1917...the movie

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

1917...the movie

Post by TUPF »

Anyone seen it yet? Impressions? If the Golden Globes are a harbinger it could be big. It’s not playing yet out here in rural Maryland but I’ll go see it when it does.

Full disclosure: the movie’s director, Sam Mendes, along with his wife Ali Balsam who is perhaps the best classical trumpeter around, were fun guests at my daughter’s wedding reception in London last month. I spent about 15 minutes talking with him. Could not be a nicer guy plus he told me my Dad speech to my daughter made him cry.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Re: 1917...the movie

Post by WaveProf »

Really cool story.

I'm hoping the movie is good because I like the topic, and because I've been rooting for Sam Mendes ever since American Beauty. But he hasn't really made anything worth watching since American Beauty, so I'm skeptical. Hopefully 1917 knocks it out of the park.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Is it based on real events? Is it just a knock-off of "Saving Private Ryan"?

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:Is it based on real events? Is it just a knock-off of "Saving Private Ryan"?

The amphibious landings during WWI were epic
Using big words is not a personal attack

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:Is it based on real events? Is it just a knock-off of "Saving Private Ryan"?

He told me it is based on a real story told to him by his grandfather, Alfred Mendes, when Sam was a boy. His grandpa fought in WWI.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Just received Oscar nominations for Best Director and Best Picture. Ten nominations total.

I really have to see it now.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

With full acknowledgment that trailers mean absolutely nothing... When the trailer for 1917 showed before Star Wars, everyone around me (as well as me) were sitting there at the end, jaw agape, wide-eyed, saying "holy crap." If the movie is as emotionally tense as the trailer... wow.

Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

We saw 1917 last night.
My bottom line: meh.
Lots of Deus ex Machina help for the protagonists along the way. The gun battle scenes were pretty much like in Star Wars--good guys make every shot count, while bad guys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside of the barn.
My wife's take was that it needs a lot of editing, because some scenes were too drawn out--to the point of being boring.
The ending left me thinking of Peggy Lee's song, "Is That All There Is?".

On the typical 1-5 rating scale, I'd be around 3.5-to-4. I'm an easy grader.

Entertaining enough to be worth seeing, but nothing special, IMO.

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

If it's the WWI version of Dunkirk, I'm on board. If it's the WWI version of Saving Private Ryan, I'm not. If it's the WWI version of Jarhead (which was directed by Mendes), I'll be running far, far away before it is half over
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:If it's the WWI version of Dunkirk, I'm on board. If it's the WWI version of Saving Private Ryan, I'm not. If it's the WWI version of Jarhead (which was directed by Mendes), I'll be running far, far away before it is half over

What about the WWI version of stripes?
Using big words is not a personal attack

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

I’d be down for a world war one version of stripes more than just about anything else, but if somebody told me they made a version of stripes that was supposed to feel like a single shot movie, I said they went and ruined stripes by trying to be all film theory about it.

Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:If it's the WWI version of Dunkirk, I'm on board. If it's the WWI version of Saving Private Ryan, I'm not. If it's the WWI version of Jarhead (which was directed by Mendes), I'll be running far, far away before it is half over

guess I can post this amateur review (done by Stilton Jarlesberg) that pretty much matches my take, in a much better -written fashion. (no spoilers)

"It's a very good film and we can easily recommend it - especially on the big screen - but it's also a bit of an odd duck (which is more of an observation than a complaint).

The key concept of the movie is simple: in World War I, two young British soldiers are given an extremely dangerous mission, which will see them crossing enemy lines, with only a short amount of time to accomplish it.

Interestingly, the film is (brilliantly) shot in a way that more or less makes the entire adventure into a single, uninterrupted shot with the mission occurring in real time. The upside of this is we get a guided tour of the Hell that was the battlefield, with an abundance of disturbing and frightening detail that reminds us "this is not where you want to be."

The downside of this approach is that the film can't and doesn't explore any deeper story, nor the inner lives of the main characters. Rather, we can only see what is external and happening "right now." We aren't so much an audience as omnipresent witnesses...viscerally feeling the horrors of war.

Our best advice is to accept the film for what it is - an experience as much as a narrative. Highly recommended!"