Duke's season over due to COVID

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Duke's season over due to COVID

Post by PeteRasche »

Record not good enough for any postseason tournament at-large bid (13-11) and they just had a positive test that eliminated them from the ACC tournament. Wow.

I've been wondering all along what would happen if it suddenly spread through an NCAA site; I guess other teams move on by forfeit... If two opponents had a positive test on the last game of the weekend (meaning they'd have a week to test negative and continue on), and found out about the opponent's situation, I have to imagine the pressure to cheat the results would be immense (not to mention the pressure from gamblers to somehow alter results)... If one team tests positive, does the other have to test completely clear in order to "win" and advance? If both tested positive on a Thursday or Friday, would the whole game be a forfeit and their opponent on that Saturday or Sunday move on? I have to imagine this has all been thought through... Have they published official rulings on it?

Hopefully no teams test positive at all throughout the whole thing and we don't have to wonder.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Duke's season over due to COVID

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:21 pm Record not good enough for any postseason tournament at-large bid (13-11) and they just had a positive test that eliminated them from the ACC tournament. Wow.

I've been wondering all along what would happen if it suddenly spread through an NCAA site; I guess other teams move on by forfeit... If two opponents had a positive test on the last game of the weekend (meaning they'd have a week to test negative and continue on), and found out about the opponent's situation, I have to imagine the pressure to cheat the results would be immense (not to mention the pressure from gamblers to somehow alter results)... If one team tests positive, does the other have to test completely clear in order to "win" and advance? If both tested positive on a Thursday or Friday, would the whole game be a forfeit and their opponent on that Saturday or Sunday move on? I have to imagine this has all been thought through... Have they published official rulings on it?

Hopefully no teams test positive at all throughout the whole thing and we don't have to wonder.
I’d be ok if Houston tests positive tomorrow
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:06 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:21 pm Record not good enough for any postseason tournament at-large bid (13-11) and they just had a positive test that eliminated them from the ACC tournament. Wow.

I’d be ok if Houston tests positive tomorrow
I thought the same thing right after our game today :mrgreen:
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

The NCAA is allowing teams to play as long as they have at least 5 eligible players. Players will have individual rooms and will wear the bracelets (or whatever) to monitor for contact tracing...seems like it'd be tough to continue with a positive test but I guess we'll see.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

No Duke, no UK, no Michigan State... Louisville solidly on the bubble after losing in the first round...

Local news this morning said that if Louisville isn't in the tourney, it will be the first time since the start of the "modern" NCAA tourney that neither UK nor UL made it. And the laugh here is that the whole state of Kentucky could be represented by Morehead State, who won their conference tourney and punched their ticket already.

UVA just dropped out of the ACC tourney due to COVID. The story about that clarified that you must have a 7 day clear period to be eligible in the NCAA, so teams are now within that window where they could be out of the dance if they test positive over the next three days.

In smaller school news, it probably hits even harder when you are a "once in a blue moon, only make it by winning your tournament" type program. NC A&T is such, and was the top seed in their tournament but just had to drop out due to COVID. For programs like that where you have a great year and have one legit shot at any postseason, that's maybe even more of a killer.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Or like us when we win the AAC tourney?!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:38 pm Or like us when we win the AAC tourney?!
Right. If we upset Houston tonight and go on to win the AAC and then test positive and have to drop out... what a wonderful thought.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I believe they had said for the big tourney they will have the "first 4 out" designated as backups and if someone has to drop out before it starts they will sub them in. After the first round though, it's just a forfeit.
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Kansas is now withdrawing from the Big 12 tournament due to a positive test. Will be interesting to see if they can clear in time for THE tournament. Maybe they should "Self"-impose a postseason ban this year!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

On Gus’s show today he had a gambling handicapper or something like that on and they were saying they wouldn’t be surprised if more teams that pretty much know their seeding would drop out of their conference tournament to protect their players before the tournament. Even hinted that Kansas may be doing that, whereas a team like Duke needed to win games in their conference tournament to possibly get a bid.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:36 pm No Duke, no UK, no Michigan State... Louisville solidly on the bubble after losing in the first round...

Local news this morning said that if Louisville isn't in the tourney, it will be the first time since the start of the "modern" NCAA tourney that neither UK nor UL made it. And the laugh here is that the whole state of Kentucky could be represented by Morehead State, who won their conference tourney and punched their ticket already.

UVA just dropped out of the ACC tourney due to COVID. The story about that clarified that you must have a 7 day clear period to be eligible in the NCAA, so teams are now within that window where they could be out of the dance if they test positive over the next three days.

In smaller school news, it probably hits even harder when you are a "once in a blue moon, only make it by winning your tournament" type program. NC A&T is such, and was the top seed in their tournament but just had to drop out due to COVID. For programs like that where you have a great year and have one legit shot at any postseason, that's maybe even more of a killer.
Yeah, I felt bad for Dayton last year...they really had a chance to do something in the tourney.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:21 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:36 pm No Duke, no UK, no Michigan State... Louisville solidly on the bubble after losing in the first round...

Yeah, I felt bad for Dayton last year...they really had a chance to do something in the tourney.
Absolutely. Lots of Dayton grads around here... The anniversary of last year's cancelation is weighing on them even more now that they realize what a rare chance they had.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Same for ETSU locally last year. Dominated Socon, won 30 games and then the conference tourney only to have the big dance canceled. Would've had a great chance to win a game or two.

BTW, I'm not sure all the teams Pete listed are totally done. Louisville has an outside chance at the bubble. Michigan St. is still alive too, at least according to some folks who track such things. We will see how many conference tourneys end with surprise winners.