The attom/gw Memorial Scoreboard (John McCutchen 1924-2005)

Join other Green Wave fans to follow the games together in attom's Living Room and to report game scores. BYOB
(Use this forum for in-game updates and scores for ALL games for ALL teams, not just Tulane)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Can't help but believe that with John's alma mater (Tulane) playing the alma mater of several of his family (Rice) this weekend, he will be smiling down on the stadium. Of course, he will be secretly pulling for the Wave.

Hope the memorial on Thursday will be everything John would have wanted.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
attomjr
Trainer

Post by attomjr »

TUPF wrote:Can't help but believe that with John's alma mater (Tulane) playing the alma mater of several of his family (Rice) this weekend, he will be smiling down on the stadium. Of course, he will be secretly pulling for the Wave.

Hope the memorial on Thursday will be everything John would have wanted.
We'll try to make it (the memorial not the game) everything he would have wanted. Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts.

Louis
Rice '76
GreenWing T
Junior

What A Man!

Post by GreenWing T »

I only learned about the lose of my dear friend yesterday. I only knew Mr McCutchen for the last 4/5 years but we became good friends. I think everone that ever met him became his dear friend, what a man, WHAT A MAN! I will always miss you John, ride the "Green Wave" in calm waters and Godspeed. I love you John.

Buck Tarver
ROLL ON GREEN WAVE-ROLL ON!!!!!!!!!
attomjr
Trainer

Thanks for the dedication folks!

Post by attomjr »

Being a Rice Owl grad and baseball fan (the only Rice sport worth following these days), I don't usually find myself over on a Tulane sports board. Tonight I came over to see if Aja Barto had gotten untracked yet for the Wave. (His former high school coach is both a good friend and my 11 year old son's pitching coach). I gather he hit a home run tonight which is great. Aja is a fine young man who also happens to be a very skilled baseball player.

For the first time I noticed the dedication of your scoreboard topic to my Dad and I'm truly touched. He's been gone for 3 months now but hardly a day goes by without my feeling there is a hole in my life that will never be filled.

Thanks for the tribute to him. I know he's up there just beaming with pride at having this dedication in his memory.

Louis McCutchen aka attomjr
John McCutchen '73
Rookie

Thank You!!!

Post by John McCutchen '73 »

Yea..same name and the apple don't fall far from the tree.

I am John 3 - the Eldest Son - Beta and graduate Class of 1973. My brother just told me about this and I - we- are deeply touched and most grateful

Thank you...dad would have pee'ed

ROLL GREEN WAVE!
Class of 1973
A&S
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Believe me, your Dad's soul and the soul of this board are like conjoined twins. There is not a regular poster here who does not have fond memories of their interactions with your Dad, whether it was to argue, to commiserate, or to celebrate together.

For my part, I enjoyed many e-mail discussions with him, and it was refreshing to both give and receive advice from someone who personified the meaning of Friendship.

Many of us miss him every day, and I regret that we could not erect a greater memorial to his honor. But this humble board means a lot to us, and it's namesake is a part of the reason we treasure it.

Thanks for visiting, and please return often. If you carry even just a smidgen of the spirit and wisdom of attom, we welcome you thoughts.
attomjr
Trainer

A Christmas Story for YOGWF members

Post by attomjr »

Those of you who knew my father, at least electronically, will appreciate this story. Perhaps I should post it on a new thread, but hopefully it will get spotted on this thread where it belongs.

In July of this year I received an e-mail from a lady I'd never met in Fort Worth, Texas:
A couple of months ago I ordered an old picture frame off of Ebay for an antique print that I was framing. When I got the frame it contained a picture of a very young boy. When I took it apart (to put my picture in) there was an inserted piece of cardboard that said: Christmas 1926 John Chapman McCutchen II Two years and three months old. I put it on the shelf in my office with the intentions of trying to get it back to the family it belonged to, and then promptly forgot about it! I pulled the picture off the shelf today and started looking on the internet for matches. The longer I looked, the more determined I was! I finally "stumbled" upon the email you had sent Tulane about your father
Today I received the picture from the dear lady who took the time to hunt me down and give me the picture.

Somehow the combination of using the Internet to find the children of a person in a picture from 1926, and finding the necessary information on a Tulane web board, sums up my father's life.

Hope everyone in Tulaneland has a truly blessed Christmas. And of course finds the time to go cheer on my Owls in their 1st bowl game in 45 years.

Louis McCutchen
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Wonderful, attomjr, just wonderful!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Native Georgian
President's Circle

Post by Native Georgian »

:thumbsup:
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Amazing story!
Lady Wave
President's Circle

Post by Lady Wave »

Wow. What a great present for you and your family this Christmas!
bigmoneytx

Re: The attom/gw Memorial Scoreboard (John McCutchen 1924-20

Post by bigmoneytx »

Happy Birthday Mr. John, RIP