figured that after only winning four games this year, it was just easier replacing the coach.
I'm guessing it has more to do with the $100MM albatross that Hurts replaced? If the decision to pull Hurts was Pederson's and Pederson's alone, then it's the most head-scratching decision I've ever seen.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Update: blame seems to be falling on failed relationship with Wentz

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/philade ... 10113.html
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 pm Update: blame seems to be falling on failed relationship with Wentz

interesting in that a new coach could possibly want to emulate the Ravens offense and Lamar by building it around Hurts thus rendering Wentz trade bait or a cap casualty.. does Lurie put the breaks on the hire of such a coach so he can keep an embarrassingly overpaid and overwhelmingly underperforming QB?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:43 pm
ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 pm Update: blame seems to be falling on failed relationship with Wentz

interesting in that a new coach could possibly want to emulate the Ravens offense and Lamar by building it around Hurts thus rendering Wentz trade bait or a cap casualty.. does Lurie put the breaks on the hire of such a coach so he can keep an embarrassingly overpaid and overwhelmingly underperforming QB?
I think if you're firing a coach because of his bad relationship with the QB you've guaranteed $100MM+ to, it follows that it's important that the coach you hire will have to have a good relationship with Wentz. Wentz doesn't seem to be happy riding the bench, so, given that he's terrible and Hurts is at least promising...this is going to get very interesting. I believe the Eagles are in a really bad cap situation (Saints-like) so I think they're stuck with Wentz on the roster for at least the near future.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:17 pm

I think if you're firing a coach because of his bad relationship with the QB you've guaranteed $100MM+ to, it follows that it's important that the coach you hire will have to have a good relationship with Wentz. Wentz doesn't seem to be happy riding the bench, so, given that he's terrible and Hurts is at least promising...this is going to get very interesting. I believe the Eagles are in a really bad cap situation (Saints-like) so I think they're stuck with Wentz on the roster for at least the near future.
nobody is in Saints-like cap he11... Saints are 95 million over for 2021 as of today
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 pm

nobody is in Saints-like cap he11... Saints are 95 million over for 2021 as of today
Wow, that's insane
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

The 95 million number assumes a cap of $175MM (though some speculation that could wind up higher)...Eagles are 89 million over (without a full roster) and have a doozy of a QB dilemma...I'll stick with "Saints-like".
Either way, the Eagles have one of the NFL's worst salary cap situations for 2021. Under offseason accounting rules, only the top 51 salaries (i.e.; cap numbers) matter. Philadelphia has just under $263.94 million in 2021 cap commitments with 46 players under contract according to NFLPA data.
Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:10 pm

The 95 million number assumes a cap of $175MM (though some speculation that could wind up higher)...Eagles are 89 million over (without a full roster) and have a doozy of a QB dilemma...I'll stick with "Saints-like".
Either way, the Eagles have one of the NFL's worst salary cap situations for 2021. Under offseason accounting rules, only the top 51 salaries (i.e.; cap numbers) matter. Philadelphia has just under $263.94 million in 2021 cap commitments with 46 players under contract according to NFLPA data.
ml, I highly recommend overthecap dot com... Eagles are 52 million over.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Here's what over the cap says:
Saints: Total Cap Liabilities: $276,396,739 Top 51: $276,015,521 Team Cap Space: ($96,274,550)
Eagles: Total Cap Liabilities: $262,839,304 Top 51: $250,083,582 Team Cap Space: ($52,286,596)

Those numbers don't add up? Either way, think I'd rather be the Saints without a QB (Brees retiring should knock $25MM off that cap number) than the Eagles (fired a coach to stick with Wentz).

Edit: probably current year cap space carrying over to make up that difference? Only thing I can think of. Point still stands, lol.