The death of the midrange jumper?

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

The death of the midrange jumper?

Post by PeteRasche »

Interesting story about Alabama's Nate Oats and the statistics-driven method of his success in Tuscaloosa.

We've had discussion here about how stats have driven the shift to 3-point-heavy offenses, but about how Tulane isn't exactly the Golden State Warriors... this seems the logical modification of that plan for college teams that don't shoot as well as the pros.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rick-pitino-ch ... W_5b5-RKSE
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: The death of the midrange jumper?

Post by Rotorooter »

This article is logic to what you would see in highlights of today's basketball vs. that of yesteryear. If you look at old films of the 70's/80's/even the 90's, you see players (scorers) creating their own shots in a half court offense. Drives, pull-ups jumpers, passing inside off of the penetration, etc. It's rare to see that anymore beyond a PG penetration and then the kickout to a shooter beyond the three point line. Totally different game and my "get off my lawn" experience says that the game is not nearly as entertaining as it used to be (the GS Warriors passing ability notwithstanding). Certainly not in college, anyway.

The analogy with baseball would be the desire and strategy to aim for more homers, more strikeouts occur, less balls in play means a more boring spectator experience.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:19 pm This article is logic to what you would see in highlights of today's basketball vs. that of yesteryear. If you look at old films of the 70's/80's/even the 90's, you see players (scorers) creating their own shots in a half court offense. Drives, pull-ups jumpers, passing inside off of the penetration, etc. It's rare to see that anymore beyond a PG penetration and then the kickout to a shooter beyond the three point line. Totally different game and my "get off my lawn" experience says that the game is not nearly as entertaining as it used to be (the GS Warriors passing ability notwithstanding). Certainly not in college, anyway.

The analogy with baseball would be the desire and strategy to aim for more homers, more strikeouts occur, less balls in play means a more boring spectator experience.
Just listened to a podcast about this. They proposed limiting 3 pointers to a set number per game (until the last x minutes). Interesting idea anyway
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:34 pm
Rotorooter wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:19 pm This article is logic to what you would see in highlights of today's basketball vs. that of yesteryear. If you look at old films of the 70's/80's/even the 90's, you see players (scorers) creating their own shots in a half court offense. Drives, pull-ups jumpers, passing inside off of the penetration, etc. It's rare to see that anymore beyond a PG penetration and then the kickout to a shooter beyond the three point line. Totally different game and my "get off my lawn" experience says that the game is not nearly as entertaining as it used to be (the GS Warriors passing ability notwithstanding). Certainly not in college, anyway.

Just listened to a podcast about this. They proposed limiting 3 pointers to a set number per game (until the last x minutes). Interesting idea anyway
I think that would be more interesting if there was no exception...20 3s a game, strategize if/how many you want to save until the end, etc. Would make for some good arguments.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I would move it back so the arc starts at the free throw lane so the drive and kick is MUCH harder (Technically I would prefer abolishing it but that ain't happenin')
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count