Les Miles

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Les Miles

Unread post by TUPF »

My apologies if this is old news but looks like something happened today regarding events from 2013.

https://apple.news/AbWJ2aIx6QR2B64NO4DZoxw
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Les Miles

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Wow... so apparently 5 years after leaving their employ is the duration of the LSU "bury the scandal" policy...
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Latest from Advocate

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 758ff.html

Athletic is reporting that Miles is on very thin ice at Kansas along with AD who hired him.

https://theathletic.com/college-football/

I'd say the obvious. If Miles is canned, we are going to see more than one speculation about Fritz as a replacement. I rank it at only 5 per cent likely if even that but still I would have said the same thing about Smith when Mason got fired at Arizona forty one years ago. Very unusual circumstances and timing leads to very unusual results and dominoes start falling.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Important to remember, like with the more severe cases, lsu will avoid having any responsibility for this. It’s almost as if the NCAA president was a former lsu chancellor :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:35 am Latest from Advocate

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 758ff.html

Athletic is reporting that Miles is on very thin ice at Kansas along with AD who hired him.

https://theathletic.com/college-football/

I'd say the obvious. If Miles is canned, we are going to see more than one speculation about Fritz as a replacement. I rank it at only 5 per cent likely if even that but still I would have said the same thing about Smith when Mason got fired at Arizona forty one years ago. Very unusual circumstances and timing leads to very unusual results and dominoes start falling.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

If Fritz was attractive to them why not just go after Craig Bohl of Wyoming? Slightly older but probably a lot cheaper. KU probably would go the interim route.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Sorry about all the clutter.
waverider
Cornerstone

There’s a title IX hearing at lsu going on now. Two employees were put on unpaid suspension so far.

Joe Alleva says he wanted to fire Miles but received pressure to keep him on.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:39 amJoe Alleva says he wanted to fire Miles but received pressure to keep him on.
And had he kept winning, he would have.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:39 am There’s a title IX hearing at lsu going on now. Two employees were put on unpaid suspension so far.

Joe Alleva is the king of "I wanted to but".
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:48 am
waverider wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:39 am There’s a title IX hearing at lsu going on now. Two employees were put on unpaid suspension so far.

Although there's some strong competition among SEC ADs for that title...
long green
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:48 am

He gave him a big new contract that very year after Miles' agent shopped his client to Arkansas. It's hysterical. All these big program AD's swagger around acting like they make the weather but they freak out over things a secure person would shrug off. A truly strong AD would have told Miles' agent to go take that inferior job and happily got into the coaching market.
waverider
Cornerstone

An lsu fan (that went to SMU) at work said Alleva had support from some of the board while the other half wanted to keep Miles and that he strongly believes Bobby Jindal stepped in to save Miles because he liked him.
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

long green wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:50 am If Fritz was attractive to them why not just go after Craig Bohl of Wyoming? Slightly older but probably a lot cheaper. KU probably would go the interim route.
I agree with you 100%. I think as often noted here schools tend not to repeat the same mistake consecutively. KU has just bombed on hiring a successful old guy who coached in Louisiana. They won't try to sell that again to the Jayhawk faithful. Unless they offered Fritz the bank, I couldn't see Willie taking such a massive rebuild as his last job. He has more chance of beating OU at Tulane than he would at KU.

I ask you to read the fine print, I said there would be "speculation" about Fritz not that Kansas would find him attractive. Just trying to prepare for the inevitable local hysteria if and when his name pops up. As I said I place odds on this happening as one-in-twenty at best.
waverider
Cornerstone

Then there’s this little tidbit
Before Derrius Guice played his final game at #LSU (the Citrus Bowl after the 2017 season), he sexually harassed a 70-year-old attendant during a HS championship game.

It was reported to university. "Guice was never put thru the University’s disciplinary process," report says.
that 70 is not a typo :shock: While he has serious issues, part of me wants to see this 70yo before passing judgment. :lol:

It’s actually worse than it sounds

Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Will KU have to pay Miles up to $8 million or can he be canned for cause? Good local analysis from KC paper:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 14578.html
long green
Cornerstone

Interesting non-Miles detail in that story. KU tried to stiff Miles' predecessor out of $3 million only to agree to pay him 85% of that 15 months after a suit was filed. Wonder if their lawyer's fees made up the difference? Punchline: they did!
waverider
Cornerstone

For those scoring at home:

Per Amie Just:
Firings/resignations after the release of the Husch Blackwell report:

Kansas: 2
Oregon State: 1
LSU: 0
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

I never would have thought in my lifetime that administrative/executive association with LSU athletics would be viewed as toxic by the outside world but here it is If Wade goes down next (say within 12 to 18 months) with a significant NCAA probation,
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:15 pm I never would have thought in my lifetime that administrative/executive association with LSU athletics would be viewed as toxic by the outside world but here it is If Wade goes down next (say within 12 to 18 months) with a significant NCAA probation,
Matt Moscona of ESPN BR said on a pod that this is far, far from over. He says if the LSU Board of Regeants thinks they can pat themselves on the back for commissioning this investigation and point to the few scapegoats, they are stupider than they look. The Advocate and one of the TV stations are still digging. Apparently, the days of the Looziana media being friendly to the Mothership and sweeping stuff under the rug are long gone.
Bring home da Wave!
waverider
Cornerstone

doncecco wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:23 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:15 pm I never would have thought in my lifetime that administrative/executive association with LSU athletics would be viewed as toxic by the outside world but here it is If Wade goes down next (say within 12 to 18 months) with a significant NCAA probation,
Matt Moscona of ESPN BR said on a pod that this is far, far from over. He says if the LSU Board of Regeants thinks they can pat themselves on the back for commissioning this investigation and point to the few scapegoats, they are stupider than they look. The Advocate and one of the TV stations are still digging. Apparently, the days of the Looziana media being friendly to the Mothership and sweeping stuff under the rug are long gone.
That’s surprising to hear from someone who routinely doesn’t even talk lsu athletics on his show following a football loss. This is the first time I can remember actual heat coming down on them, but, until it happens I’ll just assume it will be swept under the rug like usual.

If it does happen and Tulane could get their athletic shît together, the media may start to cover us more.
Tulane Greenbackers

MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

Thus far, all the heat is still on the handling of the Miles portion of the situation.

And even the news yesterday was initially that the board knew. Then that only applied to 3 members of the board. As though a portion of the board would learn something like that and not mention it to the rest.

No one’s really addressed that it continued for a couple years after he left.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

I think the heat on the Title IX (really criminal) issues against the LSU football players will continue to pick up. The Lewis family has gone public as well as several of the other victims. Rejecting anonymity can be difficult and painful but putting your name and face before the public allows greater empathy and support to be generated to force genuine accountability at LSU and its miscreants.

Keep an eye on Woodward. He was recruited directly by a few Board members who separately "retired" Alleva. This did not go through the LSU President as it would have in most any normally functioning organization. Woodward then very loudly announced shortly after his hiring that Athletics was no longer going to give any funds to Academics. (That comment again showed who really runs LSU.) If we start to see signs that Woodward is truly part of a chain of command and accountable to those above him in the org chart then maybe some real change at LSU is in the works.

Otherwise as noted above, it's KU 2, OSU 1, LSU 0. I'm not holding my breath that the last number changes.
long green
Cornerstone

The big coverup at LSU being done to protect a booster with ties to the worst actors among ballplayers there.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Let's be less cryptic for our out of state readers.

The booster I believe you refer to is outside of Benson perhaps the richest person in Louisiana, a big big supporter of Gov Edwards and supposedly thinking seriously of running to succeed Edwards. He also rejected Edwards trying to place him on the LSU Board. His most publicized relationship with one of the alleged perps is as a foster parent. I don't know if more focus on that will hurt his reputation. Foster parenting is a good thing. It may help him. If there is other unpublicized stuff a la Wade then, yes, this could be roughly analogous to Clements at SMU.

It may all come out anyway because national media like USA Today is all over it. Local media interest or not will not matter for advancing this story. If he runs for governor, it definitely will come out because his political opponents will dump any negative opposition research on the internet for all to see.