I'm just gonna leave this here...

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Unread post by PeteRasche »

"A Louisiana Expert Reveals The Only Meal You Should Actually Eat At Popeye's"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... li=BBnb7Kz

Gratuitous clickbait. But such poor clickbait that the headline doesn't even match the story, which goes a completely different direction.
:jerry: :jerry: :jerry:
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: I'm just gonna leave this here...

Unread post by doncecco »

No onion rings at Popeyes up here. Why not, I ask, why not!!!?!?! :cry:
Bring home da Wave!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

We had a Popeye's open here in Kingsport about two years ago; unfortunately, closed a couple of months ago. No Onion rings, that I recall.

Now the two closest are in Johnson City (Outlaw probably is on a first-name basis with them :wink: ) and Sevierville, Tennessee.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Pretty confident onion rings are louisiana exclusive. i know they used to be
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:Pretty confident onion rings are louisiana exclusive. i know they used to be
There are corperate owned Popeyes and franchised Popeyes. They offer different menus and I also find the corperate owned ones are better run and offer more.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
doncecco
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:Pretty confident onion rings are louisiana exclusive. i know they used to be
Which is silly. You'd understand cajun rice or even red beans, maybe. But onion rings, which are on every menu of every non-white-table cloth restaurant in the US, but not at Popeyes outside Louisiana?
Bring home da Wave!
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Back in the day, my favorite Popeye's meal was chicken tacos and onion rings.
doncecco
President's Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:Back in the day, my favorite Popeye's meal was chicken tacos and onion rings.
Only Super Popeyes on Vets had the tacos, right? They were excellent.

Super Popeyes may have been one of the most under the radar great places to get a quick, solid meal ever. I never understood why Al didn't expand on the concept.
Bring home da Wave!
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

doncecco wrote:Only Super Popeyes on Vets had the tacos, right?
I got them at the store on St. Claude. (I'm not sure if it's even still there.) I think that I got them on Carrollton as well. We're talking about a long time ago though.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

I can confidently tell you that you are wrong... they have onion rings in Charlotte and they are freakin' awesome.. they drop them when you order so they are always hot.. my favorite kind of O rings too.. with the flaky flour batter, no bread crumbs
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Ill have to do an onion rings recon here in Ocean City, MD’s Popeye’s.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote:
I can confidently tell you that you are wrong... they have onion rings in Charlotte and they are freakin' awesome.. they drop them when you order so they are always hot.. my favorite kind of O rings too.. with the flaky flour batter, no bread crumbs
The fact that they're always made to order is a key part of their awesomeness (which is both real and substantial).
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

PSA: A member of my mardi gras krewe owns a couple of popeyes. I just emailed him and he said that they lifted the restriction on selling onion rings out of state about 5 or 6 years ago, but that he thinks they are still "less common" out of state
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:PSA: A member of my mardi gras krewe owns a couple of popeyes. I just emailed him and he said that they lifted the restriction on selling onion rings out of state about 5 or 6 years ago, but that he thinks they are still "less common" out of state
I am fully in favor of that restriction being lifted.. my daughter even loves their O rings. We both get the $5 box.. she gets double O rings and I get O rings and RB&R. The closest Popeye's in Charlotte is down the road from the hockey rink we play at.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

They stopped making the good onion rings a few years ago for two reasons: 1-(the biggest factor, at least for the ones in the Lake Charles area*) is that the onion rings take time to prep (even the new prebattered ones). Individual stores are graded on ticket times. Because onion rings often added a couple minutes to orders, stores were getting bad scores for taking too long from order time to time the food was served.

2- the original rings were hand battered at each location. In an attempt to cut costs, managers/owners got rid of the onion ring batterers that they had to pay to batter the rings.

*I audit the 401k plan of a company that owns several Popeyes and Church's in the LC area. Their locations (at least not all of them if any) don't serve onion rings but they keep some at a couple locations for the owners to enjoy!
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:They stopped making the good onion rings a few years ago for two reasons: 1-(the biggest factor, at least for the ones in the Lake Charles area*) is that the onion rings take time to prep (even the new prebattered ones). Individual stores are graded on ticket times. Because onion rings often added a couple minutes to orders, stores were getting bad scores for taking too long from order time to time the food was served.

2- the original rings were hand battered at each location. In an attempt to cut costs, managers/owners got rid of the onion ring batterers that they had to pay to batter the rings.

*I audit the 401k plan of a company that owns several Popeyes and Church's in the LC area. Their locations (at least not all of them if any) don't serve onion rings but they keep some at a couple locations for the owners to enjoy!
we went there last week and the kid said "onion rings are going to take a few minutes" to let us know if we wanted to change our order... I said "no problem" pulled into a parking spot and waited three minutes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Too bad about very few locations serving the spicy battered fried onion rings any more. They were sublime when first introduced 40+ years ago. Awesomely unique.