Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:47 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:42 am
Posts: 4565
Location: Lafayette, LA
They got every call

_________________
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:47 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29677
Location: Way ahead of you
The ball was fumbled into the endzone, where a Tulane player touched it before it went OB.

But the referees, paid to help ECU, blow the call.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 pm 
Offline
Head Trainer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 am
Posts: 63
Holy Crapoli!!!!!

_________________
You're killin' me Smalls!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12789
This one belongs to the Wave!

_________________
"I'm learning to fly / But I ain't got wings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29677
Location: Way ahead of you
OGSB wrote:
This one belongs to the Wave!

:bluecrowd:
:bluecrowd:
:bluecrowd:
:bluecrowd:
:bluecrowd:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:42 am
Posts: 7412
Location: Kingsport, Tennessee
Amazing finish!!!! Two fourth and goal plays thwarted by the Tulane defense late in the game

_________________
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 29677
Location: Way ahead of you
Had to beat the referees to get a W


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2274
Roller wrote:
The ball was fumbled into the endzone, where a Tulane player touched it before it went OB.

But the referees, paid to help ECU, blow the call.


That guy didn't fumble. But they did owe us a call.

Can't believe they went jumbo, under center, run up the middle on 4th down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17682
Location: Chicago
MattK wrote:
Roller wrote:
The ball was fumbled into the endzone, where a Tulane player touched it before it went OB.

But the referees, paid to help ECU, blow the call.


That guy didn't fumble. But they did owe us a call.

Can't believe they went jumbo, under center, run up the middle on 4th down.


If you can't get half a yard, you don't deserve to win


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2274
windywave wrote:
MattK wrote:
Roller wrote:
The ball was fumbled into the endzone, where a Tulane player touched it before it went OB.

But the referees, paid to help ECU, blow the call.


That guy didn't fumble. But they did owe us a call.

Can't believe they went jumbo, under center, run up the middle on 4th down.


If you can't get half a yard, you don't deserve to win


I'm thankful they did it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 1837
I am always amazed at coaches who do that on fourth and half yard. You see it in almost every game and it only works about half the time. It would be much easier to fake it and bootleg the qb like Banks did on fourth and one at the 16. I don't understand it when we do it either. I think it is a football ego thing...if you can't beat them at the line of scrimmage you don't deserve to win. You have to put aside your ego and use misdirection.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 am 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17328
Location: Philly & Ocean City, MD
Cheerleader wrote:
I am always amazed at coaches who do that on fourth and half yard. You see it in almost every game and it only works about half the time. It would be much easier to fake it and bootleg the qb like Banks did on fourth and one at the 16. I don't understand it when we do it either. I think it is a football ego thing...if you can't beat them at the line of scrimmage you don't deserve to win. You have to put aside your ego and use misdirection.

Agree big time. I even see it in high school. The fake up the gut then QB rollout works about 90% of the time.

_________________
Tulanian since 1974


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:29 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 4976
TUPF wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:
I am always amazed at coaches who do that on fourth and half yard. You see it in almost every game and it only works about half the time. It would be much easier to fake it and bootleg the qb like Banks did on fourth and one at the 16. I don't understand it when we do it either. I think it is a football ego thing...if you can't beat them at the line of scrimmage you don't deserve to win. You have to put aside your ego and use misdirection.

Agree big time. I even see it in high school. The fake up the gut then QB rollout works about 90% of the time.


Because the defensive end/LB crashes on the FB. It's human nature. Who wants to be maintaining "discipline" on the QB and/or option man when stopping the dive wins the game? I bet Tulane's guys did the same thing against ECU in OT.

Remember TU got stuffed against UC several times running up the middle on short yardage downs to our detriment. They picked the perfect time in OT to fake it.

It's like you're the last out batting in a baseball game with tying/winning run on base. Pitcher knows you will not take a third strike to end the game so it expands the strike zone and the pitcher takes advantage of it.

I'm not criticizing the coaches. Going after one yard in the most direct manner does make sense. You just have to know on the margin when to depart from it. Tulane did last night.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17682
Location: Chicago
TUPF wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:
I am always amazed at coaches who do that on fourth and half yard. You see it in almost every game and it only works about half the time. It would be much easier to fake it and bootleg the qb like Banks did on fourth and one at the 16. I don't understand it when we do it either. I think it is a football ego thing...if you can't beat them at the line of scrimmage you don't deserve to win. You have to put aside your ego and use misdirection.

Agree big time. I even see it in high school. The fake up the gut then QB rollout works about 90% of the time.


Except everybody does it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ECU
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3272
Location: Wichita
Drew Brees and the Saints handle this the best. He just jumps up and sticks the ball over the goal line. 60% of the time it works every time.

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group