Summer Libations

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
windywave
Emerald Circle

Summer Libations

Post by windywave »

I will write voluminously on this if there's interested parties, but my observation for tonight is Fever Tree tonic in a G&T is well worth the money
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Summer Libations

Post by windywave »

Pastis... 4 parts cold spring water to 1 of liquor along with ice.... perfect for a beautiful summer evening
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Never could stomach pastis, even though I like most of its anise-based cousins: Italian Sambuca, Turkish raki, even Greek ouzo.

I’m a summer traditionalist: Tanqueray gin and Schweppes tonic. Also if I’m real thirsty, an Aperol spritzer.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I started drinking 4 shots dark rum with a shot of Disorrono (any amaretto would do) and a splash of sweet tea (or coke).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

waverider wrote:I started drinking 4 shots dark rum with a shot of Disorrono (any amaretto would do) and a splash of sweet tea (or coke).
I think I’d go into a diabetic seizure.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

A few years ago we discovered something called Firefly, a sweet tea-infused vodka. We mixed it with Simply Lemonade to make an alcoholic Arnold Palmer.... Which we naturally dubbed a "John Daly". :lol: :lol: Man, it goes down waaaaay too easily.

Sadly, a month or so ago, I discovered (in the discount clearance row of the beer section of this awesome local grocery) that Mr. Daly himself has licensed a canned concoction of alcoholic tea/lemonade mixture, a "flavored malt beverage" that likely is disgusting (hence it being unknown and in the clearance area). So I guess we weren't so clever after all. :( 8)

Wanna try something that sounds absolutely gross but is shockingly delicious? Captain Morgan and Crystal Light Lemonade (yeah, the stuff made from the powdered mix). Don't ask how I discovered it... But I took a batch of it to a pool party, got nothing but curled lips and squinched noses ("ewwww!") at the mention, but unanimously got wide-eyed "wow, that's really good!" from those brave enough to try it.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Never could stomach pastis, even though I like most of its anise-based cousins: Italian Sambuca, Turkish raki, even Greek ouzo.

I’m a summer traditionalist: Tanqueray gin and Schweppes tonic. Also if I’m real thirsty, an Aperol spritzer.
Imperial India would not recognize Schweppes. Try Fever Tree, completely different drink.

Negroni?
Last edited by windywave on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:I started drinking 4 shots dark rum with a shot of Disorrono (any amaretto would do) and a splash of sweet tea (or coke).
Jeezus
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Never could stomach pastis, even though I like most of its anise-based cousins: Italian Sambuca, Turkish raki, even Greek ouzo.

Imperial India would not recognize Schweppes. Try Fever Tree, completely different drink.

Negroni?
Yup, big negroni fan. Now that my daughter makes frequent trips through the EU I ask her to always pick up a liter of Campari for me because it’s one of those few remaining duty free baragains.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Negroni?
Yup, big negroni fan. Now that my daughter makes frequent trips through the EU I ask her to always pick up a liter of Campari for me because it’s one of those few remaining duty free baragains.
A) just 1L?
B) Come over I'll feed them to you for free
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

frick hipster beer free night and you know what they were all good. HOPS SUCK! HOPS ARE THE CRUTCH OF doody BEER MAKERS AND THEY USE HOPS TO COVER THEIR CRAPPY SKILLS
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

After beer having a pastis. Were you doing it right? Such a good drink
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I saw a recipe for a poolside "boat drink," that I plan to try soon. Watermelon rum punch. Take off one end of a watermelon, hollow out the contents and run through a blender, strain out particulate matter, add simple syrup, lime and lots of rum, put back in the watermelon.

While I am a believer in ice cold beer in the summer, I have to admit that I enjoy a pina colada when beachside. Think Garth Brooks
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote:While I am a believer in ice cold beer in the summer, I have to admit that I enjoy a pina colada when beachside. Think Garth Brooks
Um... Jimmy Buffett?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:While I am a believer in ice cold beer in the summer, I have to admit that I enjoy a pina colada when beachside. Think Garth Brooks
Um... Jimmy Buffett?
Or Rupert Holmes. Jimmy Buffett is margaritas. At least Garth sings a song about piña coladas.

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Um... Jimmy Buffett?
Or Rupert Holmes. Jimmy Buffett is margaritas. At least Garth sings a song about piña coladas.

He also sang "Boat Drinks," and I think that a pina colada will fit in there.

To be honest, since I spent time in Guadalajara, I am usually disappointed with most U.S. Margaritas. They are usually too fruity and sweet. I will acknowledge having one in a Margaritaville, and thinking it was pretty good. Forget the frozen cr@p; has to be on the rocks, with salt clinging via lime juice to the rim.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:Wanna try something that sounds absolutely gross but is shockingly delicious? Captain Morgan and Crystal Light Lemonade (yeah, the stuff made from the powdered mix). Don't ask how I discovered it... But I took a batch of it to a pool party, got nothing but curled lips and squinched noses ("ewwww!") at the mention, but unanimously got wide-eyed "wow, that's really good!" from those brave enough to try it.
When we were undergrads, we actually used to do something very similar but with Great Bluedini Kool-Aid instead of lemonade. One wonders if that is a refinement of that original idea, born of "what do we have to get drunk with tonight"....
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

going to twist a little from the hard stuff and inject a beer comment... the wife and I hit the Asheville area Sierra Nevada brewery.. they had some great "not for public sale" beers on tap including a really nice IPL (hoppy but not bitter).. my wife had a limited time Forbidden Tripel which they used black rice and hibiscus.. but the best part was the food. It was outrageously good. The atmosphere there is fantastic.. they made a really nice outdoor area which is built around the vegetable and herb gardens for the kitchen... bocce, cornhole, a stage for live music.. really nice... if you're ever in Asheville, it's about a $30 Uber ride from downtown to the brewery (right next to Asheville airport)
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Johnny Mac wrote:going to twist a little from the hard stuff and inject a beer comment... the wife and I hit the Asheville area Sierra Nevada brewery.. they had some great "not for public sale" beers on tap including a really nice IPL (hoppy but not bitter).. my wife had a limited time Forbidden Tripel which they used black rice and hibiscus.. but the best part was the food. It was outrageously good. The atmosphere there is fantastic.. they made a really nice outdoor area which is built around the vegetable and herb gardens for the kitchen... bocce, cornhole, a stage for live music.. really nice... if you're ever in Asheville, it's about a $30 Uber ride from downtown to the brewery (right next to Asheville airport)
Some of my friends have told me that Asheville is quickly becoming one of the biggests microbrew places. They were even in the running for location for a Coors brewery because of the water sources found in the Southern Appalachians.

Are you a "Yee Haw" afficionado? I can picture you hanging out at their downtown JC location on a Friday afternoon!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

We visited Asheville when my daughter was the featured soloist for the orchestra there and really loved the vibe. We spent fun times inside one of the nearby microbreweries. Our only slight quibble was that most kitchens closed around 9-ish, so getting something to eat after concerts was a problem. But then, most small town eateries do not keep city hours.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'll be there soon, myself. I recommend 5 Walnut, a downtown wine bar with cheese & snack options and live music most nights. It gets snug in there but it's a great place to meet & watch people.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wanna try something that sounds absolutely gross but is shockingly delicious? Captain Morgan and Crystal Light Lemonade (yeah, the stuff made from the powdered mix). Don't ask how I discovered it... But I took a batch of it to a pool party, got nothing but curled lips and squinched noses ("ewwww!") at the mention, but unanimously got wide-eyed "wow, that's really good!" from those brave enough to try it.
A few years ago on a beach trip I wanted something other than Diet Coke to mix rum with all day in the sun so I started using those Mio (or other brands) water flavorings and started mixing rum with those, trying different flavors (sweet tea is my favorite with rum). I still do that for summer and even for football tailgating when it’s hot.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

Checking to see if my avatar changed
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

YES !!!!!
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
A few years ago on a beach trip I wanted something other than Diet Coke to mix rum with all day in the sun so I started using those Mio (or other brands) water flavorings and started mixing rum with those, trying different flavors (sweet tea is my favorite with rum). I still do that for summer and even for football tailgating when it’s hot.
This whole post I hope is pink. Diet coke as a mixer? Mio? Egads!
#cousins don't count