Southeastern LA game

Join other Green Wave fans to follow the games together in attom's Living Room and to report game scores. BYOB
(Use this forum for in-game updates and scores for ALL games for ALL teams, not just Tulane)
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Southeastern LA game

Post by visualmagic »

I don’t like to say a player is terrible but man that AB to lead off the 8th... and he’s looked like that in all his at-bats
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

so what’s the score
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

6-1
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 pm I don’t like to say a player is terrible but man that AB to lead off the 8th... and he’s looked like that in all his at-bats
I’ve been asking since day 1 why is he in the lineup. Further demonstrates Jewett’s inability to recruit D1 talent.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

so glad I didn’t go the the game, yet miss seeing the people ☹️
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:26 pm I think it’s sort of a false choice to say that we have to ignore one of these sports. We can try to succeed in all of them.
You writing the check?

It's not hard to see the problem when you look at the TV contracts of the P5 conferences. The rich are getting richer and it's not close. We got a nice new AAC contract that puts us clearly in front of the G5 but we are so far from the P5s it's not even close. Someone said above that in 2005 baseball wasn't a priority for SEC schools like it is now - that is absolutely true. I lived in Alabama from 97-04 and never ONCE did I ever hear all of my Bama and Auburn co-workers mention their baseball teams. Not a single time. I remember when Bama made the regional against us in 05 and I emailed my old bosses to talk a little trash... and they had no idea their team was even in the postseason. Now they are regularly a top 25, if not higher, team. There are 8 SEC teams in the current top 25 and often it's more than that. My personal opinion is that they are swimming in so much cash that they were like "well, we upgraded the football stadium for the fourth time in the last 10 years.... the basketball arena is top-notch... what's next to spend this money on?.... hmmm, well, I guess we might as well make our baseball facilities the same caliber...." I mean, I don't ever remember Mississippi State being *that much* of a college baseball power in the past 20 years, but they just put $68 million - $68 MILLION - into their baseball stadium. Think about that. How in the hell do we compete with that? How do we recruit against that, how do we hire better coaches against that?

There are always going to be "baseball schools" - schools which might or might not have a D1 basketball team and certainly DO NOT have a FBS football team (think Cal St. Fullerton and the like) and there are going to be G5 "flash in the pans" who will get good for a year or two here or there with a hot coach and the right lucky mix of some good hitters and the right combo of pitchers who turn out to be really good (see: Tulane under Pierce). But the coach will get poached for money (they are now getting what wasn't even on the table for football coaches 25 years ago), and the players are getting harder and harder to come by. In general, it's not sustainable for non-P5 schools any more; it's going to be flash-in-the-pan successes interspersed with a lot of what we are seeing now. Remember how dominant Rice was a decade or two ago? They got out-moneyed just like we did. It's not just Tulane.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:43 pm
visualmagic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:26 pm I think it’s sort of a false choice to say that we have to ignore one of these sports. We can try to succeed in all of them.
You writing the check?

It's not hard to see the problem when you look at the TV contracts of the P5 conferences. The rich are getting richer and it's not close. We got a nice new AAC contract that puts us clearly in front of the G5 but we are so far from the P5s it's not even close. Someone said above that in 2005 baseball wasn't a priority for SEC schools like it is now - that is absolutely true. I lived in Alabama from 97-04 and never ONCE did I ever hear all of my Bama and Auburn co-workers mention their baseball teams. Not a single time. I remember when Bama made the regional against us in 05 and I emailed my old bosses to talk a little trash... and they had no idea their team was even in the postseason. Now they are regularly a top 25, if not higher, team. There are 8 SEC teams in the current top 25 and often it's more than that. My personal opinion is that they are swimming in so much cash that they were like "well, we upgraded the football stadium for the fourth time in the last 10 years.... the basketball arena is top-notch... what's next to spend this money on?.... hmmm, well, I guess we might as well make our baseball facilities the same caliber...." I mean, I don't ever remember Mississippi State being *that much* of a college baseball power in the past 20 years, but they just put $68 million - $68 MILLION - into their baseball stadium. Think about that. How in the hell do we compete with that? How do we recruit against that, how do we hire better coaches against that?

There are always going to be "baseball schools" - schools which might or might not have a D1 basketball team and certainly DO NOT have a FBS football team (think Cal St. Fullerton and the like) and there are going to be G5 "flash in the pans" who will get good for a year or two here or there with a hot coach and the right lucky mix of some good hitters and the right combo of pitchers who turn out to be really good (see: Tulane under Pierce). But the coach will get poached for money (they are now getting what wasn't even on the table for football coaches 25 years ago), and the players are getting harder and harder to come by. In general, it's not sustainable for non-P5 schools any more; it's going to be flash-in-the-pan successes interspersed with a lot of what we are seeing now. Remember how dominant Rice was a decade or two ago? They got out-moneyed just like we did. It's not just Tulane.

We should just drop all the programs then. We suck at all of them and we don’t have the money to improve, let’s just quit.
tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

You writing the check?

Pete, you underestimate baseball success at Tulane. We have a Top 30 stadium and I have been to a lot of them. There are a ton of good baseball players. We now use stacking. We are typically a Top 3-5 conference in the RPI. The missing ingredient is you know what. And when Jones was here, the staff was paid handsomely.

Basketball is a larger hill to climb with the gym. But it has been done in the past. You need a Perry Clark. Though tough to find, they are out there. Just ask Gonzaga, Butler, Creighton, Loyola Chicago, St. Mary’s, Nevada, San Diego St., etc. I am not saying it is tough, but it can be done.

I will never give up on any sport. There is always hope, and G5 schools prove it all the time. Especially in baseball.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:52 pm
You writing the check?

We should just drop all the programs then. We suck at all of them and we don’t have the money to improve, let’s just quit.
Didn't say that at all. There are numerous reasons to have teams regardless of what I say above. Do you think when I came to Tulane to start up a program from scratch it was because we were going to contend for a natty right away? You play for your league championships and hope to improve enough to go even farther. Are you saying you legitimately, taking off the green glasses, think we could get to the point of competing with Bama, Clemson, and OSU in football under Willie Fritz? Doubtful... but that doesn't mean you kill the football program.

At this point all everyone is doing is trying to improve their football programs to the point that they look attractive to the P5s the next time there's a realignment. As we learned a few years ago, we have a lot to offer as long as our football is respectable, but unfortunately that's all BS school president posturing and the decisions are made by ESPN and purely based on on-field performance. In that respect we still have some work to do.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:43 pm Remember how dominant Rice was a decade or two ago? They got out-moneyed just like we did. It's not just Tulane.
Maybe there are other factors at play? Like there all-time great coach just getting too old to do the job any more and sticking around for too long.
Marathon Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Marathon Wave »

You writing the check?

Now you're just being childish...so I know you're not serious. We all know we can be good in all three. We've had top baseball teams for a very long time under Jones. During some of that time, Ned Fowler and Perry Clark provided quality basketball program - NIT (Final Four) and a few NCAA appearances. Football had always been the sport to drag us down. Now, we've been to three bowl games in a row, and not satisfied with that. Athletics looking good for ol' Tulane. Just gotta get a baseball coach. I feel Hunter can get us where we need to be.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Marathon Wave wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:55 pm
You writing the check?

Now you're just being childish...so I know you're not serious. We all know we can be good in all three. We've had top baseball teams for a very long time under Jones. During some of that time, Ned Fowler and Perry Clark provided quality basketball program - NIT (Final Four) and a few NCAA appearances. Football had always been the sport to drag us down. Now, we've been to three bowl games in a row, and not satisfied with that. Athletics looking good for ol' Tulane. Just gotta get a baseball coach. I feel Hunter can get us where we need to be.
You’re right, I’m not being serious. No need to drop all the programs, just drop baseball if we’re not going to try to win. Put all the resources into football and maybe we can jump up to an occasional 8 win season instead of just 6 and 7