The attom/gw Memorial Scoreboard (John McCutchen 1924-2005)

Join other Green Wave fans to follow the games together in attom's Living Room and to report game scores. BYOB
(Use this forum for in-game updates and scores for ALL games for ALL teams, not just Tulane)
FW
Cornerstone

The attom/gw Memorial Scoreboard (John McCutchen 1924-2005)

Post by FW »

This Scoreboard is dedicated to the memory and spirit of John (attom/gw) McCutchen, Proud Husband, Father, Grandfather, Greenie and a founder of the Tulane "Lunatic Fringe".

He was a magnificent defender of right over wrong and a extraordinary fan, supporter and alumnus of Tulane University.

A Thoroughly Thuggish Old Man was his moniker and he lived it everyday on YOGWF.

attom/gw we salute you and miss you...

ROLL WAVE!

John Chapman McCutchen II

McCutchen II, John Chapman John Chapman McCutchen II died at 10:45 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 2, 2005, in Missouri City, Texas. He was 81 and a native of California. He was a building materials retailer and a U.S. Navy veteran with the rank of lieutenant. Visitation at St. Paul's Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, New Roads, on Monday, Nov. 7, from 9 a.m. until religious service at 11 a.m., conducted by the Rev. Miller Armstrong. Entombment in False River Mausoleum. A memorial Eucharist service will be held at Church of the Epiphany, Houston, on Thursday, Nov. 10. He is survived by sons, John C. McCutchen III, San Francisco, Louis M. McCutchen, Missouri City; daughter-in-law, Elise McCutchen; and grandsons, Alexander and Sean McCutchen. He was preceded in death by his wife, Elizabeth Pourciau McCutchen; and his parents, John Chapman McCutchen and Carvelle Mercer McCutchen. Pallbearers will be Miles Brashier, Jeff David, John King, Major Hebert, David Quinn and Jim Laurent. He was a member of the Episcopal faith, the American Legion and the Democratic Party. Niland's Funeral Services, New Roads, is in charge of arrangements.
Published in The Advocate on 11/6/2005.

http://www.legacy.com/theadvocate/Legac ... d=15591792

Guestbook at the above web page.

From Noladave

From FW:
His son emailed this morning. He wanted me to post this and forward this information:

Funeral arrangements are still tentative but our current plans are for him to be buried in New Roads, La on Monday with a memorial service in Houston next Thursday. Anyone is welcome to contact me for further details. My e-mail address is louis_mccutchen@isdhouston.com.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Crushing.

mGrhs
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Rest In Peace - John.
Last edited by sr on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jax Wave

Attom

Post by Jax Wave »

Whay a loss. Having never met him, I still could surmise his class from his posts. I hope he was able to read our posts over the last week and it gave him some comfort in his last days. RIP Attom, you will be greatly missed. We will continue to pray for him and his loved ones.
RAT
Navigator Level

Post by RAT »

Rest in peace Mr. John.
I will miss.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

John was a great man. Back in 2003, he, JtS, and I had some phenomenal conversations about growing up in Southern Louisiana and attending Tulane through three different generations. John's contributions to civil rights and to overall social reform both in South Louisiana and elsewhere have been, are, and will always be greatly appreciated.

The thing that saddens me the most is that JtS and I kept urging him to write some of his stories down for future generations to read, but none of us were able to do so. One memory that sticks out the most is the three of us in the hotel restaurant just talking, telling stories, listening to each other, and realizing what a special moment it was that we were sharing.

I'm going to miss you, John. In fact I already do.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Lady Wave
President's Circle

Post by Lady Wave »

John was a man of great faith, and this faith helped him greatly through the last few weeks. It's comforting to know that his pain has been eased, and he is finally going to be able to see his beloved wife Betty again. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with his family. It was a privilege to meet them, especially his two grandsons of whom John was so proud.

YOGWF won't be the same without you, attom.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

He will be missed by all, Godspeed John
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Will miss him greatly

Post by AO Sig »

He has fought the good fight, he has finished is work.

My prayers go out to his family; his spirit and demeanor serves as a model of how all of us should behave.
long green
Cornerstone

met him during that review business

Post by long green »

he was a real gentleman.

and know I hear from some of these other posts that he was a loyal Democrat. Now I really miss him.
Last edited by long green on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Metry Wave
Breaker Level

I also remember...

Post by Metry Wave »

meeting John briefly at the Bruno's party on June 10, 2003. I shook his hand and said a quick hello. You will be missed, John. God bless you! My prayers are with you and your family. Roll Wave...into the next life!
Proud to be a Dome regular, a Fogelman fanatic, and a Turchin junkie!
STLWave
Breaker Level

Post by STLWave »

Having met Attom on YOGWF and having some email contact with him, but never meeting him in person, I can still attest to John's class and his love for Tulane. He was a Greenie through and through and will truly be missed.

RIP Attom.
wave'm in
Navigator Level

So many reasons for me to like him

Post by wave'm in »

He was a Vetran, great Greenie, great Democrat, and I'm sure a great Father and husband. Do we send flowers or make donations to the athletic fund?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Does anyone have a pic of John that they could post? I would like to put a face with the name. And I'm sure that many here (possibly including myself) might recognize him, even if they did not meet him.

RIP, John.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

Pete,

Check Lady Wave's post on Attom just below this one. There is a recent picture of John and the 3 ladies. He was a great man and a great green wave fan. RIP, John.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:Does anyone have a pic of John that they could post? I would like to put a face with the name. And I'm sure that many here (possibly including myself) might recognize him, even if they did not meet him.

RIP, John.
Click the picture to enlarge it.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Rest in Peace, John.

Your contributions will never be forgotten.
Coach Mac
Breaker Level

You will be missed John

Post by Coach Mac »

The olive and blue is at half staff.
jturner
Breaker Level

Goodbye John

Post by jturner »

You will be sorely missed.

Godspeed.
JT
TG
Navigator Level

RIP attom...

Post by TG »

Met him in '03 at Brunos...Condolences to his family.
"This one belongs to the Wave"
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Even though I never actually met John...

Post by Fan Since '54 »

...I always felt like I knew him. Great Greenie, better man. He'll be missed.

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
APanther
Breaker Level

Post by APanther »

Seems like a real good guy. In May, when I had mentioned on here that I had just graduated Tulane, he sent me a really nice e-mail congratulating me:
60 yrs ago, having resided in Doris Hall, Warren House and Fogelman, after small ceremony in Newcomb auditorium, I climbed aboard a streetcar, rode to the L&N station then at foot of Canal, to catch a train to the Pacific, and more importantly in the long run, began life as a TU alum and supporter. May your future be bright prosperous and long lasting, but no matter what, always support Tulane with pride and dignity. Hope this milestone is not the end of your YOGWF postings.

ROLL WAVE

John McCutchen
aka attom
He will be missed.
"I got a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"
Jax Wave

Wow, AP.

Post by Jax Wave »

That note sure choked me up. Thanks for sharing it.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

It is always tough to pass condolences to a grieving family without sounding trite, but I sent a brief note to John's son this afternoon and received the following reply. I don't think Louis would mind if I shared it with YOGWF.
Thanks for your kind words.

My Dad just lived for his interactions on the various web boards. Occasionally he would tell me a story about someone on the board but for the most part, I never knew much about them. In the last few days of my father's illness and death where I've taken on the task of notifying his friends, I've come to see how many special relationships he had developed over the years. I'm grateful for them because I know that it gave him the energy to keep going in the twilight years of his life.

Louis
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium