Loyola’s New Prez: first woman, non jesuit

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Loyola’s New Prez: first woman, non jesuit

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Loyola’s New Prez: first woman, non jesuit

Post by Baywave1 »

This shows you how much the Picayune has declined. Loyola "gave" this story to Advocate and announced it on a Friday night about 9:30pm. (Separate note but from a PR point that is almost bizarre timing for a hire that was not under some external deadline. Friday evening is when bad news is typically released effectively to bury it.)

Meanwhile there is still no mention of this on Picayune website. I guess there will be a story in the Sunday paper. This is simply another indicator that it is now mostly irrelevant whether TP covers Tulane sports or not. I now sort of think it like Gambit (which ironically of course is now owned by Georges/ Advocate.)

ADDENDUM: About 45 minutes after I posted above, TP added story about this to its website. It's simply a regurgitation of Loyola press release from last night. So in short, no real journalism on this from TP. I guess it figured story was big enough that it had to put up something quickly. Maybe I'm just too sentimental about what TP used to be decades ago but I guess it is true that even Gambit now does better reporting than TP.

http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... leans_news

Anyway congrats to Tulane exec for winning this position.
Last edited by Baywave1 on Sat May 19, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Baywave1 wrote:(Separate note but from a PR point that is almost bizarre timing for a hire that was not under some external deadline. Friday evening is when bad news is typically released effectively to bury it.)
Probably because it is pathetic capitulation to the PC nonsense of the world. It is a JESUIT University so a priest should be running it.

Side note mo clue why Prof is posting about a school located in Baltimore on here
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

No one really talking about the Tulane angle on all of this, her leaving opens up another HUGE search. At the same time we are replacing the dean of SLA, the dean mcclaren replacement, recently replaced deans of engineering and architecture, recently replaced the provost, etc

Also, I only just now realized that her father was a jesuit priest (before he gave up his priesthood to have a wife and family)
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote:No one really talking about the Tulane angle on all of this, her leaving opens up another HUGE search. At the same time we are replacing the dean of SLA, the dean mcclaren replacement, recently replaced deans of engineering and architecture, recently replaced the provost, etc

Also, I only just now realized that her father was a jesuit priest (before he gave up his priesthood to have a wife and family)
Uncle is currently a jesuit priest, as well. She has about as close of Jesuit ties as you can have in a layperson.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

And her sister is the sometimes bass player for the carcass of Cowboy Mouth that is still dragging itself around the southeast.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

LawGreenie wrote:And her sister is the sometimes bass player for the carcass of Cowboy Mouth that is still dragging itself around the southeast.
Which explains why we had them at Homecoming like 3 years in a row
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:
LawGreenie wrote:And her sister is the sometimes bass player for the carcass of Cowboy Mouth that is still dragging itself around the southeast.
Which explains why we had them at Homecoming like 3 years in a row
That and they are awesome
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

windywave wrote: That and they are awesome
No point in debating their awesom-ness, some like them some don't. But one thing that most everyone I talked to agreed upon:

1) they weren't a good fit for homecoming
2) they are more interested in saying "the name of the band is..." a 1000 times than actually playing a song
3) having the same band year after year is silly unless its a band that's universally loved on campus
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:
3) having the same band year after year is silly unless its a band that's universally loved on campus
False. Homecoming is for the alumni
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
If that’s the case, since I am coming back in November for my 40th reunion (yikes!), the Neville Brothers, please. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
If that’s the case, since I am coming back in November for my 40th reunion (yikes!), the Neville Brothers, please. 8)
On it
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
On it
It’s so incredible to think they played in the Rat sometimes.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
On it
Ummmm...that may involve necromancy....
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
On it
Ummmm...that may involve necromancy....
Living dead... New Orleans... Voodoo... still on it
#cousins don't count
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

i am guessing they think this will help with fundraising. lots of Orders, not necessarily the Jesuits, are horrid with finances.