March Madness

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

March Madness

Post by TUPF »

Watched all the play in games on March 18 which were surprisingly entertaining. I honestly did not realize until yesterday that unlike years past and all because of the pandemic, all teams are housed in a bubble containing the arena with multiple courts connected to three hotels over walkways. I wasn't paying attention and just thought there were sites like in years past culminating in Indianapolis.

Anyway one of the announcers mentioned that because every team is in the same venue and see each other a lot more than in years past, the intimidation factor of underdog vs. traditional powers are less, leading to lot more close games. They see each other in the halls and in the practice venues. Also take away the "home" advantage of the usual regional sites packed with their fans and it makes March Madness about as close as neutral courts possible for everyone.

Like many March Madness fans I filled out a couple of brackets going mostly chalk with Gonzaga winning it all in one. In the other I picked Houston just because they are AAC (with WSU one and done it doesn't speak well for the conference so far). Thinking now I wonder if we are going to see more, not fewer, "upsets" when it's just two teams on the court with no screaming crowds.

As a side note I don't know why a lot of the coaches even bother with the charade of wearing a mask unless they have unusually cold chins.
Last edited by TUPF on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: March Madness

Post by gerryb323 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/i ... ianapolis/

There's a good summary. All of the teams are staying in downtown Indy next to the convention center. Games will be played at Purdue, IU, Butler, the Pacers' arena, and the Colts' stadium. Convention center is home to the 12 practice courts. Quite the operation!
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:28 am https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/i ... ianapolis/

There's a good summary. All of the teams are staying in downtown Indy next to the convention center. Games will be played at Purdue, IU, Butler, the Pacers' arena, and the Colts' stadium. Convention center is home to the 12 practice courts. Quite the operation!
Thanks. I misunderstood that every game was in the Convention Center instead of the 12 practice courts. They showed a time lapsed video of all the courts being laid down and said all the teams would be in three hotels connected by walkways to the Center. Still, it means all the teams are seeing a lot more of each other than they would in a normal year and that was the point of the conjecture--that familiarity breeds less awe.

Games start in under three hours. We shall see if it makes a difference with lots of upsets or just the normal bracket busters here and there.
After you've been on fire under Arctic pack ice everything else is a walk in the park.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Seems like a pretty good chance we get a first time winner this year. Gonzaga, Illinois and Baylor are all one seeds and Houston, Bama, and Iowa are all 2s. All would be first time Champs if they pulled it off. Hoping for an entertaining year!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

In day one, we've had wins by a 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 15. A 14 is currently at halftime... So go Morehead State, a win would mean every possible upset except the 16s.

Craziest tourney ever? We'll see eventually, but wow.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Let's see what happens in the Saturday games for the first round but an early read indicates that given a truly neutral court without a big raucous crowd supporting a team the seedings don't mean nearly as much. When you think about it it makes sense. I always thought the ACC teams playing in a Raleigh regional gave them 10 points before tipoff.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:03 am Let's see what happens in the Saturday games for the first round but an early read indicates that given a truly neutral court without a big raucous crowd supporting a team the seedings don't mean nearly as much. When you think about it it makes sense. I always thought the ACC teams playing in a Raleigh regional gave them 10 points before tipoff.
There are other things at play too... Last night I was thinking about the time zone situation. Everyone is playing in the Eastern time zone. While there have always been instances of east coast teams being shipped west and having to play a late game, usually higher seeds get to stay closer to home, and typically the late games are west regional sites so you don't have games tipping at like 9:45 local time. This year you have games going on at 1 am in the actual site where they are occurring (the last game last night ended around 1 am). It's tough to play that late... You spend the whole day wanting to stay fresh so you sit around and do nothing in your hotel and it is soooo boring, and actually makes you feel tired/groggy just from doing nothing.

In my 5 years playing I think maybe the latest we ever tipped was 8 pm local time, and it felt weird... When we played in that tourney in Oakland it felt even stranger tipping at like 7 pm PT because even after a few days out there it was still 9 pm on our body clocks. Our first-ever program win post-rebirth in 1989 was in a holiday tourney in Arkansas and the game started a bit late (probably around 8?) and went to OT, and I remember when we got back to the hotel afterwards and had a quick meeting in Clark's room around 11:15 pm, he said "curfew/lights-out" was midnight and we were like "do we have to stay up that long?" :lol:

Edited because I forgot Indiana is ET... they used to be one of the states that didn't change for DST but now they do, and I was thinking they'd chosen CT.
Last edited by PeteRasche on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Our first COVID casualty is Oregon / VCU. Apparently VCU violated some protocol or had a positive test (initial story says no details due to privacy rules). Oregon moves on.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

No perfect brackets left after the first round. Not surprising. Seems like there were more other years, but Google says only like 9 or 10 in 2019.

This year I'm surprised anyone even was perfect through day one, though apparently there was one in the official site contest.

Funny aside: the March Madness app apparently has automated algorithms for alerts, because I got a "close game" alert last night with Oregon up 1-0 on VCU (the forfeited game). :lol:
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

If Kansas were to lose, it will make this only like the 3rd Final Four in the past 30 years without Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Michigan State, or Kansas as at least one of the participants, never mind that only 1 of those made it out of the first round.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Oral Roberts is the second 15 seed to make the Sweet 16, after knocking off Florida.

Tweet of the night: "Oral Roberts ends both Ohio State and Florida's runs, a feat only previously accomplished by Urban Meyer's health problems." :lol:
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

UH made it past Rutgers. So good for AAC. Can't predict if it will continue but the game last night reminds why knock out tourneys are so fun. Rutgers dominates for most of game then goes cold for a few minutes and now goes home.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Let's see what happens while the Sweet Sixteen is rounded out but I think this wild tourney is what would happen more often if held under similar neutral conditions with no near home court advantage of the regional sites. It's hard to know especially since it's one and done unlike the baseball regionals.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I also suspect that today's transfer-happy and one-and-done culture amongst the "power" programs has been especially hurt by the limited and often-interrupted COVID season. With all these programs having only one season together, those players would have benefited from playing a full and uninterrupted season, and probably done better in the tourney. Contrast that with the smaller programs where there are probably way more upperclassmen who have been playing together for many years in the same program.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Michigan tops lsu 86-78. Local attorney CJ Murdock tweeted that it was a “strong ass loss by lsu” :lol:

Michigan will go to a 4th straight Sweet 16 for the first time ever.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

LSU has no seniors on their roster. How many of those guys will be leaving for the NBA. Smart? Thomas?
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:52 pm LSU has no seniors on their roster. How many of those guys will be leaving for the NBA. Smart? Thomas?
A lot might depend on if they were to actually be punished for making “strong ass offers” to get those kids.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

I’m watching 4 seed La Tech in the NIT. They beat 1 seed Ole Miss in the first round. After last week, it’s now safe to say they are ahead of us in baseball and basketball and may even be close to us in football.

Also watching Memphis struggling vs Boise St and the ball is a bright orange one which looks more like a rubber street ball than an official NCAA ball.
Tulane Greenbackers

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

First time watching Gonzaga from tip to the end. They didn't even look super sharp and still dismantled a decent Creighton team by 18 and it wasn't that close. Reminded me of when the UConn women would beat other top five teams by 20.

To paraphrase the postgame analysts, for someone to beat this year's Gonzaga that team will have to have a Rollie Massimino Villanova national championship game while Gonzaga has an off night. It could happen but the chalk call for Gonzaga to win it all looks right.
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

TUPF wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:31 pm First time watching Gonzaga from tip to the end. They didn't even look super sharp and still dismantled a decent Creighton team by 18 and it wasn't that close. Reminded me of when the UConn women would beat other top five teams by 20.

To paraphrase the postgame analysts, for someone to beat this year's Gonzaga that team will have to have a Rollie Massimino Villanova national championship game while Gonzaga has an off night. It could happen but the chalk call for Gonzaga to win it all looks right.
They are now 29-0 on the season
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I wanna know if the remaining members of the 1976 Indiana team get together to pop champagne like the 1972 Dolphins do, and whether they are very concerned this year. They should be.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:31 pm First time watching Gonzaga from tip to the end. They didn't even look super sharp and still dismantled a decent Creighton team by 18 and it wasn't that close. Reminded me of when the UConn women would beat other top five teams by 20.

I could see Baylor giving them a shot, their guard play is outstanding.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

A Baylor Gonzaga final would be outstanding and would guarantee a first time winner for the second tourney in a row. I also thought Illinois could hang, but was not to be.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm A Baylor Gonzaga final would be outstanding and would guarantee a first time winner for the second tourney in a row. I also thought Illinois could hang, but was not to be.
Also curious how they fare against USC's interior defense. If Kispert/Suggs are off from outside, USC could have a chance.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

ml wave wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:11 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm A Baylor Gonzaga final would be outstanding and would guarantee a first time winner for the second tourney in a row. I also thought Illinois could hang, but was not to be.
Also curious how they fare against USC's interior defense. If Kispert/Suggs are off from outside, USC could have a chance.
Saw elsewhere that Gonzaga is right now the best 2-point efficiency team of all time while USC is the best 2-point efficiency defense this year. Great example of styles make fights. Things are aligned for a really interesting game.