Southeastern LA game

Join other Green Wave fans to follow the games together in attom's Living Room and to report game scores. BYOB
(Use this forum for in-game updates and scores for ALL games for ALL teams, not just Tulane)
waverider
Emerald Circle

Re: Southeastern LA game

Post by waverider »

I too was willing to give Jewett a chance thinking that lack of talent was the issue. He hasn’t been able to improve that even if he did improve hitting a little.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:31 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:19 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:18 pm We have what? 2 regionals in the last 10 years?
Yep, both under pierce. God I hate Texas for taking him. I know I was pro Jewett early and even defended him relative to Pierce. But fellas, I was wrong wrong wrong.
Unless scholarship rules change I think this is what to expect regardless of who the coach is. Hard to tell a top rated kid to pay $60k a year to play baseball. When Jones was here we had loose transfer rules and the sec wasn’t putting as much of an emphasis on baseball like they do now.
Explain how David Pierce went 2/2 making regionals then.
A really good coach will have us there more often than not
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:43 pm
waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:40 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:39 pm Didnt a scholly rule just change? I remember BA saying it would help schools like tulane
From what I understand there hasn’t been much academic money allocated to baseball
That needs to change. TD hasn't seemed like a big baseball proponent. This is a chance to noticeably improve things by getting that shifted. We are talking about a few kids each year. Shouldn't be a heavy lift
He doesn’t like the attention baseball gets/was getting over football, and basketball. he would much rather have a good football or basketball team, and doesn’t care about going to Omaha.. what do you expect from Iowa..
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Is KInzler their ace? Our guys are batting below .100 against him.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Roller wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:54 pm Is KInzler their ace? Our guys are batting below .100 against him.
Can't be. He hardly has any appearances prior to this. But I bet he challenges for the weekend rotation at some point. Wish we had him
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

noladave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:51 pm
Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:39 pm Didnt a scholly rule just change? I remember BA saying it would help schools like tulane
From what I understand there hasn’t been much academic money allocated to baseball
That needs to change. TD hasn't seemed like a big baseball proponent. This is a chance to noticeably improve things by getting that shifted. We are talking about a few kids each year. Shouldn't be a heavy lift
He doesn’t like the attention baseball gets/was getting over football, and basketball. he would much rather have a good football or basketball team, and doesn’t care about going to Omaha.. what do you expect from Iowa..
The next time he delivers us a good basketball or football team will be the 1st. Basketball program is embarrassing.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

anybody know his pitch count?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Basketball and football Are much more important. I really like baseball but the other sports improve visibility amongst alumni that baseball never will
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

noladave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 pm anybody know his pitch count?
Can't find it on the stats page, but I heard Gus say 87 a couple batters ago.

AND WE GET A SCORE!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Roller wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:01 pm
noladave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 pm anybody know his pitch count?
Can't find it on the stats page, but I heard Gus say 87 a couple batters ago.

AND WE GET A SCORE!
And a new pitcher! Phew!
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Over 94 for sure. Making a change. Wonder what would've happened if we'd have hired Riser instead of jewett
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Is riser still their coach? He was a hot name a fee years back
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:59 pm Basketball and football Are much more important. I really like baseball but the other sports improve visibility amongst alumni that baseball never will
They are, especially football, but the caveat for basketball is you have to actually improve and make the tournament for visibility to go up. At this point if football is going right, I'd be just as happy with baseball being good again.

Also you could win a national title in baseball at a school like Tulane. It's unlikely but possible. Not so in basketball.
Last edited by tulaneoutlaw on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:05 pm Is riser still their coach? He was a hot name a fee years back
Yep. At least according to the broadcast
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 pm Over 94 for sure. Making a change. Wonder what would've happened if we'd have hired Riser instead of jewett
Riser and Deggs > Jewett
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Yankeewave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:59 pm Basketball and football Are much more important. I really like baseball but the other sports improve visibility amongst alumni that baseball never will
financially, yes. but if you have a winning product, ride it, until you can right the other two.

btw, how many basketball coaches have we had? what was their success?
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

I had season tickets to baseball for years, but I’d take top 25 in football and basketball over going to regionals any day.
Turned on Gus and the idiot for an inning. I rather watch the stream in silence.

Btw, what’s more impressive. McNeese pitcher recording 19 Ks against Prairie View or SLU freshman recording 13Ks against us?
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

tulaneoutlaw
President's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:08 pm
I had season tickets to baseball for years, but I’d take top 25 in football and basketball over going to regionals any day.
Turned on Gus and the idiot for an inning. I rather watch the stream in silence.

Btw, what’s more impressive. McNeese pitcher recording 19 Ks against Prairie View or SLU freshman recording 13Ks against us?
Probably 13 ks vs us. As I said above I think most would, but the struggle in basketball for decades at this point makes me wonder if that's even possible
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

noladave wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:08 pm
financially, yes. but if you have a winning product, ride it, until you can right the other two.

btw, how many basketball coaches have we had? what was their success?
I didnt say we have been successful, i just understand baseball being last in the pecking order
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Nobody would ever argue otherwise. Whatever Dannen is doing to improve the basketball program, it’s failing miserably. Another thing, I don’t believe baseball needs to be ignored for us to see improvement in football and basketball.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Silence is definitely Better.

Making regionals in baseball is realistic, top 25 in basketball and football doesn’t appear to be.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:12 pm
Nobody would ever argue otherwise. Whatever Dannen is doing to improve the basketball program, it’s failing miserably. Another thing, I don’t believe baseball needs to be ignored for us to see improvement in football and basketball.
this 👆
waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:14 pm

Silence is definitely Better.

Making regionals in baseball is realistic, top 25 in basketball and football doesn’t appear to be.
That’s true, and I agree that baseball doesn’t have to be ignored to better the other two, but if I’m AD, I’m putting all my resources into those two, with football being the priority. That one has a better chance than basketball at this point. Dannen has said that his job is tied to football success so I expect that to be his focus.

Heck, even Cowen recognized that people identify a college by how good their football team is. He just didn’t have interest in making that true at Tulane.
Tulane Greenbackers

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Football is also the only way u to the Big 12, even if its a pipe dream
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I think it’s sort of a false choice to say that we have to ignore one of these sports. We can try to succeed in all of them.