Elgin Baylor, RIP

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Elgin Baylor, RIP

Post by Rotorooter »

As a kid who grew up idolizing Jerry West and as a result being a huge Laker fan, I am stunned at the death of one of the greatest, Elgin Baylor. Watching he and West was one of the great tandems in NBA history. Elgin was way before his time with his acrobatic moves and scoring ability. With us discussing the death of the midrange jumper in another thread, this only seems apropos that we discuss a guy who may have been the greatest creator of the midrange jumper in basketball history--certainly one of the first.

RIP, Elgin.
Plan your work, work your plan.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Elgin Baylor, RIP

Post by AO Sig »

When I was an undergrad The New Orleans Jazz would often practice in the afternoon in the Tulane Gym on Freret. At the time he was at the helm of the Jazz; watching him shoot around with Pete Maravich and Truck Robinson, among others, was simply amazing.

The sad truth is that none of the incredible shots Pete and EB did would make ESPN's top 10 list. Every young player dreams of making that show of greatness; why would they ever work on something so bland as a 20 foot rainbow that only touched the bottom of the net?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Elgin Baylor, RIP

Post by PeteRasche »

Not to digress but I did not know Truck Robinson played with the Jazz. Anthony Reed and I went to a "Big Man" summer camp at Belmont University (next to Vandy) several summers while at Tulane, and Truck was one of the instructors. I think he had some claim to fame like "shortest player to lead the NBA in rebounding for a season" or something. Great guy. Surprised he did not talk to us about New Orleans during any of the breaks (or at least I don't recall him doing so).