Grambling State Volleyball Coach Cuts Every Scholarship Player From Team, per Report

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Grambling State Volleyball Coach Cuts Every Scholarship Player From Team, per Report

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Live footage:

More seriously, what a horrible thing to do. The fact that it's allowed should shut anyone up complaining about the transfer portal.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Grambling State Volleyball Coach Cuts Every Scholarship Player From Team, per Report

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

GretnaGrn wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:43 pm Live footage:

More seriously, what a horrible thing to do. The fact that it's allowed should shut anyone up complaining about the transfer portal.
It's almost like you read the article.... "Trayvean Scott, GSU’s athletic director, said in a statement that “just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes, our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs.”"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Disgusting
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:29 pmDisgusting
Why?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

she's been fired.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

MattK wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:46 amshe's been fired.
And all of the scholarships have been reinstated.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:46 pm
curious why the AD did a 180 on this? I wonder if a Title IX suit was headed their way and he capitulated?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:05 pm
waverider wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:46 pm
curious why the AD did a 180 on this? I wonder if a Title IX suit was headed their way and he capitulated?
Because it's ridiculous to cut the entire team and take away their scholarships? Because he wants to retain the ability to recruit players in the future? Because he has a brain?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

ml wave wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:19 am Because it's ridiculous to cut the entire team and take away their scholarships? Because he wants to retain the ability to recruit players in the future? Because he has a brain?
This. For whatever reason the AD didn't want to rock the boat midseason. A decision I disagree with, but obviously isn't mine to make. But it was obvious from day one this coach would be gone by seasons end, and 99% likely the players would be back. You just can'd do what this coach tried to do. For a MYRIAD of reasons.

And, if in some REMOTE chance the AD didn't always plan to do this, and the original quote wasn't talking out of one end of hte mouth and staying vague (as I suspect it was), then the why is still clear. the AD didn't want to lose THEIR job cause there is no way both the AD and the president and the board are that stupid.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 pm
ml wave wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:19 am Because it's ridiculous to cut the entire team and take away their scholarships? Because he wants to retain the ability to recruit players in the future? Because he has a brain?
This. For whatever reason the AD didn't want to rock the boat midseason. A decision I disagree with, but obviously isn't mine to make. But it was obvious from day one this coach would be gone by seasons end, and 99% likely the players would be back. You just can'd do what this coach tried to do. For a MYRIAD of reasons.
it all happened in the spring.. not during the season.. the woman coached exactly 0 games at Grambling

My point though was the AD supported her at first and I don't think "common sense" is what changed his mind.