Treme

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Trifling Greenie
Breaker Level

Treme

Post by Trifling Greenie »

"I have only been here a few months, but I can say with certainty, that the most obnoxious thing about Baton Rouge, and trust me there are many candidates, is the LSU fans." - quote from Treme.

Said by a person in a Tulane sweatshirt, and therefore Tulane related ;)
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Re: Treme

Post by LSU Law Greenie »

Treme is a great show and I thought that line was hysterical. I actually laughed out loud! Loved with the girl at the house said "Roll Wave!" just after they watched the youtube video.
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!
Pelican Power
Navigator Level

Post by Pelican Power »

Actually she said "Go Green Wave"....which of course is different from what we say... "roll wave"....but they had to make sure the audience would understand.

Funny how the show decided to hit lsu in the mouth. Thank goodness, TU was getting so many hard shots in the first two episodes.
Last edited by Pelican Power on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TULANE University of Louisiana

OliveGreenandBlue! We love thee!

1932-ROSE Wave 1935-SUGAR Wave
1940-SUGAR Wave 2
1970-Year of the Green 1973-Bluebonnet Wave 1979-Experience Wave Craze
1998-PERFECT Wave
2013-Bowl Wave
2023-COTTON Wave
Observer
President's Circle

Post by Observer »

I think it falls far short of being a "great show," but it is entertaining. They seem to have a extreme hatred for the police. But the experessions concerning Tulane are on target.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I have not seen the show yet because my condo cable does not have HBO access. Question: has the street violinist/busker character named "Annie" shown up yet? In casting, after 3 rounds of auditions in NYC, it came down to my daughter and the young woman who got the part. I tried to get my daughter to say her dad was a Tulane alumnus, to help sway the pick 8) .
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Trifling Greenie
Breaker Level

Post by Trifling Greenie »

One of the lines from a previous episode was "I hate Baton Rouge. I hate it more than words could say." I think it might have been from the same girl who said the last one about the LSU fans.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

sounds to me that the people producing it realize that New Orleans is not, from an athletics standpoint, a suburb of Baton Rouge.

Might have to watch for it...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
wave-em in
President's Circle

Post by wave-em in »

TUPF wrote:I have not seen the show yet because my condo cable does not have HBO access. Question: has the street violinist/busker character named "Annie" shown up yet? In casting, after 3 rounds of auditions in NYC, it came down to my daughter and the young woman who got the part. I tried to get my daughter to say her dad was a Tulane alumnus, to help sway the pick 8) .
Yes she has. If I'm not mistaken, aren't these characters based on the guy who cut up his girlfriend and cooked/froze different parts?
Hannibal Heyes
Navigator Level

Post by Hannibal Heyes »

Just caught a few minutes of the last episode (I think) and the character played by John Goodman was reading a letter from Tulane announcing the dropping of the engineering programs. His character was very sarcastic, mentioning some of the programs kept instead of engineering.

As far as the rest of the show, it seems to be a fairly authentic portrayal of the way it was immediately after Katrina. I can't watch it, to tell you the truth. Also, as they seem to be trying to be as realistic as possible, why can't they understand that people from New Orleans do not have southern accents?
Don't believe anything you read on the internet, including this post.
JKO
Navigator Level

Post by JKO »

wave-em in wrote:
TUPF wrote:I have not seen the show yet because my condo cable does not have HBO access. Question: has the street violinist/busker character named "Annie" shown up yet? In casting, after 3 rounds of auditions in NYC, it came down to my daughter and the young woman who got the part. I tried to get my daughter to say her dad was a Tulane alumnus, to help sway the pick 8) .
Yes she has. If I'm not mistaken, aren't these characters based on the guy who cut up his girlfriend and cooked/froze different parts?
The same thought occurred to me (he seems to be a psychopath), but I haven't heard or seen that the real life couple is in fact the motivation.

TUPF - the "Annie" character is a good one. Wish it had gone to someone from the TU family.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Observer wrote:I think it falls far short of being a "great show," but it is entertaining. They seem to have a extreme hatred for the police. But the experessions concerning Tulane are on target.
While I have great respect for the NOPD, and know several fine officers, I'm not sure anyone (including most cops) would argue that Katrina and post-Katrina were NOPD's finest hour. It would be hard to do an "authentic" show set when Treme is set and not have SOME police bashing
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Hannibal Heyes wrote:
As far as the rest of the show, it seems to be a fairly authentic portrayal of the way it was immediately after Katrina. I can't watch it, to tell you the truth. Also, as they seem to be trying to be as realistic as possible, why can't they understand that people from New Orleans do not have southern accents?
Why does everyone on CSI Miami wear long sleeves? Why are there virtually no Hispanics on CSI Miami? Why have I ever watched CSI Miami? :roll:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

JKO wrote:TUPF - the "Annie" character is a good one. Wish it had gone to someone from the TU family.
Thanks! My daughter would have loved living in New Orleans for the filming and only got asked to audition through contacts in the classical music world. She is a violin soloist, not an actor. Still--it sure would have given dad another reason to return to New Orleans.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Hannibal Heyes
Navigator Level

Post by Hannibal Heyes »

FW wrote:Why are there virtually no Hispanics on CSI Miami?
I haven't watched CSI Miami very much, but I thought there were at least a couple of Hispanics on it. I looked it up on imdb: Adam Rodriguez (actor) & Natalia Boa Vista (character).

Anyway, I'm not so sure that CSI Miami is trying to be authentic whereas Treme is. Anyway, those southern accents drive me crazy. They even have some of the black actors with southern accents, which is just as crazy unauthentic as you can get.
Don't believe anything you read on the internet, including this post.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Hannibal Heyes wrote:
FW wrote:Why are there virtually no Hispanics on CSI Miami?
I haven't watched CSI Miami very much, but I thought there were at least a couple of Hispanics on it. I looked it up on imdb: Adam Rodriguez (actor) & Natalia Boa Vista (character).

Anyway, I'm not so sure that CSI Miami is trying to be authentic whereas Treme is. Anyway, those southern accents drive me crazy. They even have some of the black actors with southern accents, which is just as crazy unauthentic as you can get.
That's about it, and Rodriguez' character is 1/2 Russian on the dhow.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

FW wrote:...
That's about it, and Rodriguez' character is 1/2 Russian on the dhow.
OK...a half-Russian on an Arabic boat. What'll they think of next? :wink: